How did everyone get on then?

B

binka

How did everyone get on then?

Looking for some good results here fellas, if not for the glorious Bank Holiday weather then to appease my own miserable efforts, although…

Snatched a session starting early on Saturday morning again and managed to avoid a blank with a 3lb jack that took an eight inch lure and lost a nice double (again, grrrr!) on a three inch lure, lovely Spring morning and got a complete drenching in the late morning downpour before the sun reappeared but somehow it just felt right, the fishing was hard going though and plenty of chopping and changing required to muster any interest.

Sunday was another snatch session but this time late afternoon until sunset, managed a small perch then lost one along with two small jacks and then had my most spectacular experience in over thirty years of fishing.

Having watched fry breaking the surface and unable to connect with anything by dragging a micro-lure through ‘em I decided to go for broke and put an eight inch unweighted soft body on and work it along the surface, making a good old commotion as it swirled and popped along.

Having seen a miss under my rod tip a couple of casts earlier three carpie blokes came to talk to me before I cast out to a floating raft where I’d been originally working the lure from and a pike which we all estimated to be in her mid-twenties broke the surface and launched herself full bore at the lure only to miss and roll over the line which gave me a false hope as we appeared to be connected for a brief few seconds!

Amazing… I’ve had some spectacular takes in my time but nothing like this from a fish of this size, the combination of the tail slap as she came completely out and her body landing back in the water resulted in a small swell hitting the bank from over thirty yards away and the words of one of the carpies (the guy who’s dog has its own bivvy) really made my evening…

“F*****g hell, that was awesome… have you got any hooks attached to that lure?”

Pmsl... then cried:D!

So then, how did it go?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I fished a great little fishery today, I am booked in for a match there next month so decided to go and suss it out.
I kind of knew I'd get bashed up by the locals in this small open match but hey ho..,.
An oval lake with an island at 13m the pegs are very fair. Had loads of Ide around 12oz on maggot and some very hard fighting barbel to 3lb on soft pellet.
Needless to say I got battered by the locals but I learnt a lot..

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Caught 6 tench from Wintersett (a rock hard water) - on Saturday, went today thinking I would have a similar catch - blanked!!

aebitim

Reaction score
Rare closed season outing to break the ice with Dorset and Chub to a local comercial, nice day and a few fish about. Good to put a face to a name.