Understanding what is right for you

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I have often thought to myself, whether or not I am using the right rods for the fishing I am doing. I'm comfortable with the Rods I have, but, could I have bought better?

How do you decide which rods to buy for the situations you mostly find yourselves in?

With Test Curve Rods, does the test curve dictate the distance that rod can cast or how heavy the line is that you can use or do you just buy a rod that could suit all the situations you may find yourself fishing in?

What should we be looking for in a rod and do the manufacturers truly provide us with what we need or just what sells?

stillwater blue

Reaction score
With Test Curve Rods, does the test curve dictate the distance that rod can cast or how heavy the line is that you can use or do you just buy a rod that could suit all the situations you may find yourself fishing in?

It's more complex, the TC gives an idea of the size of lead and poundage of line that can be used. Roughly speaking x5 idea line strength, x4 mini and x6 max. As far as ideal casting weight goes for every lb you can use an oz. Having said that carbon rods are a hint more flexible.

The action of the rod has alot of influence if not more influence on casting. Fast actioned rods cast further than parabolic action which in turn cast further than a through action rod. All thinks being equal I could probably cast a 2.5lb fast actioned rod further than a 3lb through action rod. Presuming you can compress the rod, a 3.5lb fast action rod with a suitable lead will cast further than the same rod in a lower TC.

What should we be looking for in a rod and do the manufacturers truly provide us with what we need or just what sells?

Being supply and demand the manufacturers supply what the most want but perhaps not what I'm looking for.

Keith M

Reaction score
The modern trend of using 2.7lb to 3.5lb rods and big pit reels for Carp; on smallish waters seems totally foreign to me but you see it all the time nowerdays.

Especially when we used to catch 20's and 30's on 1lb tc rods and a 2lb tc rod was considered a long range rod back in the 70's/80's LOL...

Both Yates and Walker caught their 51lb & 44lb records on short 1.5lb-ish (max) split cane rods.

I love catching decent sized Carp on lighter 1.5lb to 2lb test curve rods with a more forgiving through action, and unless I was chucking a heavy lead to the horizon I wouldn't dream of using 3lb tc rods and big pit reels like I see a lot of anglers using on smaller waters today.

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have often thought to myself, whether or not I am using the right rods for the fishing I am doing. I'm comfortable with the Rods I have, but, could I have bought better?

Only you can decide if the rods you have are right for you and the fishing you do. I find that not giving a shiny **** what other people think goes a long way towards giving you peace of mind in that respect.
As to whether you could have bought better, most probably, it's the very thought that drives our never ending consumer economy. The trick is to learn to be happy with what you've got or be prepared to either buy the very best you can find at the outset or go for the never ending upgrade route.

How do you decide which rods to buy for the situations you mostly find yourselves in?

Stupid amounts of time researching through catalogues, websites and tackle shops combined with a good dollop of experience. I know I have my own preferences and I know others are different. Minor differences in something as daft as the length and thickness of a cork handle can change the way a rod feels entirely. I know I can't abide a thick handle on a rod, it would render the best blank in the world unusable for me. Someone else could be quite the opposite.

People get far too hung up on test curves. They give some idea of the suitable line ratings and the casting weight they may be capable of chucking, but that's not the full story. Achievable distance has more to do with the individual concerned and the action of the rod. TC ratings give no clue as to the action of the rod and not all 2.75lb rods are equal.

Look for something that fits your preferences and your types of fishing. Most manufacturers are only ever going to provide what sells, they won't stay in business long if they don't. However, you can find the most obscure and specific rod if you look hard enough. Failing that, you've always got the custom option. Four different types of rod that I want are barely covered by the majority of manufacturers these days, proper stick float rods, light carp rods (2-2.5lbTC), genuinely powerful real float rods at 13' (not poxy Avons) and short (10' ish) tip action small river/beck trotting rods. There's good reason for that though, apart from me, they'd barely sell them.

---------- Post added at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

The modern trend of using 2.7lb to 3.5lb rods and big pit reels for Carp; on smallish waters seems totally foreign to me but you see it all the time nowerdays.

You can only presume that some can only justify one set of rods/reels and not multiple set ups for different waters. That theory falls down a bit when it comes to those that never fish anything other than small waters with such gear. I'd guess that such folks are unduly influenced by the various media sources without actually thinking about what they are buying and why.

Especially when we used to catch 20's and 30's on 1lb tc rods and a 2lb tc rod was considered a long range rod back in the 80's. LOL...

Both Yates and Walker caught their 51lb & 44lb records on short 1.5lb (ish) split cane rods

They did indeed, but this way of thinking is part of the whole TC red herring.
I well recall that my first proper carp rod was 1.5lb. I then got what I considered an absolute monster of a rod at 1.75lb. However, if I ever used a lead greater than 1oz, I'd be surprised. I don't suppose Yates or Walker were ever going to try and chuck 3oz leads, with PVA bags, to the horizon. I'm not the biggest fan of such fishing myself, but do accept that high TC rods have little to do with the size of the fish being fished for and everything to do with the methods employed.

sam vimes

Reaction score
This is something that I hear and read a lot, what do you mean by it?

'Tip action', 'through action' and 'progressive action', I feel are self explanatory, but if you look at a parabolic curve it doesn't describe the curve of a fishing rod.

Take a look at a Parabolic Curve

I've always taken it as marketing speak. However, I'll take Dr Harrison's meaning of somewhere in between tip and through actioned as a starting point. He also gives a good explanation of the whole test curve nonsense.

rod-action.jpg

Last edited:

guest61

Reaction score
I've always taken it as marketing speak. However, I'll take Dr Harrison's meaning of somewhere in between tip and through actioned as a starting point. He also gives a good explanation of the whole test curve nonsense.

rod-action.jpg

Yes, you see I can go with that or the (if you remember) old Shakespeare rating system.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
'Tip action', 'through action' and 'progressive action', I feel are self explanatory, but if you look at a parabolic curve it doesn't describe the curve of a fishing rod.

Take a look at a Parabolic Curve

Cut it in half and it does.

In all fairness it's probably, as already said, just a marketing term as it does sound more impressive than medium action and men do appear to like jargon.

aebitim

Reaction score
Isnt parabolic a next step from compound tapers, one of my rods is a powercurve which functions parabolicly ish. Ring friction seems to be the problem with parabolic curves as the angle of the line through the rings seems to increase dramatically as the rod bends.

guest61

Reaction score
Isnt parabolic a next step from compound tapers, one of my rods is a powercurve which functions parabolicly ish. Ring friction seems to be the problem with parabolic curves as the angle of the line through the rings seems to increase dramatically as the rod bends.

Dunno, if you look at the diagram posted by Sam, non of those described look parabolic to me or even 'half parabolic' for that matter. It just seems like a phrase that's used to describe something, inaccurately. The last person that I heard say it was Alan Scothorne he was playing a Carp and saying how the rod was bending with a parabolic curve except it wasn't and the co-commentator agreed with him.

Stillwater Blue - Sorry for starting off on it. It reads like I'm desperate for accuracy - I can assure you that I'm not, I was just wondering about the use of the term.

aebitim

Reaction score
Dunno, if you look at the diagram posted by Sam, non of those described look parabolic to me or even 'half parabolic' for that matter. It just seems like a phrase that's used to describe something, inaccurately. The last person that I heard say it was Alan Scothorne he was playing a Carp and saying how the rod was bending with a parabolic curve except it wasn't and the co-commentator agreed with him.

Stillwater Blue - Sorry for starting off on it. It reads like I'm desperate for accuracy - I can assure you that I'm not, I was just wondering about the use of the term.

I hear what you are saying and you are correct, however the diagrams dont show a compound taper which was developed I think by Leslie Moncrief.
A true parabolic curve can never be achievied in a fishing rod as it needs to be stiff, but the advantages of a parabolic curve can be used in a fishing rod to an extent. . . . possibly Interesting more thought required.

C

chefster

Sometimes i just pick something up pole or rod and i instinctively know whether its right or wrong for me-sometimes i,ve bought from Ebay and held the product and just new it was right ,other times i new it was wrong and immediatly sold it!!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Very interesting discussion just as an aside how far are some of you guys casting ?
Because of the places I fish thirty yards is probably the most I need I have a one point five test curve cap rod and frankly I don't think I ever really needed it, but it's fascinating to think someone might actually be casting one hundred yards like some kind of Olympic event, makes you sooner what the record is.

aebitim

Reaction score
Very interesting discussion just as an aside how far are some of you guys casting ?
Because of the places I fish thirty yards is probably the most I need I have a one point five test curve cap rod and frankly I don't think I ever really needed it, but it's fascinating to think someone might actually be casting one hundred yards like some kind of Olympic event, makes you sooner what the record is.

over 300 metres danny somebody from belgium I managed 206 metrs over grass a few years ago

nicepix

Reaction score

The only way to know what works and what doesn't is experience Steph. Everything is a compromise. If you want to chuck a 3oz lead and PVA bag full of boilies into the middle distance you can't expect the rod to be forgiving if a 5lb carp goes berserk at the net. Similarly if you have a through actioned rod to lean into fish you can't expect it to pick up line as quick on the strike.

On the theme of parabolic road, the nearest I've seen are the original Ugly Stik rods. I have two, a light spinning rod and a 2 - 6oz uptider, and you can almost touch the butt with the tip ring on them. I've started using the uptider as a catfish rod especially for live baiting using the helicopter rig (rod fished vertical). The tip is so sensitive it shows every knock, yet the rod will lift the almost same weight off the ground as a 5.5lb test curve spod rod.

terry m

Reaction score
It is a very personal thing, but it does extend beyond simple test curves.

Many factors have to be considered, size of water, species, methods used, snags present etc etc. And whilst very few of us can afford a set of rods for every possible permutation, then a compromise is normally the answer. And in that way you can cater for the most oft encountered circumstances. Then factor in things like preference for specific length, manufacturers, cork handles, ring type............

No, it is not a simple choice.

sam vimes

Reaction score

A three pound plus carp rod is really intended for chucking 2.5oz plus leads and PVA bags in excess of 100 yards. I'll bet the bulk of such rods sold are never used for such distances. That doesn't stop the hordes buying them though. I'll also put good money on most users not being able to achieve anything like the distances that their rods are capable of. In an ideal world, I'll use the lightest rods I can get away with.

Here's a couple of videos for your amusement. The first is on distance casting, the second blows away the high TC = "skull dragging" argument that's regularly trotted out.

NEW NASH NR CARP FISHING RODS GET A BLASTING FROM TERRY EDMONDS - NASH TV EXCLUSIVE! - YouTube

Rod Test Curves - Bivvy.TV - YouTube

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I am as guilty as hell for buying Rods etc and never truly understanding why I really needed them, all I knew was that at that time it was what was the Trend. I spent a lot of money on items that I could have easily lived without or spent the money more wisely.

I do like to think that I am comfortable with where I am at with regards to my fishing and what I would like from it, rather than what others would have us believe sometimes is right for everyone.

nicepix

Reaction score
A three pound plus carp rod is really intended for chucking 2.5oz plus leads and PVA bags in excess of 100 yards. I'll bet the bulk of such rods sold are never used for such distances. That doesn't stop the hordes buying them though. I'll also put good money on most users not being able to achieve anything like the distances that their rods are capable of. In an ideal world, I'll use the lightest rods I can get away with.

Here's a couple of videos for your amusement. The first is on distance casting, the second blows away the high TC = "skull dragging" argument that's regularly trotted out.

NEW NASH NR CARP FISHING RODS GET A BLASTING FROM TERRY EDMONDS - NASH TV EXCLUSIVE! - YouTube

Rod Test Curves - Bivvy.TV - YouTube

That second video is reminiscent of a test carried out by Richard Walker to show the actual hooking power of ledger rod at distance. I think it was something to do with the long range tactics used at Arlsey.

You can replicate it without an assistant using a bucket of water and seeing how much, or how little weight the rod will lift.

Several years ago when everybody used six foot 50lb class tackle for inshore boat fishing I bet my mate that he couldn't lift a gallon of water weighing 10lb from the ground onto a chair. He is a big bloke, 6' 4" and 24 stone and his arm muscles were rippling like nothing I've ever seen, sweat pumped out of his brow, and the best he could do was skim the bucket over the ground. :D

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Watching the Videos was a real eye opener, although I would have preferred it if they had both used Mono as a comparison.

I had some nice Shimano 2½lb TC Rods when I first started carp fishing, many years ago now, but, everyone was like oh you need a bigger test curve, and yes, I sold them and bought some Fox 3lb ones instead ..... They didn't help me catch anymore3 fish either, I should have took them back and asked for a refund :D