Lead core leaders.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Keep seeing leadcore leaders in rig pics and seen plenty in adverts in fishing mags and on dvd`s etc.... but nobody seems to say who,what where and why they are using one.

Anyone care to explain...many thanks chaps.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
They are good for anchoring a helicopter rig to the bottom of a lake or slow flowing water. Particularly a rig with a pop-up bait like Terry Hearn's 'chod rig'.

Some people use the weight of the leadcore alone for casting baits short distances which results in a virtually free-lined approach.

I have used it for said helicopter rigs but only once or twice, did catch my pb carp on one though.

I have also read that it offers good abrasion resistance (in the latest Kryston catalogue) and some people use a leader of it when fishing snaggy swims (the example they gave was the Ebro in Spain).

Whatever rig you use it in make sure that the hooklength can easily come off the leadcore in the event of a mainline breakage.

By the way, is that you hidingin the back pages of the recent Angling Times Nick?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply paul....the leadcore is basicaly for pinning the line down on the deck then,plus it does have some good anti abrasion qualities .Is it better and easier than using a heavy putty on your line for keeping it on the deck or rig tubing???

I don`t know about the angling times paul because i haven`t brought it for a long long time.I`m in improve your coarse fishing,in themission accomplished section (one of the catches of the month,holding a barbel).

The editor kev green rang me up at home a few weeks ago and said he had my pic in front of him,to which i replied "blimey ,i sent that in last july!!!" He went on to explain that they literally do get thousands of pics and just have to wade through them.I then explained to him the story of the capture etc... and he said it`s gonna be in this months edition.

I did do a write up of it all for fishing magic /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

it was albert romp that first used leadcore -on Savay to keep the line out of the way with some spooky fish. it also gives some abrasion resistance. i use it all the time as its easier than threading tubing /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

"Terry Hearns" chod rig - even terry hearn says it was frank warwick that showed him the rig, and it was in mags back in the 60's. nowt new in angling.......

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
The ones i have seen most recently have a loop either end.I presume you just tie one end to the mainline and atatch a quick change link to the other???

Any particular knot to use when tying it to the mainline???

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Maybe it was IYCF I sawNick, I'm not sure now.

I tend to use backleads with a float stop to limit their travelling distance up the line if I want to pin some line down behind my rig.

Like I say I've only used it a couple of times for helicopter style rigs, I personally wouldn't feel it was safe to use it directly between mainline and hooklength in case of an unfortunate break in the mainline leaving a fish towing arount 2 feet or more of heavy, strong leadcore.

'Nowt new in angling'

I'm coming to realise that Frothey, just re-inventions of existing ideas and new gadgets to achieve the same rigs. Only mentioned Terry as that's the only time I've ever seen the rig attributed to someone specific.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Ehh Frothey,..... Does Albert Romp still tuck his vest in his underpant's?./forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

My mate always said, never trust a man that tucks his vest in his underpant's/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

dunno spiders, but i once paid to spend a weekend with him, bob, mally and rod..... never laughed so much!