A return to proper fishing for me.......

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
... For the last few weeks I have been carp bashing on commercials, great fun indeed, but becoming slightly tiresome..
This Sunday will be our 1st club match on the canal (Grand Union) at Tring.
I am looking forward to scratching for gudgeon and small roach and perch.
Bread punches are ready and shallow far bank pole rigs.

Anyone else fishing this weekend?

C

chefster

Tunnel Barn Farm (Club Pool) on Friday,but working at the weekend,good luck with the scratching!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes. I have a couple of boxes of dry Mayfly patterns on the desk in front of me, plus three others of small dry flies - Hawthorns, Black Gnats, Olives, Parachutes, Ants, Beetles, Emergers, Klinkhamers etc - for a day that an old pal of mine is giving me on a Southern chalkstream, as he does a few times every trout season. Stocked trout, but the country in its new spring livery will look lovely.

guest61

Reaction score
I plan to slider fish a deep club pool for Roach and Bream - possibility of Tench too, I'm getting a 'semi' just thinking about it.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Mr Crabtree, good luck in the match! I've been fishing the GU in Tring for a few years now and have found it normally quite kind. Shame a lot of the carp disappeared from the Red Lion stretch as that was a favourite of my Dad I for a while. Don't think I'll be there enough to warrant renewing the membership this year which is a shame.

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
Hi there
I got into carp fishing on the Tring GU behind Marsworth... back in 1976. We started off catching them on a float with sweetcorn...

We would get large bags of what by today's standards are small carp, more like you get on commercials. but it got us the carp bug and 37 years later I'm still hooked on carp fishing.

cheers
Gareth

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The good old GU. Mostly dead when I was a kid (hard-won tiddlers even for top match rods on the bits around my way), yet I feed doubles on my walks now, and a few twenties and even an OMG! thirty-plus-plus. Pets to me they are and especially to the hairy geezer and 'is lady who feed them from their boat. Be positively uncivil to stick a hook in them. There's one in the river not far away that I'm keeping an eye on, however...

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Is the GUGGI (Grand Union Gobio Gobio Institute(?) ) still in existence? I read about it some time ago, it sounds a fun thing. Catching a gudgeon on the Grand Union being the membership qualifier. :)

dangermouse

Reaction score
Is the GUGGI (Grand Union Gobio Gobio Institute(?) ) still in existence? I read about it some time ago, it sounds a fun thing. Catching a gudgeon on the Grand Union being the membership qualifier. :)

GUGGS - Grand Union Gobio Gobio Society

Just had a quick look at their specimen weights. Quite small by my local standards, I weighed one last week at 39.6gm/1.4oz and it wasn`t huge compared to some I`ve seen.

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Used to be stiff with "Gudge" in places (as were certain bits of the Kennet and a couple of swims in "Gudgeon Central" on the Thames near Maidenhead). Gone the way of Burbot, now, I fear. So dependable, once upon a time, if only for perch livebait.

B

binka

Yep I have no choice but to leave the jig gear at home this weekend as some idiot has asked me to pair up with him on his club water pairs invitation match... not sure where he got the notion that I would be a good idea :eek: :)

Put in's at 2pm until 8pm so at least I get my first sleep in for weeks, might still have a rove around with the jig gear Saturday afternoon and evening though.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Marsh Farm for proper fishing Monday;) and probably the estate lake for some tench later in the week.
Jerry