Lead core

C

Chris Bishop

I know carpers use lead core and I'm wondering if I could use it to nail down the line above the trace when I'm deadbaiting in shallow water with a pencil float rig.

Not sure how strong it is, or how good the knots I've seen in some of the mags are.

I want to tie one end of it to a swivel, the other to either another swivel, or straight to 20lb Fireline or 50lbs Whiplash braid.

How do you knot it up..?

C

Carp Angler

Ready prepared leadcore leaders are available in either 24 or 36" and are looped at both ends, to these you can loop to loop a swivel at one end and then the other end can be tied direct to your mainline with a standard grinner or clinch/uni knot.

Alternatively you can buy braided leadcore on a spool and tie your own and either splice your own loops in or tie on with the needle knot.

Leadcore flyline can be used in the same way, but if you need a loop then you'll need to buy braided leader loops (fluff chucking gear).

R

Roto fryer

big fish adventure do leadcore leaders up to 78 inches in length with a 45 lb breaking strain

C

Carp Angler

Sorry Roto, you're right.
I only have experience of the Nash Limpets and the Gardner ones.
Nash ones are 25 or 35lb and are available in 24, 36 or 48".
The Gardner ready tied ones come with a swivel on one end, but I would suggest steering clear of their spools of leadcore as I've found it untidy to knot and impossible to splice.

ESP also do leadcore but it is only good for the needle knot and is impossible to do anything else with.

A

andrew jackson

I have used the e.s.p lead core and found it to be fine I actualy prefer the needle knot, so that helps. The nash limpets look like a good bit of kit, my mate uses them all the time and they last for ages. They dont do his catch rate any harm, either.

S

Steve Parsons

I use ESP leadcore and whilst it is difficult, i find it can be spliced to form loops.I pre do mine at home so fiddling about makes no difference.If you are unsure then FOX do leadcore which is easy to splice into loops but it dosn't seem as tough as ESP to me.
If you don't fancy splicing then go for a ready done leader as recommended above.

C

Chris Bishop

How strong is it..? Dreamed a top rig up but the suggested knots I read in a mag didn't look that reliable. Instead of using a couple of swan shots to hold the trace down, I wondered if this stuff would do the same job and not catch on weed etc when you got a take.

W

wayne mitchell

hi stuart its ian cakeys boy thanks 4 the vitalin it will get used this weekend

W

wayne mitchell

cakey we know wot we r doing c u later yt and wayne

G

Gary Knowles

Chris - its not very abrasion resistant mate, so take care !

I've had the ESP 45lb part very easilly when brushed against rocks...

C

Chris Bishop

Cheers Gary - I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the bother, maybe there's a reason swan shots have been around for centuries.

C

Carp Angler

I've found the complete opposite.
I mainly use the Nash Limpets and have found these to be very abrasion resistant.

G

Gary Knowles

Rik,

I suppose it's because I was using it in conjunction with really heavy braid when carping in Canada (Power pro in 65lb). The cut offs we had where when a fish was being held under tremendous pressure, if the braid brushed against the rock, nothing. If the leadcore touched it, it just sliced like a knife through butter.

Certainly if I wanted an abrasion resistant length above the hook I would go for power-pro braid again or even quicksilver.