Angling Trust RiverFest 2013

dave harrell

Reaction score
Hello all. I've noticed some comments on various forums about RiverFest 2013 and as there seems to be an amount of confusion for some people I thought I'd let you know what it's all about and what the state of play is.

WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT? Here's the official press release...

Just in case you've missed all the publicity so far here's the information all about the competition that carries Britain's biggest ever prize for an individual river event...

It's a brand new competition, which will carry the biggest ever individual river competition first prize of £10,000, plus more big main list and section cash prizes in the final gets underway in July.

RiverFest 2013 is the brainchild of river expert Dave Harrell who has been working closely with the Angling Trust to put the competition in place. Twenty qualifiers of 60 anglers on various river venues around the country will see three anglers from each match qualify for a two-day weight aggregate final on the fish rich River Wye at Hereford on the weekend of November 16th and 17th.

Dave Harrell said: “While it’s been great to see some big money events created on commercial fisheries over the past few years, natural fishing has been largely ignored. This new competition is an idea I’ve been thinking about for a while and it’s now going to happen thanks to the involvement of the Angling Trust.”

“The response to date has been fantastic as river match organisers from all over the country have come forward, keen to get involved with the competition. We’ve got 20 qualifying matches this year and it is the Trust’s intention to make the competition even bigger in the years to come."

"We gave a lot of consideration to the choice of venue for the final and eventually settled on the River Wye as it’s a place that lends itself to various skills and methods. We felt this was important, as we didn’t want to alienate anyone who qualified by putting him or her on a venue where they had little or no chance of competing. With a two-day total weight final as well this will make it much fairer for everyone to compete. The main target species in the final will be chub, barbel, roach, dace and perch and approaches will include both float and feeder tactics depending where you draw.”

“We are now actively looking for a sponsor for the competition as we have a lot to offer in terms of company, or product exposure and promotion. Any interested party is invited to get in touch with me through my email address at: info@daveharrellangling.com in the first instance.”

Mark Lloyd, chief executive of the Angling Trust said: “We’re all very grateful to Dave for spearheading the launch of this new competition and for helping us launch it so rapidly. It’s an exciting new addition to our match calendar and we hope it will recruit some new members to the Angling Trust to support our work fighting to protect fish and fishing and recruiting the anglers of the future.”

Entry forms to apply for the qualifying matches are available from the Angling Trust, and a form will also be available in Angling Times and Anglers Mail. There will also be further details and entry details available on the Angling Trust website at Angling Trust Organisation for Anglers where you can find a downloadable entry form that you can print off now.

QUALIFIER DATES AND VENUES

JULY 20TH – RIVER YARE

JULY 21ST – GREAT OUSE, LITTLEPORT

JULY 28TH – RIVER CALDER, Mirfield

AUGUST 4TH – BRISTOL AVON, NEWBRIDGE AND SALTFORD

AUGUST 10TH – RIVER TRENT – TORKSEY, NORTH CLIFTON, SOUTH CLIFTON

AUGUST 17TH – RIVER SWALE, MORTON

AUGUST 18TH – RIVER URE, RIPON

AUGUST 18TH – RIVER TRENT, BURTON

AUGUST 31ST – RIVER TEES, BOWESFIELD

SEPTEMBER 1ST – RIVER DERWENT – BORROWASH AND DERBY.

SEPTEMBER 14TH – RIVER SEVERN, BRIDGNORTH

SEPTEMBER 15TH – RIVER SEVERN, BEWDLEY

SEPTEMBER 21ST – RIVER CALDER, ALTOFTS

SEPTEMBER 21ST – RIVER SEVERN, UPTON UPON SEVERN

SEPTEMBER 22ND – WARWICKSHIRE AVON, EVESHAM

SEPTEMBER 28TH – RIVER TRENT, BURTON

SEPTEMBER 29TH – RIVER THAMES, MEDLEY

OCTOBER 5TH – RIVER SEVERN, SHREWSBURY

OCTOBER 6TH – RIVER TRENT, LAUGHTERTON, NORTH CLIFTON

OCTOBER 12TH - WARWICKSHIRE AVON, EVESHAM

WHERE ARE WE AT?
The tickets went on sale this week and the response has been fantastic. We will definitely sell the competition out judging by the response to date and it will be even bigger in years to come. We are currently looking for a big sponsor to join forces with and it is my intention to turn this into a huge competition in the future.
Tickets are £25 to enter. Prizes: £10,000, £5,000, £3,000, £2,000, £1,000 plus 10 x £150 sections every six pegs on each of the two final days. The final is a two day aggregate weight competition. (Prize money could well be a lot more if we get the level of sponsorship we are looking for). Plus we'll have trophies and other sponsored prizes for all the finalists.
Pools on the day of the qualifier are £20. This will cover peg fees and pools which will be paid out in line with the organisers normal way of paying out on the regular open matches.

I predict that all 1200 qualifying tickets will be sold and looking at response it wont take long either. So, get in quick or miss out is my advice!

Here are some useful links for you to follow:
www.facebook.com/anglingtrustriverfest
www.facebook.com/daveharrellangling
Dave Harrell Angling
Angling Trust Organisation for Anglers
Twitter: @ATRiverFest2013

Finally, if anyone has any questions that need answering by the people who know the answers, please contact the Angling Trust or me and we will help you.

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that Dave - a brilliant event that deserves full support - and it certainly has ours!