Stillwater Barbel (pt 2)

C

chefster

Fished at TBF @Shrewley,Warks yesterday,and among my catch were a dozen mint condition,fin perfect,fighting fit barbel up to about 2lb,s doing absolutely perfectly in a small lake,grown immensely since stocked,and adding a lovely accompanying variety to mirrors,commons, F1s,tench,skimmers etc.Now this water is matched fished week in ,week out and these fish never had a mark on them !!!:)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
What an absolutely stupid idea to stock a fish which belongs in a crystal clear river, swimming freely amongst the rununculus....
Putting them in muddy puddles warrants the death penalty.
Next thing they start stocking will be chub.
I'm disgusted.
Whatever next..salmon?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
What an absolutely stupid idea to stock a fish which belongs in a crystal clear river, swimming freely amongst the rununculus....
Putting them in muddy puddles warrants the death penalty.
Next thing they start stocking will be chub.
I'm disgusted.
Whatever next..salmon?

Its a question of taste really , the idea of barbel in commercials doesn't offend me , I can understand though if that isn't true for those for whom barbel represent an increasingly romantic notion of clear clean rivers and the noble , yet gentle angler.

So i think I understand your disgust but i would happily fish it.

Also fish do not feel pain and are bately more than biological automata so it doesn't matter anyway.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Fished at TBF @Shrewley,Warks yesterday,and among my catch were a dozen mint condition,fin perfect,fighting fit barbel up to about 2lb,s doing absolutely perfectly in a small lake,grown immensely since stocked,and adding a lovely accompanying variety to mirrors,commons, F1s,tench,skimmers etc.Now this water is matched fished week in ,week out and these fish never had a mark on them !!!:)

Why do fisheries insist on stocking fish that simply don't belong there?!

Carp are a non-native fish that belong in their home range of asia :D

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Ha ha its not a wind up , I just played the big Yu-Gi-Oh card straight away ( and two more cards face down )

There was an enormous thread a while ago about fish pain so I wonder where in the Venn diagram those people involved with that thread will be on this one.

However I can totally understand why barbel in stillwaters may not be to some peoples taste , fishing is so wide and diverse that there is room for everyone.

Steve Ruff

Reaction score
Is it a pure coincidence that the number of Barbel in the river Teme seemed to take a noticeable drop when still waters started to stock Barbel ?

I know there are many other factors which may also have had an impact but I can't help but feel that some still water Barbel actually came from various rivers in the first instance.

My personal opinion is that Barbel belong in the rivers.

Steve

C

chefster

Is it a pure coincidence that the number of Barbel in the river Teme seemed to take a noticeable drop when still waters started to stock Barbel ?

I know there are many other factors which may also have had an impact but I can't help but feel that some still water Barbel actually came from various rivers in the first instance.

My personal opinion is that Barbel belong in the rivers.

Steve
I dont think these barbel were stolen from a river!!,and why should,nt they be in a lake,they are in better condition than some river fish!!