How did everyone get on then?

B

binka

How did everyone get on then?

Another weekend and another couple of sessions, I was pleased to get a normal session in on Sunday for the first time in months fishing as a guest on my former club water in their pairs invitation match and as predicted the going was rock hard on what is normally a difficult water at the best of times.

I drew and the pegs were paired up with a good one and a not so good one so my mate took up on what is usually a flyer and I took the five yard walk for the car park peg and I ended up with two bites for the entire match which resulted in two perch for 2lb 3oz on my favourite chopped worm and waggler, my mate managed one perch for 15oz and out of five pairs there were three anglers who never mustered a bite and we came third with an isolated 17lb winning it.

A bit more productive the evening earlier where I nicked a couple of hours for a jig session and had a nice pike on the light gear

So then, how did it go for you... ?

jimlad

Reaction score
Well done mate.

I went fly fishing for the first time this year on my local river tees. I got there for 6am and I don't know why because it took until 10.30 for any sign of life to show. A nice trout was the result, 1 oz off a pound.

egyhegup.jpg

yzuby3um.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I had a frustrating sunday morning session.

I got to my local lake just before first light, mixed the ground bait, plumbed up and baited the swim. The fact that there was heavy shade on the water and couldn't see the float tip didn't matter a jot as I'd bought my night lights with me, or at least I thought I had. I spent the first hour fishing a meter or so off my baited area into a single patch of light on the water. I actually caught very well but apart from a single pound roach and a couple of bream I was plagued by tiddlers. Around 11ish the wind had picked up too much to fish the float effectively anymore so I packed up to watch the grandprix.

I went back out in the evening for a couple of hours on another lake with the lure kit. A spent a hopeful hour fishing jitterbugs and zara spooks but it produced nothing in the shallows. However I did see a couple of really big tench roll so I'll be back for a go at those. A move to the the deeper sections of the lakes produced two jacks and a handful of 'eyes bigger than belly' perch on a mepps aglia long.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Yesterday I fished the first match of my clubs' (The Tring anglers) 2013/14 calendar. We fished the GUC at Tring on a fairly narrow 11m wide pound. I set up 2 pole rigs, one short for far bank and one deep for bottom of the far shelf.
Started by cupping a small ball of sweet fishmeal groundbait on the deep line.
Very slow for the first hour but a few small roach, skimmers and perch fell to to single red maggot. Then I hit a bite and a streak of orange no3 elastic flew out and resulted in a big perch of around 1lb 8. Having disturbed this line I went across on the shallow rig with bread punch and caught a series of small roach until I snagged an overhanging bush. Pop went my no3 section and the top 2 were left attached to the snag...
A young lad walked round and freed it for me but even telescoped, the section was too badly broken to use.
Back on the deep rig for the last 2 hours and a few more roach with one better one at last knockings. I was last to be weighed in and it was 3rd or bust. With 2lb 8oz I narrowly beat the third weight by one ounce to frame.
Winner had 3 big perch for 6lb. 2nd had a big perch and bits for 4lb.
13 fished.....

sam vimes

Reaction score
For the second time this year I ditched the float rods and maggots and did a full on carping overnight session. However, I ditched the bivvy and went for the brolly instead. Fishing at distances that I couldn't dream of with the float gear, I managed two in the space of an early morning hour. Unfortunately, the first was a contender for the most gruesome carp I've ever seen. Luckily, the second, despite not being huge, was an absolute cracker of a common. When it grows a bit more it'll be an absolute joy to behold. The fact that these were the first runs and boilie caught fish I've ever had in over three seasons on the water, raised a decent smile.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Well done on the carp chris...

Cheers, Jim. Unless someone is playing the secretive game, there's been a whole eight carp out so far this year, I've had five of them.:) The common to mirror ratio is staying true to form for me at 4:1.

C

chefster

I could only fish on Friday due to work,fished Club pool @Tunnel Barn Farm, had about 70lb consisting of 6 mirrors,12 barbel,the rest F1,s,with a few skimmers,90% of fish came to chop worm and caster through slop,the rest to expander,but true to form with F1 fishing ,i missed a lot of bites.Back at Tunnel on Weds,practising for a match on 21st,then fishing an open on Thurs at Stockton Res,a venue which i,ve never fished before!!:D:D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Fished Friday on a local pit and had a very productive carp session taking mid/large doubles up in the water - fished Marsh Farm today and the water is very clear - never seen it like that before - still had some tench and crues on the first shelf drop on the dotted down waggler. Out again Wednesday - not sure where yet.
Jerry