Barbel gear for new season

figurebox

Reaction score
Hello,
I have recently bought myself 2 fox stratos 4000s to use for barbel in the new season and to replace the old shimanos I had that were good but were a bit worse for wear. I have since decided that I now need new barbel rods. basically id like to know what barbel rods people would recommend that arent too dear, ideally id like to get 2 identical because im a bit of a tart. does anyone know where I can get hold of discontinued rods apart from on ebay obviously.

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
Hi there
I can only comment on rods I use or my mates use...
  • Wychwood Rogue is a pretty decent rod at a low price.... they do 1.5 & 1.75lb. My mate has taken barbel to just under doubles on it & carp to 20lb.
  • Another a friend uses is the Shimano Vengence Barbel ... this comes with a series of quiver tips and an avon top section.
  • Personally I'm using the Free Spirit Tamer's in 1.75lb.
  • As you've got Fox reels, perhaps the Fox Warrior Barbel would match well. Not seen these however.

Check out Angling Direct they seem to have very good prices.
cheers
Gareth

jimlad

Reaction score
If your on a budget, you can get 2 whychwood rogues for under a ton, and they are excellent rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another vote for Wychwood. In my barbelling days I had a matched pair of their 1.75lb tc rods for fishing the Ribble, Severn and, very occasionally, the Trent and Teme and they were brilliant and didn't break the bank.

cocker

Reaction score
Hello,
I have recently bought myself 2 fox stratos 4000s to use for barbel in the new season and to replace the old shimanos I had that were good but were a bit worse for wear. I have since decided that I now need new barbel rods. basically id like to know what barbel rods people would recommend that arent too dear, ideally id like to get 2 identical because im a bit of a tart. does anyone know where I can get hold of discontinued rods apart from on ebay obviously.

hello

greys sell discontinued rods direct from themselves, ive bought them before from them, at cheaper prices, you will have to contact them, greys of alnwick