the barbel society

cocker

Reaction score
hi,
just out of conversation, and genuine interest i wondered on what peoples thoughts were.

if ime not looking for tips, advice, or information, on angling , and considering i have plenty of places to fish for barbel, and ime not into reading magazines or news letters, or "wearing a badge".

what can joining the barbel society and paying £32 do to benefit me as an individual ?

i have joined societys etc in the past i have been a member of the pike anglers club, the carp society the country side alliance etc, aswell as a few others, but i always felt i wasnt getting much for my money.

cocker

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

paulvjwhite

Reaction score
i was a member of the pike anglers club for quiet a few years, i had a problem going on their forum i asked them to help me resolve this and they could not be bothered i subsequently never renewed my membership.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Not a lot by the sound of your "CV" other than the satisfaction and pleasure of your own contribution to it. It sounds as though the BS could benefit from your membership, if you are of a contributing nature!

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Its the same with most angling groups, rather angling clubs, as Fred says you get out what your prepared to put in.

With the CSG all members are expected to contribute to the group magazine 'Chevin' the quarterly magazine published by the group. New members are encouraged to attend one of the group get together weekends (usually held Friday-Sunday) held throughout the year, although it is becoming increasingly difficult to arrange accommodation. The last two AGM weekends have been a total sell-out.

Again as Fred says, some good and long lasting friendships are formed, with some in the group being over 40 years, many marriages don't last as long as many friendships and membership durations. Oh, and we also catch a few big chub along the way.

Over the years members, and ex members, have contributed to the two very successful books the group has published 'Chub' and 'Chevin', in addition to the two 'Best of Chevin' compilations of articles published in the group magazine.

Try it (the BS) you might like it - I didn't by the way, I expected it to be more like the CSG and BCC.

rains

Reaction score
hi,
just out of conversation, and genuine interest i wondered on what peoples thoughts were.

if ime not looking for tips, advice, or information, on angling , and considering i have plenty of places to fish for barbel, and ime not into reading magazines or news letters, or "wearing a badge".

what can joining the barbel society and paying £32 do to benefit me as an individual ?

i have joined societys etc in the past i have been a member of the pike anglers club, the carp society the country side alliance etc, aswell as a few others, but i always felt i wasnt getting much for my money.

cocker
I suspect not alot really am always wary of groups like these that charge fee's/memberships the money probably just goes to the fat cats at the top buying them selfs vintage wines lol groups should be free and if you want to give a donation thats fair enough.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As a former committee man, I can confirm that there are no fat cats in the Barbel Society, all the money gets spent on the member benefits and Research & Conservation.

You know what Fred, I am going to have to bite the bullet and Join the BS!

I might just have something to offer, you never know till you try, do you? :)

chav professor

Reaction score
Its the same with most angling groups, rather angling clubs, as Fred says you get out what your prepared to put in.

With the CSG all members are expected to contribute to the group magazine 'Chevin' the quarterly magazine published by the group. New members are encouraged to attend one of the group get together weekends (usually held Friday-Sunday) held throughout the year, although it is becoming increasingly difficult to arrange accommodation. The last two AGM weekends have been a total sell-out.

Again as Fred says, some good and long lasting friendships are formed, with some in the group being over 40 years, many marriages don't last as long as many friendships and membership durations. Oh, and we also catch a few big chub along the way.

Over the years members, and ex members, have contributed to the two very successful books the group has published 'Chub' and 'Chevin', in addition to the two 'Best of Chevin' compilations of articles published in the group magazine.

Try it (the BS) you might like it - I didn't by the way, I expected it to be more like the CSG and BCC.

Joining the Chub Study Group was the best decision i ever made John.... Made to feel like I was a valued member right from the off, no egos to massage, friendly, sharing and made some great mates... It has the feel of a traditional type Single Species Group. Involvement of members at all levels is part of the success of the CSG.

Elitist? Never... Membership maintained at levels to ensure the closeness and friendliness of the group. Reminds me, need to give one of my heroes a call.... he's probably asleep in the back of his car as we speak ;)

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
No he's not, he phoned me this morning, Pro.

Elitist?? Not if they accept the likes of thee and me :D

Although we as a group are comparably wealthy, it is only through the hard work of members compiling and publishing the various books and magazines over the years. The subscription taken from members barely covers the cost of publishing and distributing the excellent quarterly magazine.

There are certainly no fat cats here buying vintage wine, rains, and your earlier comment was scurrilous and unfounded and I doubt could be attributed to any group that I am aware of.

chav professor

Reaction score
I suspect not alot really am always wary of groups like these that charge fee's/memberships the money probably just goes to the fat cats at the top buying them selfs vintage wines lol groups should be free and if you want to give a donation thats fair enough.

This remark is very far off the truth........ Not in any group I'm aware of:confused:

Merv Harrison

Reaction score

This remark is very far off the truth........ Not in any group I'm aware of:confused:

As tha not heard owt a'boot Port'n'StiltonClub, nah theres summat tha wants luckin at............

Reaction score
Thanks for the referral Merv.

Cocker, the PaSC would be delighted to have you as a member at our fish ins.

Please send your application form to our treasurer, Mr Morespiders, along with you'd subscription for £1387.67 plus a one off joining fee of £378.10 (joining fee has been frozen at this rate for six years so it's good value)

Mr C-C