Waterproof clothing for summer fishing needed

paul80

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Now that the cold weather is just about gone and summer will soon be with us, I need to find some waterproof clothing that will be ok to use during our summer torrential downpours.

Obviously I won't need any over the top thermal insulation, just something light and waterproof.

Any one got any recommendations.

I have got the Nash ones but they are about as water proof as a wet paper bag, is there anything out there worth the title of "Waterproof".

Thanks

Paul

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
i have the korum kit , bib and brace with jacket , both contain fleece inserts so ideal for winter and in summer just take out the fleece and you have a summer setup and totaly waterproof , you may be able to buy just the jacket and trousers i dont know but worth a look a the korum gear.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I bought a poncho made of rip-stop nylon last year on the net it came from an army surplus store . I wasn't able to fish during the first part of the season so it didn't get an airing. it looks like it will do the job though, it packs down pretty small and fits in a stuff bag.

elliottwaters

Reaction score
A poncho is a useful bit of kit, particularly if you are travelling light as it not only keeps your gear dry as well, but can also double as something to sit on and an emergency unhooking mat. Only downside is that there are no sleeves as such and if you are trotting and re-casting every few minutes or so your arms get wet! However, for ledgering, or still water float fishing they are fine.

Alternatively check out ****ies work wear ****ies Workwear Clothing & Safety Wear UK | Official Online Distributor - ****ies Store UK they do a variety of light weight waterproof jackets and over trousers which pack up small to fit in your box or rucksack and are fine for wet weather in the warmer months. Just remember to buy one size larger that you would normally wear to allow for your normal clothes underneath.

Cheaper than the ones specifically designed for anglers as well.

kickstart

Reaction score
The question is, do you really want "Waterproof"? Waterproof over a long period usually comes with a downside, you will sweat inside them.

If that downside can be accepted, check out the Vass waterproofs or Guy Cottem waterproofs as sold to Sea Fishermen (and Women), they are waterproof - totally, even if you sit on them or put a pressure point on them. Vass now do a lightweight version that I find brilliant on the river.

Kickstart

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, that will give me something to look into.

I do have a Poncho which does work well, but the main problem I have is with wet legs as I fish under a brolly and my legs always get soaked, but it will be nice to not have to worry to much if I can get a proper waterproofed jacket and trousers, so I can get out from under the brolly to cast etc without getting soaked to the skin in a few seconds in one of our famous summer downpours which get me every time I go fishing.

Thanks

Paul

aebitim

Reaction score
For me the solution is a pair of lightweight thigh waders and a decent hiking coat with a removeable inner.

neal webb

Reaction score
A thumbs up for the korum bib and brace.
Also headwear by sealskinz....amazing waterproof kit. I have the winter thermal cap, The beanie and the baseball cap...covers all situations and totally waterproof. The socks are also brilliant for winter fishing...waterproof socks who would have thought it !

nicepix

Reaction score
I also carry a poncho if I'm not expecting to be static and under a brolly or shelter. A light weight rip-stop nylon one for warmer weather and a heavier American Army rubberised fabric one for colder seasons. They keep me, the dog and the tackle bag dry. Also I have a pair of nylon waterproof over trousers for the bits the poncho doesn't cover.

I also carry a few tent pegs and some para' cord that can be used to rig up a small shelter or screen.

One of the secrets of keeping dry is to wear polyester garments wherever possible. Cotton absorbs and retains moisture. No good having waterproof trousers over jeans for example. Whereas polyester disperses the moisture better.

flightliner

Reaction score
I have two favourites, one being the british army goretex trews and overcoat which is great in a sudden downpour and big enough for winter also as it accommodates plenty of warm layers beneath. The other is a similar garment and is italian army issue in ripstop 100% material which I favour in most circumstances. Its not breathable but I care not as I dont mind what minimul condensation I find on my warmer inner layers when I,ve finnished wearing it, its so little as to make no differance over the duration of most of my trips bankside.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Poncho and a pair of light weight thin over trousers from the farm shop does it all for me in the summer.