Weil's disease question

Windy

Reaction score
Is it bacterial or viral in nature ?

I ask as I managed to burn one of my fingers rather badly last weekend (damp black pudding into too hot oil, spit-tastic :() and although it is healing it is still technically an open wound / break in the skin.

Hence the Weil's disease concern.

If it is bacterial then a nice coating of Germolene or similar antibacterial and I'm off fishing for the rest of today and tomorrow, having finally finished my list of domestic chores (thanks Nicky :cool:). If it is viral then there's no way I'm risking it...

Anyone in the medical know ?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not a clue about whether it's viral / whatever, just be careful.

In Wales in the early 1970s, the lady owner of the best hotel in a small, very rural, market town had a ne'er-do-well brother who haunted the hotel's bars, cadging drinks from visitors in the Saloon, chewing the fat with farmers and locals in the Public, before finally jumping into his car, well-oiled, late in the evening and driving the two or three miles down the valley to his home in a riverside village.

On one such night his car left the road, ran down a bank and was only stopped by a riverside tree. Merely dazed he crawled out of the wreck, lay on the bank for a short time, then headed for home a few hundred yards away by foot. There he slept the night off.

Two days later he developed "flu-like" symptoms. Ten days later he was dead.

Weils.

Windy

Reaction score
Answertastic, thanks to you both.

Will definitely take care, but can't resist it today, sun shining and I know just where the big Koi will be basking this afternoon.... :)

(Springbok, Merchant Seaman's Memorial Mission lake, if you're in Surrey and not heard of it or visited then you're missing something ;) )

http://www.mswmsociety.org.uk/Fishing

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

In passing, for those local to Guildford, I note from recent local reports of the illness that Lymes disease infected ticks have now spread this far north. So no walking through long grass in shorts for me this summer or at all.

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Weil's is nasty but if you are fit and healthy it is also survivable.
I contracted it in 1988 and after 6 months of on/off illness cumulating in me collapsing at work, which happened to be a hospital, I was admitted and after a series of blood tests finally diagnosed.
A course of IV antibiotics and a couple of weeks rest had me back on my feet. If it happened today I'm sure it would be a different story though.
It turned out I had contracted it through a cut knee after falling during a raft race on the river Teme.

john step

Reaction score
In the Spring of this year a farmer/fishery owner I know contracted Weils via a cut hand. He was hospitalized and was at deaths door..his family having been called to his bedside.
By some miracle he survived.
Apparantly some people it affects only slightly anothers it kills.
IT IS NOT WORTH TAKING RISKS WITH CUTS AND AND EVEN EATING SANDWICHES AT WATER SIDE ACTIVITIES.
You can buy specific hand spray for weils which will not taint your hands from Boots or on line called DOCTOR WEILS.

terry m

Reaction score
Leptospirosis is a very serious issue. In my line of work it is a major consideration for people that enter confined spaces where rats are found, as per other advice here, do not take any chances.

I knew a guy that contracted it whilst water skiing on The Broads, he nearly lost his life as a result, but although he survived he has been dogged with both liver and kidney problems as a serious side effect.

It is generally accepted that the seriousness of the illness will depend on how early it is diagnosed and treated. The symptoms are typically flu like symptoms, if you think you have been exposed to the agent, then tell your GP, they will take it very seriously. Keep cut lesions grazes etc covered up, and practice good personal hygiene when eating close to water that may be affected.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Will definitely take care, but can't resist it today, sun shining and I know just where the big Koi will be basking this afternoon.... :)

Cruiser.jpg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Worth tucking your trousers into your socks when walking about in the grass. Stops the ticks from getting on your skin for Lyme disease.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Let’s not forget that it’s not only rats, you can catch leptospirosis by touching soil or water contaminated with the urine of a number of animals, particularly rats, infected with the leptospira bacteria. It is very rare in this country, the last local case I heard of was many years ago when a drunk fell into the GU by a bridge with a heavy concentrate of rat urine and swallowed a lot of water. I would assume that the water was very still at this time of night with no lock activity to move the water.
Jerry

Windy

Reaction score
Thanks for the thought, but as it's a burn it needs to be kept dry and open to the air, and I'm afraid that the old prostate inspectors make my hands sweat terribly badly.

Quick heads up for the bargain conscious, Boots antiseptic antibacterial cream is presently reduced from £1.39 a tube down to a mere 39p. Yep, a whole quid off and mere pennies.. bought three while the opportunity was available !

rubio

Reaction score
I have second skin spray in my first aid kit. It might not allow the 'breathing ' you want for your cut but washes off easily enough. Stings a bit too.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In the Spring of this year a farmer/fishery owner I know contracted Weils via a cut hand. He was hospitalized and was at deaths door..his family having been called to his bedside.
By some miracle he survived.
Apparantly some people it affects only slightly anothers it kills.
IT IS NOT WORTH TAKING RISKS WITH CUTS AND AND EVEN EATING SANDWICHES AT WATER SIDE ACTIVITIES.
You can buy specific hand spray for weils which will not taint your hands from Boots or on line called DOCTOR WEILS.

I think I know the same farmer..Lincolnshire lad?

paugar08

Reaction score
can someone pls tell me how to write a post/question on here pls. im a virgin on here!!! thanks

Windy

Reaction score
(Springbok, Merchant Seaman's Memorial Mission lake, if you're in Surrey and not heard of it or visited then you're missing something ;) )

Yesterday, bank holiday weekend, you would believe how many people were clustered round Springbok lake.

Me

Just me.... :D

Back for second helpings later when the sun goes down a little. Bank Holiday Monday, so probably be rammed.... with another person maybe, or possibly even two :wh

Off to fish my other local secret lake this afternoon. Never even seen another angler fishing it in what is now more than ten years frequenting its banks in close season. Bit of a challenge, as genuinely wild water in the middle of an ancient oak forest, overgrown and not manicured. Nothing enormous (that I've caught anyway) but all genuine wild fish, including wildy carp up to 6 / 8 lbs. Love it.

Anyone else got a secret special venue or two ?

Mind you, the one local water I'd love to fish isn't available. The story goes that the old lady who owns the house and estate hated her Father and Brother's hunting shooting 'n fishing. When she inherited all fishing access stopped and no-one has fished it in more than 60 years. Big lake, used to have huge matches on it. Big carp in there. Legend has it (I suspect invention) that dear old **** Walker himself is reputed to have said that it contained the biggest carp uncaught.

The old lady is now in her 80's and no-one lives forever, so fingers crossed that whoever inherits from her isn't of the same mind...

sam vimes

Reaction score
Anyone else got a secret special venue or two ?

Yes, thanks. I was down there for the night on Saturday. 30 Acres of water and one mile of bank accommodated two anglers. Early Sunday we were joined by a third. I left at around three after sneaking a fish out of the margins as I fished off the barrow as I made my way back. By that point I was the only one there.:)