Mossie bites remedies

Shine

Reaction score
Got bittena fewtimes yesterday by mossies. I normally use Dr Johnsons mosquito & insectect repellent andmost of the time it works for me. However, this was a new lake I was fishing and I think the mossies are rock hard there and dont care about repellents...

Anyway, is there anything I can use that will stop the itching thats driving me mad?

Cheers.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
You have my sympathy mate, I have suffered agony's over the years. After getting home looking like the elephant man. Ended up visiting the doctor, the advice I was given was ''use any of the propriety creams, but also swallow a few pills''. Piriton'' works for me mate [available at most chemists], dosn't stop the bites, but does stop that awful reaction. All a bit belt and braces but anything to stop that infernal itching and burning. Good luck.

NIGE K

Reaction score
you could take my missus with you fishing shes a mozzie attractor.

captain carrott

Reaction score
nah you're going about this the wrong way. just take some one with you who the mozzies prefer to bite, then leave them to get eaten while you fish.

F

Fred Bonney

I use Avon, Skin so soft too...it works for me,whenI remember to splash it all over

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
My wife used to get bitten to death whilst doing her gardening and taking a leaf from Keith Arthurs book I bought her a couple of bottles of the "woodland" Skin so soft and she has never been bothered since. I recently had to get her another couple but they don't do the woodland any longer, the others work just as well though.

Shine

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far.

Out of intrest, what months do these little buggerscome and go and what time a day are they most active?

Windy

Reaction score
Eat Marmite.

Seriously.

It adds a few dozen extra chemicals to your sweat which insects just hate.

Don't believe me ? Go google.....

dean?o

Reaction score
try using witchdoctor, takes the itching out straight away, really is good stuff.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

That Marmite lark is quite true.

My late wife used to take a jar of Marmite or Vegemite with her whenever we went camping in the bush.

You can also try a real Witchdoctor! I am told that the sound of a didgeridoo also wards off mosquitos.

C

Cakey

Ive an electronic box that mimics a female mozzy .........................works too

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
That'll attract loads of males - but only the female bites!

(She needs a blood meal or her eggs can't mature. She has about ten days of adult life in which to get one. It's a matter of life and death, and she's a desperate mother!)

C

Cakey

might be the other way around then but it works ................................

Shine

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader><blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Whatmore wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Use Avon "Skin so soft" mate it works a treat and smells nice too /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Do I need to sing rugy songs while putting it on Graham so I feel my manly? ..... Dont tell anyone but I might have to try it/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

can also try a real Witchdoctor! I am told that the sound of a didgeridoo also wards off mosquitos.</blockquote>

Like the sound of that Ron. Not to many witchdoctors in Kent thought. My local practise has a doctor who is a witch <blockquote class=quoteheader>http://www.fishingmagic.com/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=4&UTN=34228&cp=1#620228</blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Cakey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Ive an electronic box that mimics a female mozzy .........................works too</blockquote>

Just bought a electronic box thing off of fleabay mr cakey. I had one last year and it seemed to work.... along with autan spray or Dr Johnsons mosquito & insectect repellent(also chain smoking while I'm fishing can help/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif<blockquote class=quoteheader>Windy wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Eat Marmite.

Seriously. </blockquote>

Cant stand the stuff Windy. Does chocolate spread work/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

---------------------------------------------

As the other question above I asked...

Out of intrest, does anyone knowwhat months do these little buggerscome and go and what time a day are they most active?<blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote>

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Personally I can't stand Marmite either but I don't mind Vegemite which is made in Oz and has a better taste in my opinion.

Reaction score
With you there Ron, like marmite but prefer the Vegi. Sis used to have it flown in..but I think there are suppliers in UK. If you live in London you get just about anything - except tranquility

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Vegemite is available at £2 a jar from my local Asda.

It appears that there are a few Oz and SA ex-pats in this part ofEngland.

Heck I sould hate to live in London!

Poor B*****ds

F

Fred Bonney

Shine on

When the temperatures warm up , it seems to be in the evening after the warm days that they are at theit worst.

If it windy they seem not to be about.

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that some food you eat repels mosquitoes. Garlic is one of them, marmite is another one, and the reason for that is that it contains vitamin b12, which apparently repels mosquitoes. But in actual fact there's no scientific proof to support that.