Expensive Vs Cheep reels

stillwater blue

Reaction score
As a bit of a follow on from bennygesserit thread about greys rod..

I bought a pair of shimmy exages around 3 years ago, I actually bought them as a stop gap. However, they performed brillantly so I didn't bother to upgrade. The 3k size reel, that I've used alot as it's my float real, is begining to grate a little ever now and again and I think it's time to replace it. I was thinking about a daiwa TD-R or a shimmy Rarenium Ci4 but...

Are expensive reels worth the extra price when compared to cheaper reels? What do you really get for the extra cash?
How much would you pay for a reel?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've used Shimano reels since the late 70's and have no reason to change. Among my armory I have a couple of 5000 Aero GTE's that go back to the 90's and a Stradic dating back around 2004 - all in perfect working order. Not sure how long the cheaper current (non-Japanese) models will last, have a couple of DL4000FA's that are about two years old and still do everything they should.
Jerry
And with those lovely double handles Skippy:D

sam vimes

Reaction score
Generally, you'd expect more bearings giving a smoother reel. A better drag, giving a smoother release of line. Improved quality materials for the working parts, hopefully increasing the working life of the reel. Different case materials, either making the reel stronger, lighter or even both.

Much depends on how much you actually use the things. Many of the half decent budget to mid range reels will last years of average use. They're also likely to be perfectly acceptable to most.

I don't recall paying much more than £140 for a reel although I have a few that have a much higher RRP and street price. I'm quite content that in each instance of spending over £100 that it was money well spent. I'm happy that they are significantly "better" than a £40-60 reel.

I'd love to buy a set of stupidly expensive big pit reels. However, I simply can't justify the expense and don't have the income to support such extravagance. I have little doubt that one of those stupidly expensive big pits will be a far nicer reel than the budget big put reels I use. However, the price is likely to be three or four times as much. The rules of diminishing returns means that I know that they won't be three or four times as good.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As a bit of a follow on from bennygesserit thread about greys rod..

I bought a pair of shimmy exages around 3 years ago, I actually bought them as a stop gap. However, they performed brillantly so I didn't bother to upgrade. The 3k size reel, that I've used alot as it's my float real, is begining to grate a little ever now and again and I think it's time to replace it. I was thinking about a daiwa TD-R or a shimmy Rarenium Ci4 but...

Are expensive reels worth the extra price when compared to cheaper reels? What do you really get for the extra cash?
How much would you pay for a reel?

Check it just doesn't need a good clean and lube. Grating is often a sign of grit or similar cr@p somewhere in the works.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
And with those lovely double handles Skippy:D

Dont start Jerry ! Double handles be damned I say. Burn them.

Define expensive. I've never paid more than £60 for a fixed spool reel [mostly a lot less] and I certainly dont think I'd get double the reel for double the money. I'm talking here of general allrounders not anything like a big pit. The top of the range Daiwa's are incredibly smooth but I'd never pay that sort of money...nor would I entertain anything sub [say] £25 because it just aint gonna have the build quality or cope with sustained use.

Nothing wrong with Exages.....just dont drop them. I did and the reel stem shattered.

Last edited:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Define expensive. I've never paid more than £60 for a fixed spool reel [mostly a lot less] and I certainly dont think I'd get double the reel for double the money.

I suppose anything over £100 for a front drag 3K or 4K size reel.

Nothing wrong with Exages.....just dont drop them. I did and the reel stem shattered.

That's the issue. Whilst I like the idea of a lightweight rarenium or fact the TD-R is highly praised and widely used, it's hard to fault the exage. Mine have been well looked after but have been very well used, if they are dying £60 for three years seems good value. I do wonder if the extra money will be well spent on a more expensive reel

S-Kippy

Reaction score
If its going to get a lot of hammer then possibly....but I still think there are very good reels to be had for £50-60.

The TD-R is highly rated but I wouldn't have a BLUE reel in my house let alone my bag no matter how good it might be. I think I might give them old Exages a bit of TLC first.I'd expect more than 3 years out of one.

uintahflyshop

Reaction score
I'd say generally expensive equates to better but there are exceptions. I have three Shakespeare Mach 3 reels and they're superb. Other than these I have top end Shimano's and centrepins, some over 20 years old now and still going strong.

I think sometimes the manufacturers of these expensive reels are able to overprice medium or low quality items knowing people will buy on reputation. That's why I went for the Shakespeare reels for my occasional trips on still-waters, instead of mid-range Shinmano's or Daiwa's, as I'd heard bad things about these offerings.

Dave

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd love to buy a set of stupidly expensive big pit reels. However, I simply can't justify the expense and don't have the income to support such extravagance. I have little doubt that one of those stupidly expensive big pits will be a far nicer reel than the budget big put reels I use. However, the price is likely to be three or four times as much. The rules of diminishing returns means that I know that they won't be three or four times as good.

A couple of years ago I decided to upgrade from my old Shimanos to Big Pit reels and did a lot of research as well as asking anglers who's opinions I trust for their view.

I ended up lashing out on the Diawa Infinity 5500 BR's and while terribly expensive they are truly excellent reels, with great line lay and a superb drag system.

Are they 3 to 4 times as good as reels around £90? Probably, no, not really, but they are a joy to use . . . . . . . and in the final analysis that is what counts for me

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I'd say generally expensive equates to better but there are exceptions. I have three Shakespeare Mach 3 reels and they're superb. /QUOTE]

They are very good reels and exceptional value...as is a lot of Shaky stuff.

As I have often said I prefer Daiwa over Shimano but I freely admit there is an element of the protest vote about that as I simply will not worship at the shrine of Shimano. They are good reels...but they are not life changing which is the way some people seem to speak about them. Bit of brand snobbery & fashion police going on there methinks.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'd say generally expensive equates to better but there are exceptions. I have three Shakespeare Mach 3 reels and they're superb. Other than these I have top end Shimano's and centrepins, some over 20 years old now and still going strong.

I think sometimes the manufacturers of these expensive reels are able to overprice medium or low quality items knowing people will buy on reputation. That's why I went for the Shakespeare reels for my occasional trips on still-waters, instead of mid-range Shinmano's or Daiwa's, as I'd heard bad things about these offerings.

Dave

Yes another vote for the Shaky mach 3 reel
But my other reels are Shimano Stradics - around £100 each - not the top of the range shimano but good reels

I've bought the cheaper end stuff and it's not lasted

mick b

Reaction score
I have a few high end fixed spool reels.

A Daiwa Saltiga 4500 cost just under £500
Brought to give me over 10kgs of ultra smooth drag on a daily basis (I was jigging offshore reefs at the time).
This reel is now over 10 years old, has caught tonnes (yes really) of fish and apart from regular washing and oiling the line roller after use, it still looks and operates as good as the day it came out of the box.
Dislikes; no spare spool, a spare costs £150+
Conclusion; worth every penny, a load and forget reel, heavy compared to the lower priced models, superb line lay, totally bombproof with zero corrosion.

Daiwa Saltiga 6500 Expedition cost over £800 (imported)
Same as above but gives 22kgs of drag.
Dislikes; the high gloss blue colour is not easy on the eye and attracts unwanted attention, no spare spool, a spare costs £160+.
Conclusion; same as 4500.

I also have two Daiwa Caldia 4000X and one 3500X mid range reels, Japan made.
Both have been highly upgraded with all the bushing replaced with bearings, the joints sealed with wax, and the drags modified.
Dislikes; none (except the need to upgrade). Extra spool cost £100 from Japan.
Conclusion; very good spinning and ledgering reels, each come with one spare spool.

My first fixed sppol reel was an Omnia in 1965, since which I have used Mitchell, Shakespeare, Penn, Shimano and been a field tester for Quantum (Cabo) and Accurate so I do have extensive experience plus an engineering background.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for with all reels.
My advice would be always spend plenty of time doing a world-wide internet search cross-referencing the specifications of different models (many are rebadged repeats) and the country of manufacturer.
Beware of reels made from components made in China or Korea but assembled elsewhere as this usually results in failures at a later date.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a Shimano Sahara GTE (double-handles Skippy) and have just ordered a Shakey Sigma Front Drag 3000 as a backup reel. Two spools, double handles (luvverly) - £25.95 post free. Just for you Skippy, they supply the Sigma with a double AND a single handle for the older, more easily confused angler! :D

Looking at some of the reviews for the Shakey Sigma and Omnia ranges they really have got it right and you can kit out a kid for less than 50 quid.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I decided to upgrade from my old Shimanos to Big Pit reels and did a lot of research as well as asking anglers who's opinions I trust for their view.

I ended up lashing out on the Diawa Infinity 5500 BR's and while terribly expensive they are truly excellent reels, with great line lay and a superb drag system.

Are they 3 to 4 times as good as reels around £90? Probably, no, not really, but they are a joy to use . . . . . . . and in the final analysis that is what counts for me

I've used and seen enough of the better big pits to know this is the case. Once I've got myself a job, I'll be all over it like a bad rash.;):D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have TD-R and Exage reels!
The Daiwa TD-R is a superb reel with a drag to die for ( I bought 3 I like them that much!) but the Exage is an OK reel too! It all depends what you want to spend. I have built up a good selection of reels including Japanese shimano and Daiwa front drag reels but also own a few of the cheaper models and I love and use them all.

Keep away from Shakespeare and Browning though, total cr&p and a waste of money!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Mark

I've got the Shakespeare mach 3 reel 3000 FD - I've had it about 18 months now and I'm very pleased with it - ok it's not up to the Stradics but for £50 you get a lot of reel for your money

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark

I've got the Shakespeare mach 3 reel 3000 FD - I've had it about 18 months now and I'm very pleased with it - ok it's not up to the Stradics but for £50 you get a lot of reel for your money

Paul,

Sorry for being blunt mate, but I bought a Shakespeare reel some years ago and it vertually fell to bits within months....And the Browning, Jesus Christ!!! :(

Sorry if I offended :)

uintahflyshop

Reaction score
My Shakespeare reels are still going strong (along with two of their rods, one of which is 15 years old and is probably the best item of tackle I've ever bought). I can understand why a bad experience with a certain make can make you always see that manufacturers gear in a bad light though. I feel the same way about Okuma after an Epix Pro let me down badly....

Dave

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I honestly don't know what people do to their reels, I really don't.

I used to buy Daiwa only and spend as much as I could afford but now I have several Okumas and Shaky reels that are, well, very good reels.

I've got 2 Okuma Toledos that are probably about 10-12 years old now and although they're a bit scruffy looking cosmetically, they work absolutely fine. I just look after them is all. I don't take them apart and clean them every 2 weeks either. I rinse in clean water, a wipe with a cloth and a lube every now and again and that's it.

I'm also using Shaky Mach 1s and they've been great wee reels. An absolute joy to use.

I'd only spend money on multipliers these days, since they have a specific job to do and anything less than a good one will show itself up in no time at all.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My Shakespeare reels are still going strong (along with two of their rods, one of which is 15 years old and is probably the best item of tackle I've ever bought). I can understand why a bad experience with a certain make can make you always see that manufacturers gear in a bad light though. I feel the same way about Okuma after an Epix Pro let me down badly....

Dave

I think the shaky rods are fine, but I just had a bad experience with their reels!
I used to think that Okuma fixed spool reels were good till I saw my mates literally fall apart!