Whip/Pole

Reaction score
Well having pondered for quite a while, and recieving some excellent advice on here I bought a 5metre whip. Took it on holiday to Norfolk mainly for the wife to use as I am not supposed to be fishing yet, she was doing quite well with it but needed a comfort break so I took over and was catching roach up to 1/2lb. Then a pike decided to take a roach of 2oz I was bringing in, well expecting the line to break I just held on but the pike stayed attached , only having a small net of 22 inches I asked the bloke fishing the next swim if he could net it for me, he obliged the pike was more out of the net than in wieghing about 18lb I had no landing mat with me but did have forceps luckily he was only liphooked and once the hook removed he was returned to a small sidecut to recover. I am well hooked on this sort of fishing now. I also bought whilst there a shakespeare mustang 6metre whip(takeapart) reduced from £35 to £17.50.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Have called pole angling in the past Badger ,but after trying it with the nipper,I now see the attraction of margin fishing with them any how.Might just get one myself in the near future.The lads pole was eight squid but he has landed fish to over two pound and it is unbreakable with the looks of it,which is definatly a good thing with me and him.Nice Pike by the way.

N

NomadPaul

I think Whips/poles are an excellent way to introduce newcomers , whether they be young or old , into the sport. With no reel to worry about , they can just concentrate on the fishing side of things and if they really enjoy it, can progress onto the harder disciplines of the sport at a later date.

Reaction score
Am not a newcomer to fishing came back to it a couple of years ago and poles and whips where totally alien to me, sorry did not have a landing mat as only going for small roach at the time. But will be using a whip a lot more now and saving for a pole. Picture of pike will be in gallery shortly I hope.

N

NomadPaul

Sorry Brian , it was just a general comment and not aimed at you specifically.

Old Wanderer

Reaction score
I bought a cheapie telescopic whip to fish margins whilst waiting for carp bites /forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

Get bored with carping, but my mate loves it, but I like catching allsorts and quite enjoyed the 'whip' fishing/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I was loaned a Maver pole some time ago about 12 mtr I think, but a)I can't afford to be spending big money on a poleand b) the lad whos pole it was broke it twice in quick succession and it was well over £100 a time to replace bits /forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gifso yes cash is an important consideration /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

I've been thinking of progressing to a take apart pole but not going the whole hog and spending a fortune, any recommendations please !

Seen the poles in the tackle section & even the cheapest there start @ £199

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Wanderer,have a look at some of the middy poles,you can pick one up for 35 pound at six metre with a spare top both elasticated,looks alright for starters .

Old Wanderer

Reaction score
Thanks Gav, just managedto get froma mate a cheap and cheerful 9.2 mtr pole sorted, looking forward to 'playing' with me new toynow.

At least if I break it I'm not going to worry much about the cost involved /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif