J W Young Specimen 13ft vs Wychwood Rogue Barbel 1.75lb - what would you have?

liversage

Reaction score
As the title suggests, am looking at moderately priced all-rounders for a crack at barbel this summer on the River Medway. These two seem quite popular - any thoughts or preferences for rods around the £50-60 mark? Anything else I should look at?

jimlad

Reaction score
Wychwood rogue all the way....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
As the title suggests, am looking at moderately priced all-rounders for a crack at barbel this summer on the River Medway. These two seem quite popular - any thoughts or preferences for rods around the £50-60 mark? Anything else I should look at?

Have a look at some of the Shakespeare rods. The old Mach II rods were highly regarded, and they've been replaced by the Agility range - slap bank in the middle of your price band. The Wychwood rods are also well worth a waggle.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I always prefer 11ft barbel rods to 12ft ones and very definitely in preference to 13ft.

liversage

Reaction score
What about the JW Young Travel Barbel? Quite a few people seem to like that as a decent, portable river rod. Any owners care to comment?

nicepix

Reaction score
What about the JW Young Travel Barbel? Quite a few people seem to like that as a decent, portable river rod. Any owners care to comment?

It is a proper 'Avon type' rod in that it has a more through action than a lot of modern rods. As such it feels softer than most, but the rod can be used to lean into fish without fear of it breaking. It also feels heavier than conventional two piece rods of the same test curves. The rod comes with two tops, an Avon top and a 3oz quiver top. You can't change the quiver tip as it is spliced in.

I haven't used the rod much as it was bought specifically for taking on camping trips, only three or four times, but it is well made and performs OK. I wouldn't choose it over any of my conventional two piece rods but I'm perfectly happy to use it on holidays or when space is tight.

A

alan whittington

Neither...without a second thought either....but I cant imagine a Youngs rod winning any two horse race so the Wychwood.

Neither for me,but without a doubt in the world the Rogue is far superior,the Youngs rods feel like split cane did,you know? .....that unbalanced with weight at the tip feeling,unless your a lover of cane,then its superb:).

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Have a look at some of the Shakespeare rods. The old Mach II rods were highly regarded, and they've been replaced by the Agility range - slap bank in the middle of your price band. The Wychwood rods are also well worth a waggle.

The Shaky Mach II rods are/were brilliant for the money.Vastly underated.

Rich P

Reaction score
I won't buy Shakespeare and I try to avoid buying from Sportsdirect. However, you can't knock the price of this Mach 2 Specimen rod.

Good tip that....and I think there are also some Dunlop rods which look good for the money.

Have you had problems with Sportsdirect, or is your stance more about supporting local tackle shops?

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have you had problems with Sportsdirect, or is your stance more about supporting local tackle shops?

Never had a problem with Sportsdirect as such though I'd prefer to buy tackle from a proper tackle shop. The main issue is that I don't like to give the Sportsdirect owner my money. It's like funding your enemy.;):D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I won't buy Shakespeare and I try to avoid buying from Sportsdirect. However, you can't knock the price of this Mach 2 Specimen rod.

I have one of those very rods and it is very good indeed and exceptional value for that money.

I didn't get it off those footpads at SD though...and for the same reasons as you . I'll die in a ditch before I give that lot any money.

A

alan whittington

Forgive me but who are the people behind SD,pm with names(addresses's,no only joshing),im interested to know why,no doubt when im in the know i'll be the same as Sam and you s-kippy.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Forgive me but who are the people behind SD,pm with names(addresses's,no only joshing),im interested to know why,no doubt when im in the know i'll be the same as Sam and you s-kippy.

Mike Ashley, the owner of Newcastle United, owns Sports Direct. Although, with Newcastle's recent form, I can't imagine anyone taking exception, unless it's to do with him being a fat, obnoxious git! :wh

He re-branded St James Park the Ashley Sports Direct Arena but then recanted when he realised it abbreviated to ASDA! :D

I've bought loads of stuff from Sports Direct, cheap, branded stuff like polo shirts and Karrimor outdoor gear. Nowt wrong wi' a bargain! :thumbs:

richiekelly

Reaction score
Never had a problem with Sportsdirect as such though I'd prefer to buy tackle from a proper tackle shop. The main issue is that I don't like to give the Sportsdirect owner my money. It's like funding your enemy.;):D

I have a problem with spotsdirect and will never buy anything from them.

My grandson who at the time was 18 months old had a fit while his mum was in the shop with him, the staff refused to call for an ambulance, muppets.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a problem with spotsdirect and will never buy anything from them.

My grandson who at the time was 18 months old had a fit while his mum was in the shop with him, the staff refused to call for an ambulance, muppets.

That, I can sympathise with, nobody f***s with my grandson either!

Their policy on returns is cr@p, no refunds just credit notes. Fortunately I know their sizings and the 2 for £8 Slazenger polo shirts are just the job for slobbing round the garden or fishing in. Got a decent pair of Karrimor walking boots too for less than half normal price and we have the £2.99 Dunlop golf umbrellas in the boot of each car. So until they upset me personally or ethically I will continue to shop there.