John Wilson's Fishing World

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder, I can rarely be bothered to scroll that far down on my antiquated EPG! Beats the Anne Boleyn guff on BBC2.;)

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I used to enjoy watching his programs in his early days, but, recently i have found it mostly to center around Fly Fishing and Sea Fishing which is fine if that is what interests you, but i prefered it when he was roaming rivers and fishing mainly in Britain.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Watched the first one DM but found it hard going, --hope it gets better .

I quite enjoyed the first one. The location and those grass carp were both stunning. The curious kitty also amused me.

The second one left me cold though. Beautiful scenery but I don`t have any real interest in sea fishing.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Saw them all on Discovery a few years ago, some are better than others but not one of his best series IMO.
Jerry

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
John looked like a novice in the grass carp episode...not a great advert for fish care the way he struggled to hold on to them.

Just an honest opinion not what I expect from a fishing guru!

Kind regards
Ray

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Liked the Grayling one but then his inane cackle became too much on subsequent progs.

IMO not a patch on River Monsters and certainly nowhere near Rod n Ruck. I want a lot more from my fishing programmes these days than just seeing someone play fish after fish.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Liked the Grayling one but then his inane cackle became too much on subsequent progs.

IMO not a patch on River Monsters and certainly nowhere near Rod n Ruck. I want a lot more from my fishing programmes these days than just seeing someone play fish after fish.

Agreed! The background on the areas fished and trying to get into some of the customs in Rod and Rucksack may seem a bit tokenistic, but I liked it. Also JW can grate with the cackling just like Knobson Greene does with everything!

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
It just annoys me that these shows are repeated endlessly when the old classics-like his magnificent haul of double figure bream- are on at 5.30 in the morning.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
There is an old Matt Hayes series on at the moment this week he was around Hampton Loade and Bridgnorth , so he went across the ferry , down the fernicular railway etc. very little actual fishing but more the atmosphere , also he was bringing a fish in and a pike got hold of it , a fun and very gentle series , got it on rcord , not a guitar solo to be heard anywhere.

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

Just checked its clled Mainstream with Matt Hayes

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
I really enjoyed Mainstream. I guess it's hard to get an angling show commissioned if it doesn't contain the word extreme or adventure.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I really enjoyed Mainstream. I guess it's hard to get an angling show commissioned if it doesn't contain the word extreme or adventure.

Yes some of Matts stuff is underated , there was no race against the clock, though I enjoyed all those series , just the scenery and the fishing.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would love to catch up on old episodes of Out Of Town with Jack Hargreaves. Now they were fishing programmes! Far superior to watching Matt Hayes and Mick Brown catch a never-ending succession of carp to get from the west of Ireland to Lowestoft in a camper van.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yes, I enjoyed the Mainstream series as well, they're repeating the Ouse at present. It's a shame that funding ran out before they completed the series - the Thames was all but sorted before it all went pear shaped.
Jerry