Breeding your own maggots...

Windy

Reaction score
Since the local council decided to cut their services in half by collecting bins once every fortnight instead of weekly BUT without correspondingly cutting their Council tax demands in half you mean ?

Yep, I breed a goodly selection by the end of each summer fortnight.....

Or I would if it were not for my unfeasibly brilliant and effective solution.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Eddie,

Last season I did manage to breed some good sized gozzers for my Bream campaign. The problem with trying to breed any sort of quantity is that you have to kep it all well away from any neighbours.

Even at today's prices in the tackle shops and breeders they still represent good value as far as I am concerned.

I

Ian Cloke

I sometimes breed a few gozzers, from a pigs heart, just leave it out on a warm day, watch for a few fly's "blowing" on it, then place it in a tin, and bury the heart for about a week, check it if the gozzers are big enough riddle them off into some sawdust. They are the ultimate hookbait.

E

EC

Cheers lads, I know how to do gozzers in small quantities, I remember once a neighbour used to put fish down, and he would get upwards of a pint of bait, Inever did actually find out his method!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Have you tried looking in Baz's wellies Eddie, might be good for a couple of pints/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

There was a time when most of the top matchmen did their own gozzers, they all had their favourite methods, hearts, dead chickens, sour milk for the softest etc etc. I once watched Ken Giles on one ofthe Avon opens taking his "specials" out of a large tobacco tin with with much furtive looks round first in case anyone was watching but only for the hook you understand. "I breed gozzers the size of caterpillars" was the proud boast of some but the funny thing was they never ever showed them to you!

It is a smelly procedure and not for the faint hearted but the sour milk method was probably the least smelly of them and they were very soft and white. Is it worth it? Nah! not in my opinion anyway.