Need rod help!!???

calum1231

Reaction score
I have recently brought a curvy carp rod (shakesphere 12ft 2.5lb tc) and dont know whether or not the tc is too much for the fishing i wish to do.
i want to fish close in ( floating bread crust and float) and mid to long range (feeder / bag) the fish im aiming for are carp between 5lb and 20ish lb averaging around 8 - 12/15lb but i also want to fish for tench the tench average around 4lb - 7/8lb. so my question is is the tc too much to get sport and enjoyment of playing carp between 8 and 15lb and tench 3 - 8lb (and i'll be using 6lb line) thanks for the answers:)

C

chefster

I have recently brought a curvy carp rod (shakesphere 12ft 2.5lb tc) and dont know whether or not the tc is too much for the fishing i wish to do.
i want to fish close in ( floating bread crust and float) and mid to long range (feeder / bag) the fish im aiming for are carp between 5lb and 20ish lb averaging around 8 - 12/15lb but i also want to fish for tench the tench average around 4lb - 7/8lb. so my question is is the tc too much to get sport and enjoyment of playing carp between 8 and 15lb and tench 3 - 8lb (and i'll be using 6lb line) thanks for the answers:)
I,m no expert on carp fishing,as i match fish for carp,but to my mind a 2.5lb t/c rod is far to powerful for the type of fishing you want to do,personally i would use a heavy feeder rod,a power float rod or a 1 3/4 lb test curve rod max,also i would think the rod is not matched to a 6lb mono,cheers Gaz:D

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Why did you buy the Rod if you weren't sure ?

Anyway, you don't need a 2.5lb test curve rod for 6lb mainline, a 1.5lb test curve rod would easily surfice.

A 2.5lb test curve rod with 10lb or 12lb mainline will let you catch double figure carp and give you some sport. It's all about Balance.

What size reel are you going to be using?

C

chefster

Why did you buy the Rod if you weren't sure ?

Anyway, you don't need a 2.5lb test curve rod for 6lb mainline, a 1.5lb test curve rod would easily surfice.

A 2.5lb test curve rod with 10lb or 12lb mainline will let you catch double figure carp and give you some sport.
That wont be sport-it will be "Skulldragging":rolleyes:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You are well overgunning your intended species with that rod and using 6lb line is not creating a balanced outfit.

As has been mentioned a 1.5lb TC rod would do for the realistic average size of what you are hoping for and will provide some white-knuckle moments with bigger fish.

We are trying to get the best out of the fish for sport, otherwise why not drag them out on a broom-handle?

Terry D

Reaction score
Best to look at some barbel or avon style rods, preferably with a couple of different tops. Should give you more than a sporting chance for the carp you're after and not too overgunned for the tench.

john step

Reaction score
There are some good deals in the press at the moment for John Wilson Avon rods which would be ideal. Mallarkeys have the for just under 50 quid with free postage this week.
I have been using the stepped up one for barbel for about 5 years.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In keeping with the original query and the general feeling that the rod in question is too heavy, I was checking out Gumtree for bargains and noted the number of adverts for 3.5lb TC carp rods. Seems quite a few people buy stuff and then find they're overgunned.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've little doubt that the rod is too heavy for the line that the OP wishes to use.
However, as we've little idea as to what the action of the rod concerned is, it's impossible to say for certain that the rod is totally unsuitable for the fish of high single figure running to 20lb+ that the OP has mentioned.

I could have sworn that the whole "skulldragging" myth had been well and truly put to bed before. I'll try again though.

Rod Test Curves - Bivvy.TV - YouTube

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why did you buy a Carp rod ;)
Seriously, all you need for the kind of fishing you intend to do is a decent heavy feeder rod or better still a twin top barbel rod!
What you have is far to powerfull and unbalanced :)

elliottwaters

Reaction score
Why be over-gunned?

Modern carp rods are, rather like beachcasters built to accommodate heavy leads and lengthy casts rather than the size of the fish. Unless the waters you fish are particularly snaggy or weedy, an Avon style or barbel rod with a test curve of 1.5 our even 1.25 pounds matched with line of six to eight pounds will with cope with doubles with ease.

Keith M

Reaction score
As others have said sounds like you would be better off with a nice 1.5lb or 1.7lb Barbel rod which comes with both an Avon style tip section and a quiver tip section.

Also what about a multi-tip rod? I often use a Grey's Prodigy Multi tip Specimen rod which has two different Avon type tips; (1.5lb & 2lb tc) and is rated for lines between 3lb all the way up to 17lb max depending on which tip is used; it also has a lovely forgiving action for when you are playing a large fish right under the rodtip.
I catch some very decent sized Carp on mine up to well over 20lb.

Keith

Last edited: