Anyone else suspicious of this?

Blunderer

Reaction score
The website has now been set up where you can supposedly win a devon Property with a fishery for a £25 entry fee.

www.winadevonpropertywithfishing.co.uk

This makes me a little suspicious, to be honest. They need 46,000 entries by December 08. If they don't get them then the money they have made (minus their costs) is given to the winner.

Is this legal? There are no Terms and Conditions. What if they go into Administration? And what's to stop them claiming it cost £25,000 to set of that website and another £25,000 in staff costs to adminster the competition?

Is this a very clever way of them marketing their property for nothing? Or is it an easy way to raise some upfront cash?

Surely they will never get anything like 46,000 entries...

F

Frothey

there are t&c's on the site. its not that uncommon a way of selling a property.

i'd have a go - after all its only £25 if you dont win... dream home (or decent investment if you dont!) it was in the papers over the weeked, so i'd say theres every chance they will get the number of entries needed. even if they only get 30,000 entries, thats still 750k minus the 50k (if thats what they tried to charge) costs. better odds than the lottery.......

Blunderer

Reaction score
Just looked again, Frothy, and there are Ts and Cs. So far so good, but look at this beauty:

"The Promoters will be entitled to retain 35% of the Entry Fees to cover administration and marketing expenditure. The remaining balance following deduction of the 35% is “the Prize Fund”. The Prize Fund will then be distributed to the winning Entrant; "

So if they only get, say half the expected take up, 23,000 x 25 = £575,000, then they pocket a cool £210,250 to cover their "admin".

I would go so far as to say that they are on a winner whatever happens here.Best case scenario for them is that they get about 40,000 entries and make a nice little £400K out of it. Not bad for a little website and a press release.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
If the fish list is correct there are some cracking fish in there[*]Carp to 30lb [*]Tench to 7lb [*]Perch to 5lb [*]Roach to 4lb [*]Rudd to 3.5lb [*]Eels to 8.5lb

Not sure i can believe the roach and perch weights though.

Blunderer

Reaction score
With regards to the weights, I would subtract 35% to cover "Admin"

F

Frothey

dont enter then.

glass is always half empty with some people.....