Float fishing with braid.

walney1956

Reaction score
I have loaded one of my centre pins with Fireline Crystal 8lb BS with the intention of float fishing with it for chub and barbel this season.

I am seeking advice on the set up. Some people suggest 12 to 15 feet of mono uni knotted to the braid so that everything below water is mono and this does not cast a shadow as braid does. Others seem to recommend a small swivel with a hooklink of 18 inches to 2 feet. Hence some braid will be below the surface.The swims I am considering fishing will be between 4 and 8 feet.

What do you braid user suggest?

Windy

Reaction score
I have tried most of the new hi tech lines as they have come out and amongst them the Fireline Crystal.

Incredibly fine thickness to strength ratio, yes, but absolutely impossible to knot except to metal, ie. swivel or hook shank. You can't knot it to itself, make a loop or - in my experience - succesfully uni or other knot it to anything else, whether braid or mono or whatever. It simply cheesewires through the other line / itself / the knot. If not then the knot simply pulls out and unravels.

Fine if you're using the line as intended and designed, for lure fishing for bass in the good 'ol US of A, when you will always be knotting to metal / swivel, but not so user friendly for other disciplines.

I did use it for a while coarse fishing using a micro swivel at the end of the line and then attaching the hook link to that, or fishing straight through.

Won't be buying it again myself. Powerpro braid is plenty thin enough for me, easy to use with no knot or twist problems and less than half the price (unless the price of Crystal has fallen since I bought some of the first into the country and paid through the nose for the privilege).

I guess it might have some advantage for someone fishing heavy water / very fast currents, given the thinness of its diameter, so less resistance / drag ?

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I can't really see any advantage in your set up Walney? If I'm mistaken then maybe you or someone else could explain?

mick b

Reaction score
I can't really see any advantage in your set up Walney? If I'm mistaken then maybe you or someone else could explain?

I agree.

Your just building up problems for yourself IMO.

Windy,
You are so very wrong.

The Justice knot will join PE braid/Spectra/Dyneema to mono or fluoro with a 100% none-slip knot. This knot will also stand repeated, long term use with multiple catches.

The 40+ turn Bimini Twist will provide a 100% loop which can be used to join braid to braid via a catspaw loop2loop join.

Yes, both knots are a little complicated to learn in the initial stages, but nothing an competent angler cannot master.

Note to all braid users, do not use super glue, it weakens the fibres as it cures. Correctly tied knots do not slip!

Last edited:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When knotting braid to mono I have never had any trouble with the good old Grinner Knot. Perhaps take 5 turns through each loop rather than 4, before pulling tight.

Windy

Reaction score
Windy,
You are so very wrong.

Wouldn't be the first time... however my post was and is based on my actual testing and experience of tying knots in these lines, particularly fine 4lb / 5lb superbraids. I suspect that the very fine-ness of these lighter lines makes the cutting through effect more acute than in thicker strengths.

Neither am I alone in my conclusions, Have a shufti at Sportfishing Magazine's plethora of articles about braid / superbraid to mono etc knots with proper testing on IGFA certified equipment. Searching "knot test" will give you 145 articles to play with :eek:

IMHO the best article relevant to the issue is Cookie support required | Sport Fishing although again it is based on testing 20 and 50lb tests. Interesting conclusions.

The bimini gets a good result, but interestingly better with fewer (12) rather than more turns. The Yucatan / Bristol / No name knot also comes out well with these strength braids. I couldn't get either to work in thinner braids, but I'll have another try with them after reading the article.

However nothing I have tried in thinner strength works as well as knotting direct to metal. Life is too short to try tying the bimini twist at the waterside when using a micro swivel is simple and does the job, end of.