Perch Fishing

N

Neil Wayte

Quiet some time ago I asked for info about Perch live bait rigs.Well last Thursday i managed a days Perching.I landed 10 fish up to 1lb 10oz.Not monsters but I thoroughly enjoyed myself.So thanks to those of you who helped.
One more quick question.I was lip hooking the baits and missed as many takes as I hit.Would hooking through the tail or dorsal improve the hook up ratio.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Neil,
Well done, sounds like you had a good session. I would have thought lip hooking would be the best method as predators tend to take the bait head first, even when they hit them from the side they turn them around. I think it's to do with the easiest way to swallow the prey (gills and spines folding flat on the way down). I would say that missing bites is the compromise an efficent angler has to accept for fish safety, perch are notorious for deep hooking and it is better to miss a few than deep hook them (IMO), I'm sure that Steve Burke will be able to give some advice which will help but I think if you are landing 10 in a day then there's not much wrong.

S

Stuart Johnson

Neil, nice bag bag of perch. Were you using lives?. If you were, it is possible you were getting takes from smaller fish. I agree with Rod that delaying the strike will result in deeped hooked fish. You can not be doing much wrong with that catch though.

G

Gerry Castles

Theres is a very interesting article in Pike and Predator magazine this month about perch fishing, a really good read.

N

Neil Wayte

Yes I was using Lives and was hitting the takes as soon as the float disappeared or as it moved off across the surface.Some of the Perch were quite small around 10oz and only one was hooked fairly deep.It was the only one I needed to use foreceps on.
Brilliant fun and as son as I get a free afternoon(or I can manufacture a free one) I will go back for another go.
Thanks again.

C

Chris Bishop

I reckon perch are a bit like zander, in that they sometimes chase a bait and hit it from behind to nobble its propulsion before they nail it.

You get round a lot of missed takes with zander by hooking the bait through the top lip/one in flank towards tail.

I doubt two hook rigs would be considered ok for perch, so I daresay you'd have to experiment with hook placement.

G

Gary Knowles

Neil,

I've found that using the 'worm stops' from 'enterprise' tackle has helped increase the ratio of runs hit. You simply push the soft bead over the bend of the hook after lip-hooking the bait. This keeps all the point and most of the bend of the hook exposed and stops the point 'flattening' on the side of the livie when a perch strikes.

Cheers

Gary