Introduction - hello from the fens!

shortpaul

Reaction score
What the title says. I used to be a pretty keen carp and bagging angler, and won a couple of matches, then I got a super cheap spinning rod. I chucked a tiny, silver holo spinner out down my local river (the ouse in Earith) and catch a perch. Then another, and another, and another... Now I don't know why I ever sat behind bite alarms!

I will still do some trotting when I'm in the mood, and I wouldn't mind trying for some barbel when it's flooded (I think there are a few in there) but I have never caught a pike or a zander. So I'm a lure convert (besides, it's free and you only need a couple of hours in the morning or evening).

Now I use a RT Tyran Telespin 5-20g with a Daiwa Laguna front drag reel loaded with 30lb powerpro and a 30lb trace. Seems a bit heavy for the lighter side of lures, but I wanna be able to chuck out 20+ lures (the rod should be fine up to 25-30g I reckon) for pike on occasion so it should be a balanced compromise. With a bit of luck, I'll be getting some catch reports up when the season is open :D

I'm hoping the river doesn't weed up so much this year. The last few years, I've not fished the sluice gate or the drains because of the weed, and I saw a few dead fish, too.

Anyway, hello all! If anyone knows this area, feel free to give me some tips :D I'm hoping to catch on a weedless frog lure or arbogast jitterbug, but I've got a few rubbers and diving plugs, too, as well as one or two ultralites for perch. Should be fun!

shortpaul

Reaction score
Cheers guys! I love lure fishing, and the best bit is it requires so little prep. No buying bait or anything like that, just a rod, reel, net and a backpack with lures. Sorted!

I just wish lures were better at catching fish than they are at catching anglers. I swear I want to buy all of them!

shortpaul

Reaction score
Cheers fellas! So excited for the season to open. Lure fishing a plenty!

I have, however, had to sell one of my guitars to fund rod, braid and lures. Oh, and car MOT and service. Gah! I'd better catch something with the first 10 sessions or I'll cry :p