Daiwa rod -- info please.

flightliner

Reaction score
I,ve just aquired a Daiwa connoisseur thirteen foot spliced tip stick float rod. (the one with the carbon weave)Its almost mint and I believe they were produced around the late nineties early noughties.
Has anyone on here had one or knew of someone that had and what were their impressions.
Thanks.:)

C

chefster

I,ve just aquired a Daiwa connoisseur thirteen foot spliced tip stick float rod. (the one with the carbon weave)Its almost mint and I believe they were produced around the late nineties early noughties.
Has anyone on here had one or knew of someone that had and what were their impressions.
Thanks.:)

What does it matter what other people think- if you,ve already got it,just use it and see how it suits you:eek:

flightliner

Reaction score
Chefster, if you saw some of my gear you,d know that I dont care along those lines:) -- another guy on here will vouch for that;), no, I was/am hoping that anyone who may have had one will maybe have info such as what breaking strain hooklinks its safe to go down to as there are no reccomended sizes shown on the rod, it wont take much trial and error to find out but forwarned is forarmed as they say. Other info such as types of striking they prefferred (hard/soft) as the rod being a "stick" is a bit stiffer than other rods of this type that I have used and owned past and presant. Daiwa always used the strongest of carbons on their rods which was maybe a good thing but I dont want to go bouncing fish off on the strike:eek:-- other things in a similar vein would be nice to here about.
Last thing-- what sort of price did they retail at all those years ago?

C

chefster

I was,nt suggesting anything mate,but what might suit some might not suit others-for instance how would you feel if someone came on and said they,re rubbish-it might influence you,re view of what is a good rod,if its a stick float rod,it should have a spliced tip ,you should be able to use very fine hooklengths without fear of breaking off ,also it should have a fast striking action....Cheers mate Gaz:)

johnnyfby

Reaction score
I used to have the Amorphous stick float which was a smashing rod and ultra fast on the strike, if its anything like that one then go easy on the strike, with just a flick to set the hook. Which any good stick float rod worth its salt should do. Get out there on a still water and do some on the drop roach fishing and you should get to know the rod by the day is out and if it suits your style....

barbelboi

Reaction score
I was,nt suggesting anything mate,but what might suit some might not suit others-for instance how would you feel if someone came on and said they,re rubbish-it might influence you,re view of what is a good rod,if its a stick float rod,it should have a spliced tip ,you should be able to use very fine hooklengths without fear of breaking off ,also it should have a fast striking action....Cheers mate Gaz:)

Not completely true chef, spliced tips were only 100% used for stick float rods until the technology developed for low diameter one piece carbon tips - The Normark 2000 series (c1999) were probably one of the first to develop this.
Jerry

C

chefster

Not completely true chef, spliced tips were only 100% used for stick float rods until the technology developed for low diameter one piece carbon tips - The Normark 2000 series (c1999) were probably one of the first to develop this.
Jerry
Jerry what i know about stick float rods ,you could fit on the back of a stamp,i just remember my old amorphous whisker having a spliced tip,cheers Gaz

flightliner

Reaction score
The thing is, I have three stic rods already, two have spliced tips and one hasnt,it being a more modern rod.
All three are differant in both length and action and my choice tends to favour the spliced rods, the other being somewhat lazy by comparison.
I came across the rod in a "mug to turn it down situation", the only thing I dislike about it really is its got the horrible flared cork butt with flat spots either side and another flat spot for the forefinger:eek:. This is no problem as I can soon spin it out to suit me just as I did on a pair of Daiwa pms112s some years ago along with having them lengthened by some three inces.
That aside I,m really looking forward to using it on the Trent in the summer (if it ever comes) with 'emp n tares:) .

ravey

Reaction score
It sounds like it might be the Connoisseur X if you say it dates from late 1990s to early 2000s, Flightliner. Does it have Daiwa's sliding winch fitting?

The Connoisseur X has the carbon weave of the Amorphous Whisker range which preceded it, and it seems to be the same blank. The product code is CNX13S. If this is the rod in question, then the line ranges are 12oz/3lb in 'Daiwaspeak'; 12oz being the lightest hooklength (in old money, mind - 0.08), and 3lb being the strongest recommended mainline.

There was also a Connoisseur Z which was the next up in the range (topped by the Tournament X, I believe), but it does not have the visible carbon weave you mention.

I have used spliced-tip rods in the past (Shimano XMS42 and Tri Cast Diamond Kevlar), but much prefer the balance and more progressive action of a hollow waggler type rod. I have settled on the Daiwa Amorphous Whisker (AWM13W) and a Normark Microlight 2000. This is just a personal preference, as is the choice of length (13').

Here's looking forward to some 'sensible' levels on the Trent this coming season...

flightliner

Reaction score
It sounds like it might be the Connoisseur X if you say it dates from late 1990s to early 2000s, Flightliner. Does it have Daiwa's sliding winch fitting?

The Connoisseur X has the carbon weave of the Amorphous Whisker range which preceded it, and it seems to be the same blank. The product code is CNX13S. If this is the rod in question, then the line ranges are 12oz/3lb in 'Daiwaspeak'; 12oz being the lightest hooklength (in old money, mind - 0.08), and 3lb being the strongest recommended mainline.

There was also a Connoisseur Z which was the next up in the range (topped by the Tournament X, I believe), but it does not have the visible carbon weave you mention.

I have used spliced-tip rods in the past (Shimano XMS42 and Tri Cast Diamond Kevlar), but much prefer the balance and more progressive action of a hollow waggler type rod. I have settled on the Daiwa Amorphous Whisker (AWM13W) and a Normark Microlight 2000. This is just a personal preference, as is the choice of length (13').

Here's looking forward to some 'sensible' levels on the Trent this coming season...
Share this post on Twitter
Share on Facebook

Ravey, thats just the sort of stuff I was searching for. Thanks. I will look at what data is on the rod again and match it against your info.
As an aside to this-- I showed the rod to my long standing nieghbour who said he would look it up for me. Well, this morning he's off fishing but calls me over and says that the rod was advertised in some old match angling mags by Leslies of luton for £238.
I couldnt believe it but he says its true!.:eek:
Ravey, if you still enjoy sticin it try the tidal reaches with emp n tare in the summertime on a big tide---superb, just try as low as you can tho then you're less likely to be "Bombed out" by some inconsiderate barbel angler lobbing loadsa lead under your feet who tend to inhabit the higher reaches.:rolleyes:

Ravey, checked the rods code-- its CNXM130S--- the connoisseur X Amorphous whisker spliced tip., yes it has the sliding winch screw down reel fitting Looks like I have something that could be collectable/desirable. Still, no good on the shelf like all those centrepins.;)

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi flight,

I have two of these and have, and still do, use them down to 12 ounce hook lengths.

A couple of years back I landed a close to 10 pound Carp on it at Clattercote, so believe me if I say I think it is one of the best spliced tip rods ever made.

ravey

Reaction score
No worries, Flightliner. I was trying to recall the code for the rod from memory, and missed out a couple of digits.

I can't rememer the price for this rod, as I had a break from fishing for a few years to study from late 1997. However, the RRP for my model AWM13W was £175, but you could get the usual 20% discount off this.

Thanks for the heads-up on the tidal, but it is a little too distant for me to put a lot of effort into, and my usual stamping ground is the middle non tidal Trent around Nottingham and downstream. I've just finished making a set of stick floats I am looking to press into service, but will probably target the barbel first as it usually tales a few weeks for the roach fishing to really get going.

flightliner

Reaction score
Ravey,I understand, I usually get going with the stic myself from around mid july or thereabouts, thoroughly absorbing method, love it to bits, cant wait.
Nothing quite like the thump thump thump of a nice roach in running water on light tackle when the feeding has been thought thro and they're coming right under your rod top.