First time out with my Mitchell 300A reel

B

berniewood

Oh wow this reliving my youth back to the old rod and line is so lovely, and how much have I missed using a Mitchell reel (mine being a 300A), I absolutely love it, i bought it of an auction site not long ago with the intention the relive my youth, and im loving it. I can't wait to buy another one but not sure which one to get, I don't like the Mitchell match as I always had problems with the bail arm sticking because of the mechanism it had with the automatic part. But to be honest money is no objections, if anyone has any recommendations.

elliottwaters

Reaction score
Good workhorse reels the Mitchell 300’s. Mine are nearly 40 years old and still going strong.

nicepix

Reaction score
Oh wow this reliving my youth back to the old rod and line is so lovely, and how much have I missed using a Mitchell reel (mine being a 300A), I absolutely love it, i bought it of an auction site not long ago with the intention the relive my youth, and im loving it. I can't wait to buy another one but not sure which one to get, I don't like the Mitchell match as I always had problems with the bail arm sticking because of the mechanism it had with the automatic part. But to be honest money is no objections, if anyone has any recommendations.

Glad you are enjoying the Mitchell. Some of us on here still use the old faithfuls.

If you want a different Mitchell and don't fancy the Match, then really you are down to two options as far as I'm concerned. The smaller 308 or the 410 that is from memory similar to the Match but without the auto bail.

A friend of mine has a mint, boxed 208 that he has hardly used from new and hasn't seen a rod for over thirty years. One day I'll have it off him :D

paulvjwhite

Reaction score
the 300pro circa 1990's i have one 45th anniversary edition, suede bag certificate signed by assembler counter signed by foreman in the factory.never seen water.original box as well.

barbelboi

Reaction score
In all honesty, apart from sentimental memories, I used 300's throughout the 50's and the 60's (great reels in their day) - the Abu 55's took over as the 'big fish' reel in the 70's, then Shimano came along and kicked them into touch (even before they used double handles;)) and the Mitchells have been hibernating in the loft for many a year ever since:wh.
Jerry

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think even the £25 Shakespeare Sigma I bought last week would kick a Mitchell 300's butt now. HOWEVER they were a great reel in their day, just like my faithful old Ambidex on my 12ft, yellow, hollow fibreglass rod with the built-in ferrules. Would I go back to fishing with them now? Not on your nelly!

Anyone remember the mini pipe-cleaner that was around the base of the spool on old reels to stop the line going behind the spool? Never worked!

Old tackle belongs in the rose-tinted vault of memory IMO.

flightliner

Reaction score
Ok, match head on. River Trent, anyday of your choosing, bring any reel you like ,I,ll bring my Mitchell match.
Stick floats at dawn.:cool::cool::)

barbelboi

Reaction score
You reckon the gears will handle the weight of a stick in that flow without grinding to dust then flight?;)
Jerry

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thing is Jerry, he's probably been using that same reel for over thirty years :w :D

Haha......... it must be running on memory, I remember doing the football pools for longer than that with very little return;)
PS As per my earlier posts I used, and still have, the Mitchells I used through the 50's & 60's - don't wont to tempt fate by trying to get the extra decade out of 'em. when they make perfectly good door stops;):D

nicepix

Reaction score
Haha......... it must be running on memory, I remember doing the football pools for longer than that with very little return;)
PS As per my earlier posts I used, and still have, the Mitchells I used through the 50's & 60's - don't wont to tempt fate by trying to get the extra decade out of 'em. when they make perfectly good door stops;):D

Not bad going for a door stop. Even when attached to a bit of old wood :w ;) :D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not bad going for a door stop. Even when attached to a bit of old wood :w ;) :D

Nicepix, I'm having a bit of banter - I'm not one to post pics or talk about weights but I'll make an exception here - I've caught carp to 27.14 on my '57' BJ MK1V avon recently(a birthday present at the time), not with one of my Mitchells though and smaller ones on my BJ MK1V carp rod and Mitchell 300s (also birthday presents) at Billing and Savay in the late 50's/early 60's - I believe I understand their pros and cons....................your call;)
Jerry

flightliner

Reaction score
Thing is Jerry, he's probably been using that same reel for over thirty years
Thirty eight to be exact Nicepix, it's a yorkshire thing !!!
The thing that always amuses me is when some specie type says how long they,ve had their reels "Ooooo it's been ten years now and its never let me down".Course it has'nt twonk! its spent ninety nine % of its time doin nowt in a rod rest/bite alarm waiting for a bite.
Use a mitchell match/300 for stickin on a river for a couple of weeks and it equates to the other guys reels ten year hibernation!:wh:rolleyes::eek:mg:

ps, Nicepix.
I've got loads of old spools, one is solid like the one on your picture. If you want it ,its yours.May make a good replacement/spare.
If you're over anytime let me know.

pps.
Jerry , like you i'll make an exception, had loads of twenty plus carp ,pike, and a river record Barbel (and bettered it several times since) on my old mitchells as well as winning a fair few matches in fenland and the Trent when matches were matches, in my time (I can hack it anywhich way)and the dam things just wont give up the ghost, when they do (if ever) they will get something of a viking sendoff by being buried by a river or dropped off a bridge in respect.
All the others I,ve got will just be binned.:);)

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Anyone remember the mini pipe-cleaner that was around the base of the spool on old reels to stop the line going behind the spool? Never worked!

Yes I remember that felt like ring too. Basic, and a waste of time.

Fond memories of getting grease over your fingers as you unwound the line that had crept under the spool skirt!

flightliner

Reaction score
Ok Jerry, will do, may take some time ,being someone who prefers things mechanical n old fashioned. Try in five but I wont be on as gotta go now. will look in tomos .:)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes I remember that felt like ring too. Basic, and a waste of time.

Fond memories of getting grease over your fingers as you unwound the line that had crept under the spool skirt!

Surest way to turn your sinking line into floating line for a bit of stick fishing!