Plonkers on your lake?

dean?o

Reaction score
does your lake have plonkers on it. having had quite a decent session a couple of weeks ago there was a couple of other anglers cast straight into my area of swim. once they noticed i was catching. do you suffer the same, and what can be done to stop these idiots. apart from casting a 4oz lead at them and causing an unessessary riot.

E

EC

I think it depends how far you are prepared to take it Dean, tomy mind there are 3 options mate.

1. Go and have a friendlyword then and there. However this could put yourself in danger.

2. Report the actions to the club/bailiff.

3. Fish elsewhere, either in an area where people can't disturb, if possible, or if not another water entirely.

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
Might be worth giving the offending party the benefit of the doubt? On my local commercial it's easy to encroach on another’s swim due to the prolific bankside vegetation and uneven profile of the margins. I had a guy casting straight into my swim a couple of sessions ago, and I just shouted over 'You do realise you're casting into a section I've baited up?’ He immediately apologised and cast a little further away.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
I think we'd all like to go over and have a polite word and if it turned sour hope we came out best, the problem arises if there is a few of them or said idiot gets on the phone to his mates to come on down, I think some fisheries are more bothered about getting money and will turn a blind eye to such things as they dont want the hassle, I once had some young lad come chat to me as I was doing well after about 10 minutes he just started fishing in my swim sat a mere 2 feet from me, then had the cheek to ask for bait!! I politely asked him to go back to where his parents were which he did, but he was such an annoying child and for those who have seen Bad Santa the absolute spit of the little fat lad in that! i dont mind the odd bit of asking what bait ur using etc as we've all done it but that just took the biscuit in my opinion. Having said that other times I've seen a few people and made that age old mistake of judging by looks which I will admit I was genuinely ashamed of as I dont think it fair to judge on how someone looks, my tattooist a prime example most people would look at him and rather cross the road than walk past him but his appearence is nothing like his personality, so in my rather drawn out way I would say if you think a quiet and polite word will do the trick go for it but it could potentially turn nasty if they are of a low mentality

dean?o

Reaction score
thanks guys for the help, i asked cause i was always brought up to respect other anglers space which i believe i do. i always try to choose a swim which protects me from this type of thing but this is not always possible. in this case i believe they knew what they was doing which is a little frustrating. i`m not a small lad and can look after myself but i go fishing to fish and enjoy the surroundings, not to cause grief or worse, fight. think i will let it go this time, if it happens again then speak to the baliff or the commitee members. just hope that doesn`t cause waves.

slime monster

Reaction score
ifind that instead of shouting if you walk round to them by the time you get there they have realised the error of there ways,allthough their is allways...one,like the lout that cast a lead over the end of my pole and left it there,. that required an alternative course of action.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Only slightly off topic .....

I was having a round of golf a few years back when a group behind kept pressuring us to play faster, right up our backsides. The group in front had a couple of old guys in but they weren't that slow. Eventually, on the 12th, the guys behind could bear it no more and one of them put his ball over my head from the tee, landing only about 15 yards in front of me. I casually walked over to his ball, bent down to take a long look, turned and glared at him and then very casually addressed the ball. I then hit the bloody thing straight back at him. Not sure if I was just lucky or the adrenaline was pumping but it went well over his head.

Not a word was exchanged and our party continued with our round. Funnily enough, those guys gave up after that hole and headed straight for the clubhouse.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Think twice Dean, some good advice above!

Mobile phones can be a blessing, but they can also call for back-up!

My advice would be "Oi mate, I'm fishing there!" if that fails ring the bailiff!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Fishing to me is all about enjoying myself in a relaxed peaceful atmosphere.

I deal with lots of conflict situations at work, its the last thing I want when I go fishing.

So personally, I would fish another lake.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Grumpy Git wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Only slightly off topic .....

I was having a round of golf a few years back when a group behind kept pressuring us to play faster, right up our backsides. The group in front had a couple of old guys in but they weren't that slow. Eventually, on the 12th, the guys behind could bear it no more and one of them put his ball over my head from the tee, landing only about 15 yards in front of me. I casually walked over to his ball, bent down to take a long look, turned and glared at him and then very casually addressed the ball. I then hit the bloody thing straight back at him. Not sure if I was just lucky or the adrenaline was pumping but it went well over his head.

Not a word was exchanged and our party continued with our round. Funnily enough, those guys gave up after that hole and headed straight for the clubhouse. </blockquote>Why didn't you just let them play through .......... It is proper golf etiquette as you will see HERE

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
With players in front on every hole to the 18th, local council course, there was no point in letting them through. I am fully aware of the 'etiquette' and smacking a ball at me while I am waiting for the next green to clear is definitely against it.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I must consider myself lucky,I have fished regularly for over forty years and the number of ar*seholes I have run into I can count on one hand.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Golfers pushing you from the back, "anglers" casting into your swim etc are one thing.

Even worse are those who sit on your bumper at the speed limit, pushing you to go faster!

aaron martin

Reaction score
i have had a few problems with them type they just dont seem to give a dam last time one fo them confronted me and started fing and blinding at me so i told him ti get a life and go home he wasnt to happy with that so he sadi he was off to get his dad, so i thought he was joking, i could see him walking with him so i brought me carp rod out off the water with a little 1/2oz bomb on the end and proceeded to cast in a dfferent direction and by mistake (yeah right) i happened to nearly hit them!! i didnt have any more problems.
wrong way to do it i know but i was really hacked off that day andi wasnt prepared to take any sh*t

DZ

Reaction score
I know that one ron...its hatefull...to the point where I get the urge to slam the breaks on! I have developed a very light break foot that allows me to flash the break lights with out actually slowing- sorry off topic.

I borrow the old mans RS6 Avant occaisionally and its incredible the amount of chav's in poxy renault clios you get right up your chuff- especially on the M5? Why? I like to go extra slow just to razz em up... (but then occaisionally floor it to the carpet when the fast lane actually clears- and you never see them again- cost about a fiver a minute mind/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif)

Like fishing- must keep mellow and zen

Or buy a rifle

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
Motorways don't have 'fast lanes', and never have. They have a driving lane on the left, then overtaking lanes to the right of that. When you have overtaken slower moving traffic you must return to the left hand lane.

Nothing worse than someone effectively blocking an entire motorway by doing 69.5mph in the outside overtaking lane.

Lane discipline, or lack therefore, is the biggest cause of both traffic flow problems and accidents on our motorways.

DZ

Reaction score
I predicted someone would pick that up when I typed 'fast lane'

As for middle lane drivers- another reason for the rifle

.....and handgrinades for caravans