Martin Gay and the 48lb Common...Setting the Record Straight

The bad one

Reaction score
OK I’ll take the first bite at this one. But first let me establish
  • I’m not a carp angler
  • Never met Martin so no axe to grind there.
  • I enjoyed Martin’s articles tremendously and would always be one of the first I read when I picked up the mags of the day.
  • I do remember the stories re the 48 doing the rounds at the time in the specimen world. Didn’t give much credence to them then and don’t now.
All of that established, and as a friend wishing to defend a dead man’s honour, and there’s nothing wrong with that if you sincerely believe he’s being done down.

I do find it odd that the piece you have wrote is attributed only to a “Close friend of MG.” I have to say I find that as disrespectful of him by you, for not having the courage of your own convictions and putting your name to it.
Had that been a close friend of mine being treated in the same way my name would have been emblazoned in big lights at the top of it.

What you have wrote sheds no more light on it than was shed at the time by I think MG himself. You were clearly aware of the rumblings around the capture at the time but yet as “close friend” knowing these You still felt you couldn’t ask him at a later date to settle it in your own mind that the rumblings weren’t true? And/or encourage him as a “close friend” to stop the rumours once and for all by saying where he’d had them from?

It might be me, but my view is that’s what you do with “close friends” when they are being done down by people who don’t know them jealous, etc.

Now I’d like to think MG had those fish in the UK but I still don’t even after reading your ammoniums article! But one things for sure I would have asked him outright at a later date given the rumblings to settle it for my own mind.

Last edited:

shortpaul

Reaction score
My view on all this - partly that there is some magical mystery in fishing that still attracts me, but mostly sadness.

Why?

No, it's not because people showed disrespect to a fellow angler who worked hard to provide to a nationwide community, sad though that is. But he kept the venue secret - to prevent overfishing.

It really saddens me. Fisherman used to keep quiet to protect their secret spots, so they could enjoy fishing in their favourite place in peace and quiet, be it a place full of fish (hotspot) or just somewhere particularly beautiful. But the fact that we now have to be careful to stop a bunch of bivvies being erected, or spods being launched, or car parks being demanded, enormous waiting lists for tickets, price hiking to eliminate these waiting lists (thus putting these mythical catches out of reach for your average joe) and ignorant folks leaving litter everywhere, not to mention the damage that can be done to an environment that's overfished. A local lake has no pike left in it because they were overfished for because of a story of a 35lb lady. The myth was false, but it was enough to lure a lot of predator anglers to the lake in the summer. I'm not against summer piking, but when a water is hammered irresponsibly, pike die, winter or summer.

I feel the fishing press is partly to blame - I remember a few years ago, when I was 17, begging my parents to let me fish at a very prolific carp fishery for a weekend. Why? A fishing magazine had reported a few monsters caught from it, and that the lake had been restocked with more F1 carp. Quite how I would get so excited over that, I don't know...

I love river fishing because you have no idea what's coming. For all I know, there could be a record there, and why not? Rivers, after all, offer ideal conditions for healthy fish growth (mostly, so long as they're managed properly).

I'll also say I see the attraction in specimen hunting, but it's bad for the sport when too many people flock to the same fisheries, day in, day out, hunting these small numbers of fish. Yes, it's very exciting - I used to do it myself. But that's a specimen hunter, more like working than fishing. One of my friends was saddened when he caught a twenty pound carp - a beautiful, English, common (rare enough these days!). Why? "I heard this place was full of 30's".

I guess I conclude that I don't care where he caught it from - record books being what they are, he would have needed serious verification and proper scales that weighed to the required amount accurately, and he had neither. All I care about is that he caught a beautiful fish from a water that, for all we know, could be relatively hammered nowadays. In fact, for all we know, it came from a river.

CONTROVERSY. I dont mean anyone, from any discpline of angling, any disrespect. I love all forms of fishing. But it has to be carefully managed, and the culture we live in means too many people demand the information to let them locate a monster easily, and that leads to fisheries dying.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
OK I’ll take the first bite at this one. But first let me establish
  • I’m not a carp angler
  • Never met Martin so no axe to grind there.
  • I enjoyed Martin’s articles tremendously and would always be one of the first I read when I picked up the mags of the day.
  • I do remember the stories re the 48 doing the rounds at the time in the specimen world. Didn’t give much credence to them then and don’t now.
All of that established, and as a friend wishing to defend a dead man’s honour, and there’s nothing wrong with that if you sincerely believe he’s being done down.

I do find it odd that the piece you have wrote is attributed only to a “Close friend of MG.” I have to say I find that as disrespectful of him by you, for not having the courage of your own convictions and putting your name to it.
Had that been a close friend of mine being treated in the same way my name would have been emblazoned in big lights at the top of it.

What you have wrote sheds no more light on it than was shed at the time by I think MG himself. You were clearly aware of the rumblings around the capture at the time but yet as “close friend” knowing these You still felt you couldn’t ask him at a later date to settle it in your own mind that the rumblings weren’t true? And/or encourage him as a “close friend” to stop the rumours once and for all by saying where he’d had them from?

It might be me, but my view is that’s what you do with “close friends” when they are being done down by people who don’t know them jealous, etc.

Now I’d like to think MG had those fish in the UK but I still don’t even after reading your ammoniums article! But one things for sure I would have asked him outright at a later date given the rumblings to settle it for my own mind.

I have to say that I completely agree with this post, although I differ in several respects. I couldn't call myself a friend of Martin's, I didn't know him that well, but I did meet him on a number of occasions and we corresponded via email often. Martin was a shy man, he told me he favoured email as a form of communication and I guessed it was because he didn't much like face-to-face conversation. We had two common interests, tench fishing and pike fishing and our email exchanges invariably centred around these. I once briefly touched on his carp captures, he answered my questions honestly but didn't volunteer much information and I didn't press the matter. He insisted that they were British fish, and knowing the man as I did, that was plenty good enough for me.

Martin's death came as a terrible shock and the angling world became a poorer place for the loss of such a gifted angler. I'd be happy to stand up for a man I respected and admired and I'd like to see the author of this piece do the same.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Barrie Rickards and Martin Gay were great friends and they both confided in each other both by phone and letter. I was involved with both on a small private lake that we had sole access to, as well as fishing with Barrie on a regular basis in the Fens. Martin was indeed a shy man but from what I knew of him he was also an extremely honest man. Barrie trusted him implicitly and when I asked Barrie about the extraordinary catch he told me that there was no doubt in his mind that the fish were caught in the UK and within a few miles of Martin's home. Barrie knew where they were caught because Martin told him, but I never asked where it was. Sadly we can't ask either of them the venue now, but I would believe Martin every time.
Martin had just cause to regret publishing the catch as he became the target of hate calls in the middle of the night, plus threats of violence.

paul1_

Reaction score
I don't know who this particular 'friend' of Martin's is, but he is not doing his late friend or his family any good in trying to perpetuate this old hoax.
Also attacking the integrity of Chris Ball does not put him in a good light either.
I had an interest in this matter at two levels. Firstly, I was the General Secretary of the Carp Society at the time and it was discussed at a Steering Committee meeting, secondly my late friend Alan Smith had an insiders knowledge of the whole debacle and he had lost all respect for Martin for the lie he was creating.
At the time we all struggled to understand Martin's motive and I still to this day don't know why he did what he did. At the time (and still) there were a couple of high profile known liars on the fishing scene, but Martin was not one of them.
It is fact that when Martin caught those fish he was on holiday in British Columbia, Canada. On his return he was happy to show pictures of his catch in Canada to some friends, including the respected Robin Monday, there was no suggestion then from Martin they were UK fish.
There was complete astonishment when he presumably was led by the nose by the Angling Times into claiming they were caught from an unknown UK water and the pictures had been 'doctored' so the lake could not be identified.
It is my understanding that the part of the picture blocked out did indeed show a Canadian mountain landscape.
These conclusions were also accepted as fact by the Carp Society leadership of the time and his claims were not accepted by us.
Martin died some years ago and this myth which reflects badly on him should have been laid to rest with him.
I just don't understand the motives of this anonymous 'friend' in trying to resurrect it all again. :mad:
Paul Selman, Laval, France.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Interesting Paul. However BC is not really a known big carp area to my knowledge so these 'counter claims' also become questionable. MG was in the group of anglers with 'no need to lie' so I accept his version.

paul1_

Reaction score
You are wrong on both counts, Geoff, there is fantastic big carp fishing in BC, one of my friends is a guide there and, sadly, on this occasion Martin did lie.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
"You are wrong on both counts, Geoff, there is fantastic big carp fishing in BC, one of my friends is a guide there and, sadly, on this occasion Martin did lie"
==========================================================
According to my upbringing and moral standards it is dangerous and scurrilous in the extreme to blatantly brand somebody a liar without evidence, Mr. Selman. How well did you know Martin? Reading the original, unattributed article here it would seem that the author knew Martin Gay like a brother: should your ripostes not have acknowledged or taken into account the author's long, close relationship with Martin Gay? I really do not think a 35 year friendship and all that that implies can simply be ignored! And what about the Partridges rod reference? Does this not cause you to reconsider your opinion? If not - why not? Please explain.
By the way, I can back up Colin Brett's reference to Professor Barrie Rickards. Martin revealed the location of his fabulous catches to Barrie and Barrie confirmed this to me when we shared a platform at an exhibition a few years back. The Professor has departed but there is still one well-known Essex man who knows the secret - unfortunately, it's not me!

richiekelly

Reaction score
I find it a terrible shame that any anglers seek to cast doubt upon another anglers catches, I don't know if MG caught the fish in question in this country or abroad but what I do know is that if an angler that is respected within angling circles says he caught the fish in this country I would tend to belive him and not the views of other anglers that are full of envy and their own self importance. I have angling friends that I have known most of my life and I would belive the weights of any fish they caught no matter what asspertions or doubts were cast by others.

I have every sympathy with the poster that mentioned keeping waters quiet, there are I am afraid to many within the angling world that are to ready to jump in on the back of anothers success which has usually been achieved by hard work, unfortunately this is becoming more prevalent in this "I want it now and I want it easy" world.

As far as I am concerned MG said he caught the fish in this country and that without any positive written evidence to the contrary is what I will always belive.

sam vimes

Reaction score
This whole saga is incredibly sad to see. However, I suspect that you need to be of a certain mindset and vintage to care a great deal.

I can't even say that I'd seen this story until I got involved with forums. I don't recall knowing the name Matin Gay prior to that.

Whatever the truth is, it encapsulates all that is bad about angling. I almost said modern angling there, but the reality is that this sort of rubbish has been going on for over fifty years.
However, if you are brave, or stupid, enough to publicise catches, whatever the motivation for doing so, this the sort of nonsense that can be expected.

Honestly, I can't think of a single good reason for most anglers, that don't aspire to some kind of angling fame or trade involvement, to even think of publicising a catch. There are plenty of negatives though.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Honestly, I can't think of a single good reason for most anglers, that don't aspire to some kind of angling fame or trade involvement, to even think of publicising a catch. There are plenty of negatives though.

Very, true Sam, and as we know there are plenty of very good anglers around regularly pulling out large specimens from club/syndicate/other waters with only a few friends/members ever knowing - also breaking listed river records (and one National record in recent years that I know of) - which makes some of the current river records for two species at least meaningless. Quite different from the mostly pretty average specimens that many sponsored anglers pose with surrounded by the sponsors products.
Jerry

paul1_

Reaction score
Cliff Hatton, I have taught law for 30 years, so I am conversant with all laws of libel and slander etc.
However I have quoted the absolute truth so have no worries. You ask how I know Martin Gay definitely caught those fish in Canada? BECAUSE WHEN HE CAME BACK FROM CANADA HE SHOWED PICTURES OF THOSE FISH (WITH NOTHING DISGUISED) TO CLOSE FRIENDS AND TOLD THEM THEY WERE CAUGHT IN CANADA ON HOLIDAY!
What went through his mind after that in claiming they were from UK is anyone's guess.
You are trying to tell me that the Carp Society Steering Committee at the time of which I was a member, Robin Monday, Jim Gibbinson, Derek Stritton, Alan Smith, Tim Paisley, Chris Ball, Bob Morris etc are all liars and Martin was telling the truth?
The headline in the Angling Times said: The Day I Broke **** Walker's Record - for goodness sake. As far as I am aware **** never claimed a Canadian record....
My last post on this topic....

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Well, Mr. Selman, I can't speak on behalf of the originator of this debate, but I can support his explanation by reading his words carefully and fully absorbing what it actually means to be close friends with somebody for "35 years". Would somebody - anybody - tell a downright lie to his near life-long friend - and Professor Rickards - in the manner described? And what about that rod business? Do you have an explanation for that - assuming you don't assume Martin's friend to be a 'liar' too?
Like you, I shan't be embroiling myself in this business either but it would be interesting to read anything else his friend has to say. Suffice to say I believe in his belief because I, too, am aware of how spiteful many trappers can be.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
You are wrong on both counts, Geoff, there is fantastic big carp fishing in BC, one of my friends is a guide there and, sadly, on this occasion Martin did lie.

That's good to know Paul. I've been to BC at least 6 times and have never found any carp fishing of note, and I have looked - not that I ever worried with the sturgeon and salmon fishing being so good. All the good carping I know of in Canada is on the oposite side of the country. Can you or your guide mate tell us more of these BC venues with 48lb carp? It'll be a free plug for him :)

Oh - and I think you omitted "in my opinion" from you post, as of course you (or I) cannot 'know' because there simply isn't enough proof one way or the other.
It's just as well **** Walker brought his fish back to London because some people would never have ever believed that either.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
I wonder if BR wrote about this catch in his diaries? I'll see if I can get a look into them.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
"BECAUSE WHEN HE CAME BACK FROM CANADA HE SHOWED PICTURES OF THOSE FISH (WITH NOTHING DISGUISED) TO CLOSE FRIENDS AND TOLD THEM THEY WERE CAUGHT IN CANADA ON HOLIDAY!
What went through his mind after that in claiming they were from UK is anyone's guess.
You are trying to tell me that the Carp Society Steering Committee at the time of which I was a member, Robin Monday, Jim Gibbinson, Derek Stritton, Alan Smith, Tim Paisley, Chris Ball, Bob Morris etc are all liars and Martin was telling the truth?"
=====================================================
Paul: As much as I'd genuinely like to, I simply can't let this go. As far as you are aware, did "...Robin Monday, Jim Gibbinson, Derek Stritton, Alan Smith, Tim Paisley, Chris Ball, Bob Morris etc" ALL actually see these undisguised pictures? I don't believe they did, did they? Who did? You refer to 'friends" (plural) As you well know, I was very close to Martin and his wife - warts 'n' all - for 35 long years during which time they visited the Banff area of British Columbia three or four times. After each visit my wife and I would, in due course, receive glowing accounts of the scenery, the standard of living, the wildlife...NEVER anything to do with fishing. He simply DIDN'T FISH on those trips! It's inconceivable that he'd 'keep schtum' to me about some fish he'd found in one of the countless lakes to be found 5,000 miles away in Canada!

When he came to my home to show me the shots of the '48' and many others he made it politely clear that the venue was to remain a secret. Now, even as a life-long friend, I didn't take offence though I did, of course, feel a bit peeved and a little hurt at being left in the dark. However, it was something I could live with and just carried on with my life...wondering. Our friendship didn't wane and, anyway, my fanaticism for carp had long gone by 89-90.

I can imagine that for hardened, full-on carp-trappers of Martin's acquaintance, his reticence to divulge the carps' whereabouts would be terribly frustrating and unbearably hard to swallow.

In good spirit, Paul, I ask if you can be more precise about who, exactly, saw these 'undisguised' photographs: it wasn't all of the above was it????

Thanks. I do hope you can reply.

The bad one

Reaction score
Cliff you say you were a close friend of Martin's for 35 years.
So a direct question to you? "Are you the author of the unattributed article at the heart of this thread?" And if so why did you not see fit to put your name to it?

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Yeah, it was silly, I know...wish I hadn't, and I apologise. I very quickly tried to make it obvious... seemed a good idea at the time! I do hope Paul Selman comes back with some answers to my questions and observations - particularly the one about the Partridge MKlV lying alongside one of the bigger carp Martin caught. He didn't take receipt of that rod until AFTER he'd returned from BC. As a non 'carp-man' (indeed, the 'carp man's' greatest foe!) it's highly unlikely he found another, different water to bless him with such a whacker. No, it was one of a string of big carp - including the '48' ('52') - he caught from an English water - just like he said. Again, sorry about the cupid stunt.

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

"Honestly, I can't think of a single good reason for most anglers, that don't aspire to some kind of angling fame or trade involvement, to even think of publicising a catch. There are plenty of negatives though"
======================================================
Hi, Sam. Just for the record, MG expressly shunned the 'fame and fortune' he could easily have achieved; he wasn't a publicity-seeker in the commercial sense or any other but, like many, many other exceptionally successful anglers he enjoyed writing about his catches. As a highly principled angler with a deep loathing for the trappers he saw as a threat to ethical angling he didtake mischievous pleasure in breaking the news of his giant carp very subtly through the merest mention at the tail end of a Coarse Angler piece.