Tench and Bream offer no challenge

D

Dave Crisp

I have been fishing for the last thirty odd years, and have become bored with fishing for Tench and Bream. No challenge at all, I feel that I may as well be using a net. They ought to be pulled out and left on the bank, obliterate them and they may start to put up a struggle to survive. I still have a few good years in me, and I am fed up with these Old Mens Fish. I have decided to try Carp, as it offers more entertainment and enjoyment. It puts up a mighty fight, not like the Tench and Bream, who let you pull them in for a cup of tea and a chat.
Am I right or what?

A

Alan Roe

How sad it is at a time when anglers are starting to learn to pull together to face a number of common problems like how to respond to the antis, absraction and pollution that we see the sort of mindless posting above.

I suppose that the intent is to try to get a reaction hence the schoolboy guttersnipe approach that has been taken.

It is sad that the poster who must have used a special keyboard i.e. one that is designed for use by low level neandertal knuckle draggers should have used it in this way to, if you will, prove his total incapability of having any regard for the finer feelings of others or indeed the promotion of unity within the sport.

Whilst I accept the right to have an opinion it appears that within this poster we have an example of one who abuses this priveledge by voicing this sort of mindless drivel to the general detrement of all.

There are times when the selective introduction of the concept of post natal abortion starts to have some appeal.

David Preston

Reaction score
I should like to suggest that Alan's reply has just about summed up every sensible angler's feelings on a post like this, and we don't give its originator the satisfaction of generating any further discussion on what is clearly a topic designed to create controversy and stir up aggro.

C

Carp Angler

Alan,

as much as I respect your view, I also respect the view of the person who started the thread.

There was no mass recrimination when Ron Clay posted this and clearly stated that carp should be exterminated.

Are you going to say that Ron should have been aborted at birth or was his thread OK because it was only about carp?

A

andrew jackson

A syndicate that my mate fishes has got the right idea, they have regular nettings in the close season. All the bream and silver fish are removed processed and provide a cheap scource of fish meals for the syndicate members, thus killing two birds with one stone. Very highly digestable too. :)
Only joking, they do net their water though, and the bream and silver fish are removed to waters where their presence is appreciated. Every one is a winner, the carp grow fatter and the anglers dont get woken up in the middle of the night, just to get slimed up. Any suggestion of culling is well out of order, but the removal of nuisance fish such as bream and tench is fine, if conducted properly and with the full consent of the e.a.

S

Stuart Bullard

Dave Crisp said

"They ought to be pulled out and left on the bank, obliterate them and they may start to put up a struggle to survive".

I think that this post and it's thread should be removed asap. There is no place for the use of such language. The man (and I use the term losely) should be ashamed of himself.

M

Malcolm Bason

I had an early night last night, so I missed this thread. If I had been up I would have replied in a similar vein to Rik!

It says it all, just because the word 'carp' isn't mentioned - its all 'shock' 'horror'!

R

Ron Clay

No challenge with tench and bream Dave...why not have a try for roach!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Right or Wrong.

WRONG.

No chance of respecting a view like that. Kids look on this site. Yeah, lets get the juniors into it, there our future right. Christ.

" They ought to be pulled out and left on the bank, obliterate them and they may start to put up a struggle to survive."

What a load of B****cks

Ah young man, thats just a 9lb tench, chuck it over the hedge, we gota wade through these and the carp will come.

What on earth would Walker, Stoney and the likes think of this. I genrally respect anyones views. But cannot believe that statement.

R

Ron Clay

Bream and tench are our native species and because of that they demand utmost respect. I will not state the obvious by saying that it's carp that should be thrown up the bank as many geuine anglers like to fish for them.

However one must always remember that carp are an introduced, genetically modified species.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Different People, Different Views! Although it does seem strange that as soon as a carp angler shows a strong opinion he gets shat on from a very high moral position. I wonder what would of happened if a coarse fisherman or ‘roach-noddy’ would have posted the thread? Would we be offering him a cup of tea and a biscuit saying there! There! There!

R

Ron Clay

Stuart, can you describe exactly what a coarse fisherman or "roach noddy" is?

G

Gary Knowles

Why do I get the impression the original thread is nothing more than a wind up ?

An attempt to redress the recent 'anti-carp' comments on this forum.

nice try......

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly Gary. It was originally posted in three categories on the forum to make sure it got a bite. Two were deleted.

I think we should stop replying to it now but leave the thread on as a prime example of what gives website forums a bad name.

R

Robert Draper

If it was an attempt to have a go at the general coarse fishing population then it was a rather crass attempt. Spouting drivel like this with its obviously inflammatory intent will do nothing but harden opinions on both sides to the detriment of both carp and coarse fishing. Both sides need to get closer rather than further apart if fisheries are going to survive both the global slowdown and the antis. We also need to settle differences and come together with the trout and salmon factions if we are to prevent a further balkanisation of angling...divided we fall!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I think my above point has just been confirmed 100%. People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones!

I rest my case!

R

Robert Draper

Oops, posted too soon.

I enjoy carp fishing as well as coarse fishing but the two extremes of each camp make me ashamed to call myself an angler sometimes. On the one hand we have the matchmen who think nothing of cramming nets full of tiny fish to the obvious delight of the Antis and on the other we have the problems of leads, line and destroying silver fish stocks from the carp side. Then you have people posting cr*p like this thread, I'm thinking of chucking it all in and going fly-only.

G

Gary Knowles

Try again Stuart - no matter how many times you cast that bait (probably a crappy boilie) you won't get a bite from me !