Charity shop/ bootfair finds.

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Went into a charity shop on friday and found a copy of "The Book of the Perch" for £3!!!!

Cheapest copy on amazon is £130 going up to £250!!!

What is your best ever find?

(Oh by the way, I'm not selling!!!)

mike Gibson

Reaction score
I've been pretty lucky.Picked up a Chapman 500 split cane avon rod in fairly good condition for £4 and a Sealey Octofloat split cane float rod that looked like it had never been used for a fiver at a local boot fair.

Also got a Trudex centre pin and a Mitchell Match (the blue one with thedab bale arm), both in good working order for three and four pounds respectively ata church jumble sale earlier this year.

Lark

Reaction score
Pre carboot days there were the old flea-markets. In 1980 I got my Allcocks Match Aerial in mint condition in it's original woodenbox for £5.

Reaction score
Boot sales are the major reason that tackle theft is on the up.

Think twice before bagging a bargain, you are only putting your own gear at risk.

That said 'Understanding Barbel' by Fred Crouch for 50p in Oxfam can't be bad...

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
10 very nice books for £30 at a boot fair, all first editions with DWs.

What I don't understand about Book of the Perch which I haven't got is why it is priced artificially high. OK it's a nicebook yet despite only 1500 being printed it is not scarce as Bookfinder will typically turn up 20 copies and yet who actually pays £150 for a copy? If one turned up every two years I could understand it but this suggests an inflated price. I think its true worth is about £20 to £30 pounds. Interestingly, Casting at the Sun had the same problem in that it typically fetched£200 but the high price flushed out plenty of copies and the price for a first edition is now around £75.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
A Speedia centrepin in mint nick (classic pin) for a fiver. Chapman ''Peter Stone'' Ledgerstrike seven quid-but best of all Allcocks Ariel with ebonite drum circa 1905- twenty quid because the drum didn't run true. Twenty minutes spent tuning had it spinning for three minutes with just a tap.