Some general help and info please!

rhys82

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm I do a little surfing from time to time! But as surf conditions are not always rite then i was thinking that it would be fun to get more out of trips down to the coast with the Mrs! So........ i was thinking of doing a bit of sea fishing!

Ive got an old rod from when i was a kid! And Ive probably got an old fixed spool reel some where! Obviously i will need some sort of tackle but that's not an issue for the time being!

what i really need to know is where can i go go fishing? Id prefer to go fishing from the rocks as i don't fancy standing on an open beach in the cold wind!

Also what can i fish for and where? I really don't mind doing my own research so any links to we sites or books will be great!

I'm located in west wales and mostly do my surfing in the St Davids area in Pembroke shire!

Thanks for any info you may have!

Rhys

Bluenose

Reaction score
The usual beaches and piers will be a decent starting point and if you think a beach will be cold, then getting soaked by a freak wave when rock fishing will feel ten times worse. First things first get yourself some decent clothing and you'll be fine in either case!

For rock marks to fish off the beaten track mate, you often need a detailed map or someone local to give you a helping hand as to when and where. Bear in mind that often, such marks will only cater for a few anglers in safety and sometimes people won't announce where they are (exactly) to all and sundry via a web forum for fear of turning up and finding them packed out.

The good news is you live in the right area! So I'd get out and have a look with an OS map but a couple of decent sea forums to have a peruse and ask a few questions are:

Wirral Sea Fishing.

World Sea Fishing.

rhys82

Reaction score
O.k! Thanks for your help mate will take a look!

aebitim

Reaction score
Fished the area a few times and have had good results using bubble floats and frozen sand eel from the rocks. The area around broadhaven offers a reasonable number of accesable rock marks and the small beaches provide good sport at night.