The Truth about Artificial Baits

Tanis Half Elven

Reaction score
Shaun,
Very well written article IMO.I was unsure about imitation baits a few years back.But tried the corn and it works very well.

Also use the rubber maggots,to keep the "Lobbies" on,in the Autumn and Winter while Perch fishing.I will be out again at the weekend useing the corn.But for now it's off to the Thames,with "Proper" baits :-}

F

Frothey

Great article Shaun... how about a re-hydration one?

Itip most of my hookbaits with flouro corn, pink actually seems to be one of the better colours for me..... the 6mm solar everlasting hookbaits are pretty good too, though I prefer to flavour them myself

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Shaun,

Thank you for a very interesting, educational and thought-provoking article.

I am something of a 'traditionalist' when it comes to baits, but I have been experimenting with tipping natural baits with artificials both maggots and boilies, with some success. Best to date has been yellow on red baits and pink on brown baits.

I do wonder though if these artificials might become more easily 'blown' on heavily fished venues?

F

Frothey

so use a different colour and flavour, like you would any bait. or maybe no flavour at all.....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Peter: "I am something of a 'traditionalist'......"

Never, I'm not having that!

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Dont flavour my artificial bait's, just leave them as they are.</blockquote>

they are plastic flavoured....

out of interest,I read somewhere that n-butyric acid is used in the production of the plastic that a lot of the baits are made of.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
I always have one of my hooks baited up with an artificial mostly corn or sometimes a tiger nut, but I never have 100% confidence in them, I expect if I start catching more on plastic I will get the confidence

W

Wolfman Woody

My Storm rubber shads stink of aniseed.

And they work a treat.

W

Wolfman Woody

Oh, and I should add that I had a really good day once fishing with one (yes ONE) red maggot from Berkley.

And all because the tackle shop WOULD NOT SELL ME ONE DOZEN real ones!

/forum/smilies/baring_teeth_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Peter: "I am something of a 'traditionalist'......"

Graham: Never, I'm not having that!

Hey boss, you'd have been 'proud' last week, I was fishing one of those pellet 'thingies' and on the Royalty . . . . . .

Nigel came down from his upstream swim for a chat and nearly fainted when he saw my bait.

Woody, nice to see that you've at least increased your bait demands from 10 to 12.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to see you any other way Peter. The world would be a poorer place if I didn't have someone to have a gooddebate with, and without acrimony and petty insults.

Huge smilie thingy------>here!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I used the rubber maggots yesterday on the Severn and had four perch between half a pound and a pound and that is when I discovered a problem with the rubber maggot, in true perch fashion they had all swallowed the bait well down but one in particlular wasquite a waydown but still removable with a disgorger. The problem was the disgorger stopped at the rubber one up the shank of the hook over the whipping and I had one hell of a job removing it, it took me much longer than normal and required a lot of forcing which I wouldn't normally do.

I could well imagine a less experienced and less patient/caring angler trying to rip the hook out after a couple of unsuccessful attempts.

Nathan

Reaction score
I have dabbled with plastic baits but never really had full confidence in them until this year. I was fishing a local runs water where if you quiet you can usually get the fish feeding right under your feet. I put out 2 identical rigs, one with real corn the other had one sinking & one pop up piece of artificial corn for a slow sinking presentation. Guess which one got the most takes & produced the bigger fish...the plastic!

This was on the back of fishing a few harder waters where i'd tipped baits with plastics on one rod & the other was just a plain bait. The plastic tipped bait was the only one to get a bite.

Not exactly scientific but it was enough to convince me they work.

Skoda

Reaction score
Thought provoking article Shaun, I'm another traditionalist waiting to be converted. I saw some fantastic looking plastic bread flake (Enterprise Tackle) the other day, anyone with any experience of this?

Andy

F

Fred Bonney

I haveused artificial baits when fighting my way through hoards of small rudd,and they worked.

It gave me more confidence to fish with all types,some good results too.

Having said that, I used some of Shaun'sLiver B8's the other day for some clonking chub.They love 'em.

K

Kevan Farmer

I've been using these plastic baits ever since Partridge brought them out. I'm not sure if they were the very first but it was years ago. I have 100% confidence in the rubber grubs, otherwise known as maggots. I have recently discovered the Browning version of artificial corn. Now that stuff feels exactly like real corn in that it is lovely and soft.

Anyway, artificial baits are nothing new really. What do you guys think spoons, pirks and plugs are /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif How about flies? All artificials..

Kevan