How did everyone get on then?

B

binka

Hope plenty of you managed to get out and enjoy another good weekend with the weather, how did you get on then?

Pretty much the same as last week for me so ready to ring the changes next week but plenty of fish today on the lake fishing worm and wag, funny thing was that after last weeks bag up i'd gone with heavier gear and the intention of targeting some good fish at the expense of fewer bites but instead of the nice perch the roach took over... at one point I was on a size four hook direct to five pound line and six worm halves and the first fish I took was a half pound roach!

Followed by an endless succession of small skimmers and more small roach!

Funny thing at times this fishing business :)

So then, how did you get on... ?

C

chefster

Allready posted on "set fair for the weekend".......chef:D

Terry D

Reaction score
5 fish for 5ozs and beat 4 others in our 8 man match. Top weight 2lb 6ozs (sticky crucian), the n 10ozs and 7ozs. Good job it was only a 3hr grueller!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Fished Saturday and Sunday and blanked my backside off. Saturday I spent the evening chasing the odd feeding fish around the lake. Unfortunately, I suspect that by the time I was finding them they were ready to move off. I got it wrong and was chasing rather than intercepting. Sunday saw the most angling pressure I've yet seen on this particular lake. Surprisingly, considering the warm weather, they weren't on the top. There was little evidence of them feeding anywhere else either. Still, it was a rather lovely day.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Four sessions last week in sunny Wales with SWMBO, four carp from Holgans Farm to 9.5lb and a load of roach, a 2lb Tench which was a pb and another load of roach from another pool which apparently has had a 3lb roach out in the last fortnight (roll on August and two weeks to track it down:)), best I could manage made about 12oz. Had an hour and a half jigging for mackerel on Satuirday with the lad and we brought back 21 so, all in all, a pretty good week

fozzie41

Reaction score
Second ever session on Sat morning, a whole load of perch again and 2/3 roach :)

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I'd been prebaiting a unfished corner of one of my club lakes in hopes of some of the bigger roach. Unfortunately float fishing was out of the question so it was out with the light feeder rod. I had an incredibly frustrating morning, I was plagued with tiny roach and almost unhittable lighting quick bites. I kept ringing the changes but nothing made any difference, after four hours I left with my tail between the legs. :(

I returned later in the evening and stalked a couple of smaller carp using corn and hemp. :)

C

chefster

Had a cracking day -today at Tunnel Barn (on New pool) in the company of Keith (Shallowman) Haynes,had a net of F1,s,skimmers,roach and small carp,probably about 45-50 lb,not a huge weight by TBF standards,but a lot of spawning activity going on...Keef probably had the same but to be fair spent a couple of hours coaching me!! so probably would of done over the ton.I had a great day and learnt so much from watching and being helped by a top class match angler.The venue is a really lovely complex,beautifully kept and picturesque,and all the staff on site and in the shop are brilliant and helpful! So anyone who knocks commies as featureless "holes in the ground"should have a look at TBF,before they jump to conclusion,Cheers Chef:D:D Off to Toft Farm Carp lake for an open tomorrow:D:D:D

tonybull

Reaction score
Fished a club Match on the bottom lake at Rayne lodge in Braintree Essex.

A peggy venue by all accounts, had 40lb 1oz, caught on the pellet feeder tight to an island but the majority of my fish came on the 5/6 m line, fishing paste cupping 4mm pellet at the same time.

Alot of people fell for the trap of fishing the margins all day because fish were showing.

Not a bad weight on the day, 25 of us fished so nearly all the pegs put in.

nicepix

Reaction score
All this talk of matches. I fished Friday and again today, but yesterday while visiting a friend in Dordogneshire we came across a fishing match in the neighbouring village. It kicked off at 9am and around midday I was walking the dog to have a nosey when the whistle went and everybody put their rods and poles down and walked up to the trestle tables that had been set out for lunch which naturally included wine. Apparently the match resumed at 2pm until 5pm.

Now that's how matches should be organised! :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
All this talk of matches. I fished Friday and again today, but yesterday while visiting a friend in Dordogneshire we came across a fishing match in the neighbouring village. It kicked off at 9am and around midday I was walking the dog to have a nosey when the whistle went and everybody put their rods and poles down and walked up to the trestle tables that had been set out for lunch which naturally included wine. Apparently the match resumed at 2pm until 5pm.

Now that's how matches should be organised!

That is my type of match!

Hopefully the wine was a decent local vintage . . . . . . . Bergerac or Marmande?

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score

Now that's how matches should be organised!
Share this post on Twitter
Share on Facebook
Everything stops pour La Midi huh!

nicepix

Reaction score
That is my type of match!

Hopefully the wine was a decent local vintage . . . . . . . Bergerac or Marmande?

I'm not sure Peter. I would imagine that they wouldn't stint on it though being an event organised by the village Maire.

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

Everything stops pour La Midi huh!

Pretty much so. At 12 noon everything closes down for repas.

Last year I stumbled on a two-day catfish match and they had a beer tent, marquee with trestle tables and even an inflatable paddling pool with aeration system to keep the catches in. When I went back the next day it contained three catfish, a barbel and a small perch :eek:

How the heck that perch was caught is beyond me as every single angler was fishing the helicopter rig with either live tench or big chunks of meat of various kinds.

InteraX

Reaction score
I didn't get out at the weekend as such, but had a good day last Thursday at Bury Hill .

I arrived at about 1PM looking to improve my PB of 13lb 10oz that's stood for about 5 years. After speaking to the guys in the shop, I headed down towards the far bay on the old lake. I set up in peg 47 and cast out my first rod. After about 15 minutes I had a bream of about 4lb. The guy in the shop came past whilst I was setting up my second rod. When he came back past, he mentioned that there were carp further up in the bay.

It was then I found out that my second bite alarm had failed. After a few minutes of trying to see what the problem was, I gave up, reeled in and bought one of the alarms they have in the shop. (expensive, but saved a days fishing)

When I got back, I had a walk down to the bay and saw about 4 fish on the surface feeding, so decided to move into peg 50. I cast one rod out half way across and had one off to the right in the margins. I had a couple of bream between then and 6PM.

Then the day changed.

A guy who turned up to surface fish the bay at 6PM wasn't having much luck and came over to say hello. At about 6.45, the rod half way across gave 2 quick bleeps and then screamed off. When I struck into it I felt very solid resistance. This was something different. With my line singing in the breeze, I spent about 5 minutes getting the fish in to the margin, but it wasn't ready for the net. After about 10 minutes of the fish running around on the bottom underneath my rod tip, we managed to get it netted. I could see that this was going to beat my PB, but didn't even hope for a 20. The guy who was helping me held the fish in the net whilst I got everything ready (unhooking equipment, wetted weigh sling, zeroed scales etc.) . As soon as I lifted the fish out I could tell this was something really special. I laid it down on the weigh sling on top of my unhooking mat. Once I had unhooked the fish, I weighed the fish.

I couldn't believe it when I lifted into it and saw the scales read 32lb 11oz! Je*** F'in Chr***!

I had a couple of photos taken with the fish and then returned it ASAP.

Suffice to say that this one fish has made my fishing year. As I have a young family, I rarely get out to fish (twice in 2011, once last year and twice so far this year). This was a real red letter day and feels like something really special. The day after I was still on cloud 9.

When they published the catch report on Sunday they said this is the largest fish out in 2 years. To say I'm still incredibly chuffed is an understatement. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to top this result.

IMAG0219.jpg

My bait was 15mm Dynamite Baits Robin Red Carp Pellets. I've been using them for since they came out as I has a couple of blinding days out on them (a fish every 5 minutes for several hours on end )

Now, how do you follow this up? I'm planning to take my son fishing for the first time in a few weeks. I'm a member of Farnham, so which of those waters would you recommend?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A hard day for all at Farlows match lake Uxbridge. Loads of blanks and the weights were poor. Winner had just 4 bream for 16lb. 2nd and third 2 tench each.
I came 4th with 2 bream for 6lb odd.

Good fish Interax.. I love OBH old lake, very picturesque but hard..
Well done...

InteraX

Reaction score
I had to get back out last night. I only managed a few hours after work, so it was back to bury hill again. I think they were more interested in playing with each other. I kept seeing them pop their heads out or jumping all evening. Not even a line bite!

C

chefster

Match at Toft Farm carp lake today was won by local legend Kevin Folwell again with 77-1-0,I weighed in 56-10-0 For 6th ,2nd-61-8-0,3rd-59-8-0,4th-58-0-0,5th-57-8-0.....all the top weights were close,20 fished...for my part i caught on method and dead reds,but came off of it when the lad next peg started catching in the margins,but couldnt make it work and only caught 3 and lost 3 in the last hour and a half,maybe if i,d stayed on the method ,i could have caught another 20lb in the last hour and half-who knows?-another lesson learned- never come off of feeding fish!!!:( Still i didnt feel to bad as there were a lot of venue regulars fishing today,and its only my third time there,and i had a 2nd on thurs!!:D..Chef