Landing net for Pike [lures]

Yoggy999

Reaction score
Hi chaps,Most of my lure fishing is done on my local Fenland drains. Unfortunately a sessionat the weekend resulted in a broken landing net

I`m on a strict budget at the moment [new bathroom!!]and I`ve been looking at various types of landing net that would suit my lure needs but most of the nets [Gye type] are way to expensive. I`ve been looking at the odd sea fishing net which seem ideal especially withtheir wide mesh. Can anyone recommend me a decent net. Ideally it would be at least 30in wide. Regards.

aaron martin

Reaction score
can i just ask why have you posted this thread in the sea fishing forum? and i would get a sea fishing net for the reason of the wide mesh.

Yoggy999

Reaction score
aaron, read my thread mate!!!!!!!.

But its ok now as I have one!

mickyfinn007

Reaction score
Glad to hear you've got one now, 'cos I've just found one 36" with 2.5 m handle £9.99, Glasgow Angling Centre.

Oh well, you've got the info now in case you need it in the future, ok mate.

Yoggy999

Reaction score
Thanks for the thought micky.

I`ll note that down anyway mate.

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
You could always make your own!

All you need is rot proof line, hand line, or defunct braid. Your tools will be a loop of PVC strip (easily available from Focus) and a short length of 3mm plywood, 50mm x 10mm.

Cut shallow grooves in the plywood ends. Fasten the PVC strip in a 600mm diameter loop, using masking tape.

Now loosely wrap your line around the loop, with loops every 50mm. Fix the loop spacing with masking tape. There should be sufficient slack in the loops, to allow the bottom of the loops to be twisted once. Tie the ends of the looped line together.

Now tie the end of the remaining line at the bottom of one of the loops, using a blood knot, or similar.

Take the plywood tool, brace one groove against the PVC ring. Pass the line through the bottom groove and back up to the next loop on the ring. Twiste the bottom of that loop, once. Now pass the line through the loop and behind the twist. Feed it back through the twist and pull it tight. Now pull the whole knot good and tight!

Repeat this procedure around the whole circle, tying off the ends together.

Now repeat the whole exercise for the next row of loops. I'd offset the start loop, progressively. Make sure you firmly pull the loops downward, to ensure uniform loop size.

Fiddly, frustrating (at first) but another winter's evening project from Nunky Bob!
net_lock.jpg