Sywell Pike

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Here we go again.......

For those who are unaware, following the recent 'James Farrow memorial match' held at Sywell country park, some discussions have been taking place regarding future fish-ins at the venue.

During the previous weekend the ranger (very kindly) offered a free season ticket for the venue - for fishing magic to use in future raffles or on-line auctions, if we were to book another fish-in there. Its unlikley the James Farrow match will be held there next year, as this is really a carp match - so Sywell is not the best venue for it. A tench fish-in next year however, is fine by me and if there's enough interest I'll happily arrange it.

In the mean time, the ranger also suggested the fishery would be ideal for a winter pike fish-in (this would also trigger the free season ticket for charity). Those who were there for the last event would I'm sure confirm there was enough pike activity in the clear margins to make this idea an exciting prospect..........?

Should we get enough interest on this thread in the next couple of weeks, then I shall arrange it.

My first thoughts on details are: winter pike fishing is best done during the day, so I'd be inclined to make it a dawn till dusk one day get together. Also some people suggested early october as a date - however knowing Sywell it could be very weedy at that time of the year, if not on the surface - it will still be think near the bottom. This could make the fishing very difficult in most of the swims. My gut feeling would be to fish at the back end of the season (February onwards) . Any weed still present should'nt cause too much problems. I am however happy to go along with what ever most people want......

Your thoughts...............................

Reaction score
Mark,

I would be interested (sure Lunghi Jim and Pikey Paul would fancy a crack too) and agree with your thoughts on weed. I'd be wanting to let some drifters loose.

Might be an idea to message the Bish, I'm sure some of the FM/ PAC members would be interested.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Go on then, you're better 'conected' them me /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Put a post on the Pike thread Mark and message Chris direct he doesn't bite. I would be interested depending on the exact date.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Richard Farrow wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Put a post on the Pike thread Mark and message Chris direct he doesn't bite. I would be interested depending on the exact date.</blockquote>

Thanks Richard,

At the moment I'm not trying to 'sell' the fish-in, more togauge interest. A post in the preadator topic my help, but I think Graham set up 'events & fish-ins' as a topic - so not to dilute other treads/topics. Anyone is free to point Chris in this direction for the time being.

Maybe some kind of teach-in for beginners could be incorperated ( with PAC involvement ??)

As I said earlier it's down to what everyone wants, the more ideas/feedback the better.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
As we discussed Mark it's too far for a one day'er for us, so we'll have to give it a miss.

A pike teach-in is a great idea and maybe you could incorporatesome lure fishing by an expert? Young Christian is certainly on his way to becoming a great lure angler and it's on his side of the world? Not too far for the "Meldrew" to travel either? I've heard he knows how to chuck a lure or two............

Hope it takes off Mark, we saw loads of pike!

Looking forward to next years tench fish-in though /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Steady on Steve...... Not sure I want all the riff-raff involved....

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Talking of riff-raff, don't invite Neil M' "Golden Balls" he can't go wrong at the mo'!!!

Good job he was double booked for the James Farrow event or Species name wouldn't be on it again!

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
We can make it a weekend....... If enough interest?

Camping that time of year is'nt that popular.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
We fish!.....................you are "camp" Specie........oooh eeer /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Specihunter

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Steve Spiller (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>We fish!.....................you are "camp" Specie........oooh eeer /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>
you would know/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif