Reels+Line

pez

Reaction score
Irecentlybought a new reel, ashakespear mach 3, and have loaded the spools with Diawa Sensor in various breaking strains ( 4 spools). I found today i couldn't leave the anti reverse off as the slightist movement causedspool to rotate backwardsthen the line was dropping off the spool and coiling around bottom of spoolcausing tangles, (with anti reverse on line was under tension and was ok)does this mean i have put the line on incorrectly. It does seem that thereel is very very free running if youknow what i mean.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Put the end of the line in the line clip when the reel is not in use.

I don't know the Shakespeare Mach 3, I wonder if it does have a line clip.

What breaking strains of line have you loaded?

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Pez, a lot of reels do this unless they have a balanced handle. The reel back winds depending on where the handle is after casting. Hence, when the anti reverse is on, this stops the back wind.

It may help, if after casting out, the handle is left so that if it drops down, it will rotate the reel forwards, thus winding the line on the reel and not of it. Again, keeping the line under tension.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Sounds like my little Shimano (double handle, so it's balanced) it is ultra smooth!

I have to flick the anti-reverse on or it just unwinds itself.

You aint done nothing wrong Pez, it's just technology and quality.

Strike and flick the anti-reverse off, good luck, it takes some getting used too!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
It may be worth cleaning the reel internally and re-packing with thicker lubricant. Modern reels do seem to be too free running and I don't see any advantage in this. Prior to bait-runners the usual method was to fish for (churners) This meant leaving the reel with the bail arm shut and letting the fish run against the internal resistance of the reel, If you tried this with a modern reel I am sure it would overrun.

pez

Reaction score
Its quite annoying because i <u>much</u> prefer to play fish by backwinding but yesterday fishing for carp with 6lb mainline i found i couldnt leave it with back wind turned on ( anti reverse thingy) as 2 mins later spool had about 4-5 coils ofline hanging around it. I wouldnt of minded so much if it was a real cheap reel and crappy line but both are well known brands.

NIGE K

Reaction score
have you over filled the spools, you shouldnt get coils hanging off what line is it