newcomer's questions

blankety blank

Reaction score
I am looking for some basic help setting myself up for some flyfishing.

I've got myself sorted with some kit, including a 9 foot 7 weight rod (a shakespeare Targa fly for £20) a basic greys reel, a WF 7weight floating line (with backing) and some braided loops.

Next week I am going for an evening at a local put and take lake in norfolk, and I hope to do a bit more of this, as well as goiung after chub on the rivers etc.

What do aI need in terms of a leader? I have a shoebox full of different monos etc, can I make my own tapered leaders, and if so, how long should they be and what combinations of line should i use?

also, are there any other ancilliary bits and pieces i should take with me?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I don't know that it's ideal as I'm no expert but I've been using lengths of flourocarbon in 10lb, 8lb then 6lb stepping down toward the fly in two foot lengths for the 10 & 8lb then 3 feet of the 6lb.

The extra foot on the 6lb allows for the loss of line when tying flies on and changing them over.

I take forceps, a small selection of flies, landing matt if it's catch & release and my net; that's about it. Oh and my make-shift priest if I'm keeping a couple.

S

Shrek

Your tapered leader needs to be approx 9ft, anymore and you'll struggle to cast it.

Paul's method is a good one, especially if you've a lot of line to use up, but remember that each not will provide a weakness that could result in a lost fish.

If I were you, I'd buy a couple of tapered leaders going down to an 8lb point, then tie on a couple of feet of 8lb tippet material and fish with that. Single fly on the point (possibly a damsel fly to start with) and you're away.

Don't forget to start casting with a short line and lengthen it once you've covered all the clock face angles as it were. If you start with a long line, you'll miss fish that are close in and will spook them too.

Let us know how you get on.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Thanks both of you.

I'll pop into the local Orvis for some fly advice, and i might go with a shop bought tapered leader to start with.

S

Shrek

I wuold if I were you, you'll find it much easier to get the fly to turn over properly and make good presentation.

C

Colin North, the one and only

I never use tapered leaders. Mostly I use 6 or 7lb straight through, and sometimes the leader may be 14 or 16 feet long, but mostly about 10 feet.

I have fished like this for years, including during my 1980's purple patch, when I fished two Home Internationals and 1986 World Championships in Belgium.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Well, I had a cracking evening on Wednesday, despite the downpour.

Armed with my new kit, some tapered leaders and a dozen flies, I had expected the evening to be an extended casting practice session rather than a concentrated effort to catch a fish, and for the first hour or so this was about right.

Having got into a bit of a groove with the casting, i took some advice from another angler and fished a pheasant tail nymph, stripping it back very quickly and just under the surface. After several "bow waving" trout had struck and missed, a trout took the nymph and I was in business. It turned out to be a rainbow of around 1 lb 8oz, and gave a very entertaining account of itself on the light fly gear. Terrific!

On point about the shop bout leaders, these were very expensive, and i got through 3 of them, due to my inexpert casting causing windknots. i will make my own up in future I think, and just trust that my knot tying skills will see me through......

S

Shrek

I can send you some instructions on making your own leaders that step down progessively, just using 1 long length of leader and twisting it together.

Send me a PM with your email address in it and I'll forward it on to you over the weekend.

C

Caught on your first outing. Now you won't stop spending money.

C

<blockquote class=quoteheader>blankety blank wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

PM for you Adrian.

Colin, the price of some of the rods and reels is frightening! </blockquote>

Too bloody true mate. Just to get some brand name on it. I personally have a 10' Loomis, but I promise you, I did not pay theasking price for it. I bought it from a very large Irishman, who won it in a competition on Loch Conn. He hated it, and said it was like fishing with a piece of spaghetti, and he only used it for about 10 minutes. I paid him £100 for it, which is aboutas much asit is worth.

If manufacturers can produce 16m poles for £300 or so, you can imagine that the actual cost of producing a 9 or 10' fly rod from carbon should only be a few pounds, so why anyone would pay £500/600 for such a rod astonishes me. I can only assume that there is a substantial snob value attached to paying such sums. Hardy, Sage, Loomis, Greys etc are just names.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Colin, who in your opinion makes the best value rods and reels? Is there a company out there who are not a sexy brand but who make good value and classy kit? Whois theDrennan of the flyfishing world?

S

Shrek

Shakespeare, without a doubt. I've got a Trion 9ft 3 piece #5/6 rod that I use for friends/beginners and it's a great bit of kit. Pikey Paul Howarth has one as well, I think, and he was putting out a very nice line when I last saw him fish.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Adrian, my rod is a shakespeare Targa, i got it for £20. I figured that it was more than good enough for me to learn on, but no coubt once i get really keen I am going to want to upgrade!