Can you fish just anywhere and still catch

bennygesserit

Reaction score
As I cycle about or walk the dogs I see lots of mini streams - do you thinnk they might have fish in ?

Mostly these are streams about 4 foot wide and by the looks of them no more than a few feet deep, or one where I walk my dog is about 15 foot wide but looks to be no more than a foot deep on all the parts where I walk.

These are the sorts of streams that run under motorways , and down concrete culverts.

I'll get a google view and post some pics.

maceo

Reaction score
I know the type of stream you're talking about, but whether they have fish in I don't know. The ones I've seen certainly have plenty of shopping trollies and old bicycle frames in them.

I'd probably tend to believe there isn't anything in them because they look so choked up and filthy, but I'll be interested to see other people's responses.

I bet there's bound to be someone who's had some decent fish out of the most unpromising looking motorway sluices!

ravey

Reaction score
If you google idlersquest, Jeff Hatt (aka Rufus on here) has done a very recent series of fascinating articles describing just the sort of waterway you describe..it may even be the same watercourse.

cg74

Reaction score
You can't catch anywhere but side streams, small tribs etc, often have excellent habitat, due in the main to them being left alone, allowing them to return too an almost natural state.
It's not uncommon to have a far higher biomass of fish in such waters as the rivers they feed.

I know of one such brook that has roach to 2lb+ and another that throws up 5lb+ chub with amazing frequency.
But the most productive waters tend to be 10-15ft wide and if approached in a stealthy manner are quite easy to catch from.
Fishing this types of small wild waters really do teach anglers valuable lessons in watercraft and are true eye openers regards fish behaviour, I think it would really shock many river anglers how tightly chub can shoal up.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Many of the little feeder streams and relief channels on the Hampshire Avon contain some very special fish . . . . . . . . you'd typically not give many of them a second glance either

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Often depends how close they are to a confluence with a larger river - fish may move up them at various times. In the south, many smaller rivers and larger streams are prone to drying out or getting too shallow for most of their length during dry spells - but fish may survive holed up in deeper pools. Easier to pollute a small stream or river too - less dilution.

shortpaul

Reaction score
If you find one that holds soem good fish - keep it to yourself

What he said. Take some polarising specs and look!

No location, but I caught a stunning wild near double figure common (well, it was 9lb, but come on...) from an offshoot of a river that ran through a farm for drainage. How did I get it? You won't believe me...

A holographic 4g Shakespeare spinner. It was intended for a huge perch I saw (easily 1 1/2lb, which is a big perch I think!). This carp just attacked it from under a huge drifter weed! It was cast a few metres upstream, then I just walked briskly with the rod over the water, 'walking' it along the stream at a speed that got the blade turning. It was the height of summer.

The water was maybe 3 feet deep, barely flowing and about 9 feet wide. These were the only fish I saw after scouring about 3-4 miles of it (except for a few very tiny baby eels in the algae), but that carp is the most special fish I've ever caught. It didn't really fight - if it ran, I could just walk in the direction it went, and it took about 30 seconds before it was in the net. I released it, and he hid back under the weed. The farmer said he's had perch, rudd and chub from it, and claims he'd seen some pike, but never a carp. If not for the photo, he wouldn't have believed me.

nicepix

Reaction score
Before I came out to France virtually all my fishing was done on overlooked waters including some like Bennygesserit mentioned.

There is a concrete lined culvert that goes under the M1 between J36 & J37 that holds trout to over 2lb. (Don't try and fish it. The gamekeeper will break your legs. He's a mate of mine :) ) And where the stream exits Worsbrough Res and winds through old derelict pit land they go twice that size. Further down near Mitchell's Pond you'll see chub of 3lb+ and before it enters the Dearne it is about 2 foot wide, 1 foot deep and about 60% dace by content. Other than the bit that runs through our shoot it is all free fishing.

Same on the Don in Sheffield. The river runs through industrial estates and past factories yet it is stuffed full of fish. Google 'Steel City Grayling' on youtube

Same on the Dearne. Barbel to 14lb, chub to 6lb and double figure carp all free.

I even found an overlooked spot near the coast where you can catch mullet, flounder and roach in the same swim and I've never seen another angler there.

Get on Google Earth and discover the free urban fishing near you.

elliottwaters

Reaction score
Assuming there is no “Private” or “No Fishing” signs, go for it – what have you got to lose? Travel light with just a rod, reel, net, bait and a few bits and you can be pleasantly surprised.

Over the years I’ve had a dabble in all sorts of unpromising small streams and while I have sometimes blanked, I’ve also caught quality fish. Again, assuming there is no "No Fishing" Park ponds are also worth trying.

Don’t be put off by appearances, I’ve had fish from skanky looking suburban streams and ponds bedecked with abandoned shopping trolleys and bike frames which look as if they are home to nothing but rats and the odd eel.

On Wednesday, I thought I’d try a scruffy looking pond on Chislehurst common, where apart from the occasional kid with a net and jam jar I’ve never seen anyone fishing. In just over two hours, I had three small carp all in good fighting condition.

Apart from the fact that tehre places are free to fish (always welcome in these cash strapped times), I get a real buzz catching a few fish from places where no one else goes or popular wisdom (whatever that is) claims its not worth bothering.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I have snapshotted one of the places where I walk my dogs but difficult without being able to zoom in and out to get an idea of how it really is

bennygesserit-albums-my-first-album-picture3523-screenshot-070613-20-34-35.png

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

If you google idlersquest, Jeff Hatt (aka Rufus on here) has done a very recent series of fascinating articles describing just the sort of waterway you describe..it may even be the same watercourse.

if anyone has a link let me know I found the blog but I can't find the particular one

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

I know the type of stream you're talking about, but whether they have fish in I don't know. The ones I've seen certainly have plenty of shopping trollies and old bicycle frames in them.

I'd probably tend to believe there isn't anything in them because they look so choked up and filthy, but I'll be interested to see other people's responses.

I bet there's bound to be someone who's had some decent fish out of the most unpromising looking motorway sluices!

Maceo I watched Mainstream on DVR today Matt Hayes was fishing the upper reaches of , the Ouse I think , and he had a fantastic chub out of what looked to be litle more than a ditch.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

Many thanks for the replies and links , NicePix I had forgotten that this was a real interest of yours.

I assume that a certain depth will produce more fish ?

N

Neil Smart

Most streams have fish, and the one you illustrated looks like a major opportunity, I have caught from much smaller, but the problem with these waterways is they are very prone to Agricultural pollution. If you see Heron there will be fish.Chub can grow to a decent size in small streams.

nicepix

Reaction score
Most streams have fish, and the one you illustrated looks like a major opportunity, I have caught from much smaller, but the problem with these waterways is they are very prone to Agricultural pollution. If you see Heron there will be fish.Chub can grow to a decent size in small streams.

Herons also feed on frogs, slugs and other things so don't put too much faith in them as a fish finder. I regularly see them in the middle of fields miles from water.

The best way to find out is to fish it or look for signs of fish. Chuck a piece of bread crust into a slack and see what is attracted to it. Or throw a few worms into an area where you can watch for any activity.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Herons also feed on frogs, slugs and other things so don't put too much faith in them as a fish finder. I regularly see them in the middle of fields miles from water.

The best way to find out is to fish it or look for signs of fish. Chuck a piece of bread crust into a slack and see what is attracted to it. Or throw a few worms into an area where you can watch for any activity.

What if the stream is muddy brown would that indicate anything significant ? i will try and get a decent video of a couple when I am out and see if it sheds any light

nicepix

Reaction score
What if the stream is muddy brown would that indicate anything significant ? i will try and get a decent video of a couple when I am out and see if it sheds any light

Running water and many small still waters change colour after a period of heavy rain. It might run clear in a few days time.

The only real way to discover if there are fish in it is either to fish it or sit and watch a stretch that looks 'fishy'. You really need to spend a few minutes at least staring into the water. Sounds daft, but there is one stretch of the River Dove near Darfield that is no more than 2 foot wide and 1 foot deep running over a gravel bed. I stared at this fishless stretch for a good two minutes before realising that there were dozens of dace in there. It was only after seeing slight movement that I could begin to see the shapes of the fish.

On these waters the bigger fish will use all the cover that they can. Under cut banks, fallen branches and particularly under waterfalls no matter how small. In spate the increased flow will cut a deep hole out under the lip. The best time to spot these fish in the shortest time is to visit at dusk when flies are hatching. Otherwise you have to stand or sit and watch for movement. Sunny days are best when the water is clear. They give themselves away in moving out of cover into mainstream to intercept food. Just downstream of the dace swim I mentioned, close to where the Dove meets the Dearne is a narrow channel overgrown with brambles. You wouldn't give it a second glance yet there are two chub of around 2lb each that glide out from under the tree roots, meander about then disappear back under the roots. You can see one of them here;