D700

• Thread starter Colin North, the one and only
  • Start date
C

Colin North, the one and only

Anyone seen one yet? Monk, start saving for the next upgrade, only £1,900 odd!

The Monk

Reaction score
sounds reasonable, by the time the D700 comes out that will be cheap

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading my D200 and cant decide between the D3 or D700.

Can anyone tell me why Nikon only produce cameras with max resolutions of 12MP, when the flagship Canon body boasts 21MP?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've got the D700 Chris but I've not used a D3 so I can't compare the two. But it does look like the only real difference is in speed. Unless you're into fast sports photography I reckon you're better with a D700 and the battery grip which can be fitted just when you need it. That brings it up to D3 speed.

Damn nice to be looking through a 35mm viewfinder again and not have to multiply all my lens focal lengths by 1.5. And my wide angle lenses are really wide again.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Oh, by the way Chris, it won't be long before the whingers appear, telling you you don't need a D700 or a D3, that a mobile phone camera will do the same job.

Just smile and try not to feel too happy that you've got or are getting a D3 or a D700
smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
The main attractions of the D700 over my D200are the full size sensor, the self cleaning facility on the sensor and the low noise specification at higher ISO's Graham. Funnily enough I've just read the full review in the DP magazine, and it bears out exactly the point you've made, i.e the only real benefit beyond the stronger body is it's fps output, which isn't hugely important to most of my photography. I think the D700 is enough camera for me, and at a £1000 less I can think about a new lens or something.

In fact I'm probably going to let the dust settle a wee bit and wait for the D700 to drop a bit in price too.

Still wondering about the gulf between the max resolution on the Nikons and Canons though. I wonder if that extra resolution actually has any impact on file quality?

W

Wolfman Woody

You have mail, Mr Marsbar.

Stop encouraging other people to follow you, you're a bad example.

/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="quoteheader">Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote> <blockquote class="quote">

Oh, by the way Chris, it won't be long before the whingers appear, telling you you don't need a D700 or a D3, that a mobile phone camera will do the same job.

Just smile and try not to feel too happy that you've got or are getting a D3 or a D700
smile_smiley.gif
</blockquote> <blockquote class="quoteheader"></blockquote><blockquote class="quoteheader">Mark Hewitt (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class="quote">Bloody snobs!
sarcastic_smiley.gif
</blockquote>
<blockquote class="quoteheader">Woody the Moaning Marlow Meldrew wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class="quote">

You have mail, Mr Marsbar.

Stop encouraging other people to follow you, you're a bad example.

i_dont_know_smiley.gif
</blockquote>

Say no more
tongue_out_smiley.gif

Chris: "Just remembered Graham. Will the D700 still be compatible with my existing AF lenses? And have you any idea whether my ML3 remote control and SB28 flash unit will work with it?"

Copied this from another site: Compatible Lenses • DX AF Nikkor: All functions supported

According to this site the ML3 is compatible

And I found this on another site:Flash Control: 1) TTL flash control with 1,005-pixel RGB sensor; i-TTL balanced fill-flash and standard i-TTL fill-flash available with SB-900, 800, 600 or 400
2) Auto aperture (AA): Available with SB-900, 800 and CPU lens
3) Non-TTL auto (A): Available with SB-900, 800, 28, 27 or 22s
4) Distance-priority manual (GN): Available with SB-900, 800

Morespiders

Reaction score
Wheres Mr Marsdens post gone time 17-07pm load of technical tripe.

Make your mind up its been on and off about 4 times today.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Perhaps to trip to a camera shop with all your lens to try on the new camera before purchase Chris??

C

Cakey

I cant believe how much better the D300 is over the D200

the screen being one of them with my poor little eyes

Reaction score
"......the screen being one of them with my poor little eyes"

I can certainly relate to that too Cakey.

In what other ways have you found the D300 to be a better camera than the D200?

Regards Chris

C

Cakey

Chris the live view is superb ,not for action shots but for close ups etc Ive found it really good for focusing

and I love the way the back screen can show all the info of the top screen