Storing opened packets of stuff?

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I've been messing about trying to decide the best way of storing open packets of ground bait, pellets etc.. and can't really decide the best approach to storing them.

I've got small tubs I take with me so that I'm not carrying kilos of bait, but I can't decide if I should transfer smaller amounts into ever decreasing sized tubs at home or in the car to keep the amount of air down as I don't manage to get out often?

What say you?

aebitim

Reaction score
A small freezer is my solution, cooking hemp in bulk, storing opened bags of groundbait,pastes sweetcorn etc etc

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Sonu baits groundbaits and pellets come in resealable bags. Job done.....
Otherwise ask at local pubs or cafes if they have any empty mayonnaise ( or other products ) catering sized tubs with snap on lids. Ideal for airtight bait storage.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Sonu baits groundbaits and pellets come in resealable bags. Job done.....
Otherwise ask at local pubs or cafes if they have any empty mayonnaise ( or other products ) catering sized tubs with snap on lids. Ideal for airtight bait storage.

A small freezer is my solution, cooking hemp in bulk, storing opened bags of groundbait,pastes sweetcorn etc etc

I am forever amazed at the knowledge and ingenuity some can command, thank you!

sagalout

Reaction score
I have a steel filing cabinet in the shed to keep the mice and rats at bay and store all baits in ice cream tubs in the cabinet. The ice cream tubs are readily available for free from the ice cream sellers that proliferate the seafront here.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just seal open bags of groundbait, pellets, etc. with those plastic locking grip-strips you can get cheaply from IKEA, etc. and keep them on a shelf in my garage. Boilies I keep in those small, snap-shut food containers from Poundland and things like fish meal, Expanders, etc. get put in empty litre tubs that contained fresh soup or pasta sauces. I also have a freezer in my garage for paste, dead maggots and bags of prawns. :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I roll the top of the packet down and secure it with a couple of clothes pegs.

These are then stored in large bait buckets of the type that carp anglers use with a snap shut lid.

Job done.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I store open bait packets in plastic tubs that are stored in larger plastic container - might be over kill but I don't want rats or mice in eating the bait and my fishing gear

dead peg

Reaction score
I keep all my pellets in pvc milk cartons , there strong , light & waterproof . My ground bait comes in re-sealable bags but i still put that in a pvc container to prevent it splitting or getting wet

laguna

Reaction score
In the presence of water (content) and in the absence of cryoprotectants, its a little known fact that freezing denatures proteins and damages bait/food items at the cellular level.. okay so the fish will not care but I simply couldn't sleep at night knowing my bait is less that perfect! :D
Controversially, I suspect a slightly 'matured' bait is superior to a fresh or one that is preserved properly and is also more attractive to the fish... malted, sprouted, cultured (pre-digested) etc.

here's a few ideas you can try to keep it bit longer (without freezing)...

1. vacuum seal it
2. add salt
3. ferment it
4. add propylene glycol
5. dry ice
6. add glycerine

There's also other ways, but i'm not at liberty to say :wh

Ps, I forgot to say, Glycerine used neat WILL NOT preserve your bait, it WILL NOT protect your rod rings and line from freezing either as many folk believe. ;)

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been thinking of buying one of those kitchen vacuum baggers for a while now, does anyone have any experience of them?

seth49

Reaction score
lidl will be selling vacuum sealers from monday the 17th of june. for £19.99. if that helps. Will probably get one myself.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of buying one of those kitchen vacuum baggers for a while now, does anyone have any experience of them?

I don't own one but I would think that they would only be good for quite hard baits, or maybe groundbait.

The ones I've seen in use do compact the contents really tightly and I'd be afraid that soft-ish baits would become too squashed.

As I say, I don't own one but would try to get a demonstration before laying out good money . . . . . . .

john step

Reaction score
I keep the bulk items in dustbins with lockable lids in the shed. My neighbours are obsesive bird feeders who cannot comprehend that piles of bread etc not only attract pidgeons/rooks and other vermin but also rats and mice.
Bottles of flavour and boilies are brought into the stable temperature in the garage especially in hot weather and freezing conditions.
Oh and they are continually surprised that they get mice in their loft!!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
At the end of a session I re-seal bags of half used groundbait with tape - the wide brown packaging stuff. Stops it spilling out everywhere.

As for mixed groundbait, may freeze it if i think theres enough worth saving - esp if its loaded with hemp and casters etc.