The Chod Rig

F

Frothey

Lovely stuff Samantha... have you tried the Osprey weights? they seem a bit smaller for their size (if stuff like that bothers you!)

it looks like you have, but when I used to use crimps I used to blob the bit by the crimp as well, just in case.

That lake in the pic looks familiar... big fish from there if it is!

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
So if the weight dissapears into the silt or soft bottom, what is the advantage of it being clear? or am I missing the point?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The weight, being of a less dense material than lead, will not bury itself so deep into the silt.

I think Frothey that our friend in SA might want to try out this rig, after all he is fishing at distance on a soft silty bottom.

F

Frothey

Samantha did say it was designed for fishing over soft bottoms, but its also good as a long-range pop-up rig. it was a long range sea fishing rig after all!i know a few people on gravel pits that use the clear leads and catch a few - whether they catch any more than a normal lead is up for discussion but if it gives you confidence its got to be worth using.

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Lovely stuff Samantha... have you tried the Osprey weights?</blockquote>
oops, just read the bit at the bottom /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I have never crimped anything other than pike traces...........care to share your method with us in pics Froths?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Daft question.............but what stops the hooklength going back up the mainline on impact with the water?

NIGE K

Reaction score
you dont need a clear lead on it she uses them because she is sponsered by the company who make them.

F

Frothey

but what stops the hooklength going back up the mainline on impact with the water?

there's a boilie/stop above the swivel.

she uses them because she is sponsered by the company who make them

you're right, you dont NEED them, but in the same way you dont NEED backleads most of the time but people use them as it makes them more confident. fine, she's sponsored but I know a few people who were initially sceptical about them who now swear by them.......

F

Frothey

Same as in the article really Paul, the tag end in
samchod008.jpg

I would blob and pull down to the crimp before criming tight, just in case it slips. It does look like it has been blobbed to be honest, but it wasn't mentioned.

whats wrong with me, its normally me picking at things..... I'm off for a lay down /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

the swivel the hooklength is attached to /forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif. She uses a 10mm bait instead of a stop, which actually make sense as it would easily come off if you cracked off, rather relying on luck with the rubber bead passing over the knot joining the leadcore to the mainline.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sorry, Sam did supply more pictures, including these:<div align="center">
samchod011.jpg

<div align="center">
samchod012.jpg

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
So what happens when a carp takes one of the boilies on the line and gives a huge false take/liner? Which some anglers might strike at? Cringe at the thought!

Nice rig and pics Sam, but I think I'll use rubber beads and those rubber swivel stopthingies?

NIGE K

Reaction score
i thought that steve plus the boilies on the lead core could justspook an interested carp if it trys to take one

F

Frothey

why would it spook? it just wouldn't be able to pick it up..... it would probably just move to the next one. if you watch fish that have "sussed" a rig, they rarely spook - they just ignore the "suspect" hookbait. which might actually work to your advantage like the incredibly dodgy2 hook rig years ago......

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"whats wrong with me, its normally me picking at things....."

Dunno mate or is this the pefect rig Frothster? /forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

no such thing, but they are all worth a try before writing off....

steveo

Reaction score
Different concept on the helicopter/chod rig Sam,I may give it go.

Frothy have you tried the roundabout rig??..I know this ? isnt about Sams rig but I didnt think it warranted a new thread.

Cheers