Hardcase protection holdall or normal holdall

B

berniewood

What to get a protector hardcase holdall or a normal holdall. Reason why I ask is that it's nice to get to your chosen peg with your rods made up or semi made up, but are the eyes protected as there's quite allot of room for manoeuvrability in them, plus if it's a float match rod, they come in 3 lengths so would ideally have to be rod bandedBut then again it's the thought of having to unzip your normal holdall, tip it up to remove the rod from the rod tube then remove it from its cloth bag and assemble.But one thing that allot of hardcase protector holdalls don't have and that's pockets for brollies and bank sticks.I do like the 3 rod korum total protector holdall though.
HELP PLEASE

tenchless

Reaction score
Hi bernie.i have the korum holdall and it takes everything but the kitchen sink.3 rods ready to go,banksticks,rod pod,shelter,landing net pole with room left.I find my rods fit in quite snug so dont move around inside,my reels are 4000 size and i think other anglers that use bigger reels have said the holdall struggles to take them.Have had mine for a few seasons now and love it the only thing is because you can get so much kit in them they can be heavy if its any distance to your swim,no probs on a barrow though.Tenchless

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been using the Preston Monster Hardcase Holdall and it has space for everything.

I can get 2 long pole plus landing net handles and brolly as well as 2 made-up rods, all carried safely.

B

berniewood

Yeah sorry I should have said, it's for coarse fishing gear not carp fishing, so it's to accommodate feeder rods and 3 piece float rods, semi made up.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Horses for courses. I have a pole holdall, rod holdall and two rod hardcase. What I take depends on where I'm fishing. The rod holdall has my tubed three piece match and feeder rods in it. It comes out if I don't know what to expect or on rivers and more natural waters. I really don't like leaving three piece rods made up.
The pole holdall only comes out if I think that the pole may be used. The hardcase takes my two piece commercial float and feeder rod. They don't even get into the boot unless I'm going to a commie. I don't leave the rods made up in it anyway. I don't have an issue leaving carp and barbel rods set up in the manner but I've had too much bother with lighter lines getting damaged. I'd rather tackle up on the bank and inspect the line when doing so.

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
same as lord paul , rod quiver with tip protectors all my rods are 2 piece , so just take 2 floats rods made up and a quiver rod made up and ready to get fishing, have to be more carefull loading the car but , its light to carry and i,m fishing within mins, love it.

robtherake

Reaction score
I have the Korum Hardcase and 2-rod quiver.
9 times out of ten I take the quiver. The hardcase is not only heavy, but has concertinaed slightly at the base, making it a tight squeeze for 2-piece 12 footers.

B

berniewood

I have the Korum Hardcase and 2-rod quiver.
9 times out of ten I take the quiver. The hardcase is not only heavy, but has concertinaed slightly at the base, making it a tight squeeze for 2-piece 12 footers.
Yeah this is one of the reasons why I'm thinking, "do I need a protection holdall and why not just keep to the old time, with a normal holdall with rods in tubes with cloth bags" for the sake of a few more minutes taking them out and setting them up. For years holdalls have been like that until recently.

nicepix

Reaction score
The Korum 2 Rod Total Protection Quiver is really designed for two piece12 foot rods. I use it to carry a three piece 15 foot rod with no problem.

Some have mentioned that this quiver won't take reels bigger than Shimano 5000 size. It will. I have Aero 8000s and also two Daiwa Z5000BR that are much bigger, than an Aero 5000 as is my Penn 760L. They will fit if you put them in carefully. You can also carry a third rod made up under the brolly. It is heavy and very well constructed.

terry m

Reaction score
The Chub quiver is good for river roving and I use a Nash Space Shuttle for serious carping.

I do not think anyone produces a 'one size fits all' rod holdall to suit all occasions.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
What to get a protector hardcase holdall or a normal holdall. Reason why I ask is that it's nice to get to your chosen peg with your rods made up or semi made up, but are the eyes protected as there's quite allot of room for manoeuvrability in them, plus if it's a float match rod, they come in 3 lengths so would ideally have to be rod bandedBut then again it's the thought of having to unzip your normal holdall, tip it up to remove the rod from the rod tube then remove it from its cloth bag and assemble.But one thing that allot of hardcase protector holdalls don't have and that's pockets for brollies and bank sticks.I do like the 3 rod korum total protector holdall though.
HELP PLEASE

I've got a 2 rod Korum that you can try if you like mate. I don't use it as I find it a bit heavy, although it does stop reels getting bashed about.