Lucksall Caravan Park

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Anyone got any thoughts (positive or negative) on the fishing experience on the river wye at Lucksall Caravan Park in Mordiford (nr Hereford)? Would like some barbel, but chub, big roach or even dace would also be welcome.

I'm planning to go up there for the night early in the season, most likely get fishing by about 6pm (avoiding canoes) through til dark, kip in the tent and then make an early start at 4 or 5, through til 10ish (or whenever the Saturday canoe traffic beats me back!)

If anyone does know it very well.... I'm torn between the swims on the park itself, or the stretch just a little upstream - either left bank between the caravan park and the bridge or right bank between the bridge and (opposite) luggsmouth, which I'm informed is now on the HDAA ticket.

All opinions welcome...

cheers
Jim

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would love to help but know nothing about the Wye. Bound to be those on here who do, but aren't being very forthcoming. :confused:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Thanks Jack.

I went for the first time last year on a wye and usk beat near monmouth and caught my first barbel, absolutely brilliant... however, at £20 a day ticket, plus food and overnight accommdoation its a bit of an expensive day out!!

However, the caravan park is about £17 a night for me+tent, and a £5 day ticket, which is a bit more like it.

No matter, one of the reasons I'm going (as well as the fishing) is to have a look at other stretches I'll be able to get to. Not a short drive from Oxfordshire, so time well spent.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Jack.

I went for the first time last year on a wye and usk beat near monmouth and caught my first barbel, absolutely brilliant... however, at £20 a day ticket, plus food and overnight accommdoation its a bit of an expensive day out!!

However, the caravan park is about £17 a night for me+tent, and a £5 day ticket, which is a bit more like it.

No matter, one of the reasons I'm going (as well as the fishing) is to have a look at other stretches I'll be able to get to. Not a short drive from Oxfordshire, so time well spent.

Follow your nose, travel light and try any sections that look deep and fast. Keep moving till you strike lucky. :)

souliedave

Reaction score
Hi Jim, welcome to the site, I can't give you any help on the Wye at lucksall myself, but have a look on Dave Harrell's Facebook page, he may be able to give you some info, as he does coaching days on the Wye, Don't be frightened of him, he's a really decent and nice guy, he may be able to help, or if not put you onto someone who can, hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.:)

paulhereford

Reaction score
Hello Jim. I live close to Lucksall Caravan Park but have not fished that section of the Wye. Like most stretches of the Wye, barbel will be found throughout. A good source of information is Woody who runs Woodys Angling Centre in Hereford. It would be worth going to see him and in return for good advice you could purchase some of the bits and pieces you will need. The shop is about 5 miles from Lucksall. Woody's Angling Centre, 67 Whitecross Road, Hereford, HR4 0DG Tel. 01432 344644.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Cheers fellas

Dave, i will look in on his facebook page like you say - thanks for the tip.

Paul - I did actually phone woody's shop and the guy I spoke to was really helpful, he did explain about the new stretch being added which is very close by and about the pegs immediately downstream of the bridge too.

In relation to getting in to the shop, my problem is simply one of time. I doubt I'll be able to get to the caravan park before 6pm (so I'm sure I wouldnt make it to the shop before they shut). And then I need to be away again quite early in the morning. The thing that's appealing about staying at the park is that I'll be able to spend absolutely all the time available to me fishing... so for example, if i get up at 5am in the morning, I can be fishing by 5.10. Its obviously quite handy that they sell day tickets at the caravan park too...

I will let you know how it goes. Cheers again for the replies!

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Well, i can comment on this myself now as I fished it last night and early this morning!

Nice stretch, there seems to be a deepish section in front of the caravan park itself, with a shallower section just downstream but accessed via the park. i chose the shallower section, as everything I've heard about the wye this season (regarding the barbel) is suggesting that they've spawned late and are still most likely to be around shallower areas.

I had a chat with a lovely old fella who'd been fishing a swim with caster and hemp, and he'd had around seven or eight chub and a rogue trout out of the swim. He explained he was just packing up, and advised me that I could do worse than drop in... bless him, he even left me half a tin of hemp and a few casters that he'd not used up.

I started fishing around 6.30pm and had a 3-6 chub on the first cast... then had to wait about another 30 mins before the rod absolutely heaved over... only for the 10lb hooklength to break. I started to wonder if that would be my only chance, but as it turned out, I had another 7 or 8 barbel bites which turned in to 4 on the bank, between 4 and 7 pounds. Delighted with the end result, but a bit miffed about the losses... maybe i need to change hooklength material to something more robust (i was using drennan double strength, which seemed to part company with the fish rather too easily!.... I'm open to ideas on this)

In the morning i returned to the same swim, had a couple of bites but it dried up at about 7am so I went home.

Overall, a nice venue with good access, shame there's not more swims in the lower part but otherwise nice.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am just putting together a barbel outfit in preparation for joining a club that has water on the Severn and several other rivers containing barbel. Based on what I have been told by members with experience of the rivers, size of fish, snags, etc I am going for 12lb Berkely Trilene Lo-Viz Green as reel line and 10lb Maxima Chameleon as hooklength.

I have around 40 yrs experience of flyfishing and went through a phase of using Drennan Double Strength for tippet material. I lost a lot of fish before switching to either Maxima Ultragreen or Maxima Clear which cured the bogey.

bullet

Reaction score
I can understand that,IMHO that Drennan Double Strength is terrible stuff for fly fishing.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Thanks Jack, i'll look into that. I was also thinking of using 8lb clear diawa sensor, as I've got a feeling it may well be tougher than the 10lb double strength

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Jack, i'll look into that. I was also thinking of using 8lb clear diawa sensor, as I've got a feeling it may well be tougher than the 10lb double strength

Drennan do a lot of quality gear, unfortunately Double Strength is not part of that portfolio IMHO. I would go for a darker line for river bed fishing and, also IMO, you won't do better than Maxima Chameleon. If you do go down the Daiwa Sensor route I would go for the standard brown. :thumbs:

Other opinions are, of course, available! :wh