New Big Fish Competition to Reward Great Catches

cg74

Reaction score
Sounds great but I doubt it'll inspire much interest with our northern brothers (unless they like travelling): "The winners will be decided on percentage of the current British record for that species – so in theory a gudgeon has as much chance of winning as a barbel."

Well apart from the serious ruffe anglers.....

... Oh and A pike. ;)

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
S'right, it'll be exactly the same as all the other competitions, if you live in a place where there are big fish, you will be rewarded, if you don't, tough luck. I've caught some big tench from Lancashire just lately, fish to well over nine pounds and exceptional fish for the region but they will never compare with fish swimming around in the pits in the south of England. From a personal point of view that doesn't matter to me, I have a sense of achievement but I'll never win a prize like this living in St. Helens.

I'd like to see more courage from the people who run such competitions and award the prizes on merit. A 13lb 2oz barbel from the Kennet is pretty mundane while a 13lb 1oz barbel from the Swale would be a huge fish yet the former would win under the proposed rules.