Retro (and cheap) fishing

mike Gibson

Reaction score
I picked up an old Sealey Octofloat split cane rod and an old Speedia centre pin from a boot fair a few months ago. I intended putting them on the wall, but they were such lovely bits of kit, it seemed a shame not to use them. So matched with a quill float I thought I would try a bit of retro fishing on my club lake last night. Had a few comments from the regulars along the lines of “Its Mr. Crabtree! back from the dead!”, but using mashed bread as groundbait and flake on the hook, I had a cracking evening. In just over three hours I had 10 tench to four pounds and a bonus roach of just under a pound. Wouldn’t have liked to hold the rod all day and casting more than two or three rod lengths out was a bit hit and miss, but it goes to show that the old gear still works.With a rod and reel for under a tenner and loaf of bread for 60p who says fishing is expensive?

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
It just goes to show that the fish don't know or care who or what is on the other end of the bait. If you fish in the right place & the bait & presentation are to their liking, then it doesn't matter if you are **** Walker or Joe Soap.

Keith M

Reaction score
I sometimes bring the old MkIV and centrepin out when I'm feeling in a nostalgic mood, it's great fun. which is what it's all about./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Old Wanderer

Reaction score
Must agree with those sentiments, we carry tons of gear these days and I'm as guilty as anybody/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

But a few weeks ago went to my local club fishery, with 4m pole, box maggots, landing net,couple of spare rigsin my pocket and a chair to sit on (my onlyconsession to old age and creaking bones/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif) and Ihad a reallyenjoyable session, nothing monsterous but a real nice 3 or four hours picking up roach/rudd/perch, went home with a smile on my mug /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Must have an old split cane rod and centrepin around somewhere, if not car boot sale here I come /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif