Simply Irresistible Baits

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
How many "Irresistible Baits" have you plonked on the nose of feeding fish; and caught nothing with?

I keep trying all these 'new' things and end up resorting to my own old ways to catch.

I hear you scream at me "don't believe the hype", well I am more cynical than that; I'm with you in saying that these baits are irresistible to anglers. Fishing time for me is quite sparse and very precious and I have felt that I am missing out on catching so I have been trying alternatives.

I have been coming to the conclusion that it is the state of where I fish that has become the problem rather than what I have been doing, but then I think that makes me look pig headed and a know-all, which I don't think I am:eek:

sagalout

Reaction score
Is there any proof that any of the offerings work better than the staple basic baits like bread, maggots, worms and pellets? I include pellets in the list because most waters have been stocked with farmed fish which are raised on pellets and pellets are cheap and convenient.

When the carp are cruising you can put a maggot on their nose and it is ignored. Put a bait, almost anything, in front of feeding fish and it will take it.

I fished a club water from first light to midday on saturday, and had 16 tench and lost 8. The other anglers turned up from 8am onwards on one had 2 tench and the other 2 had none. I fish very simple methods, float rod in the margins and a sleeper on the beeper with a small method feeder. All fish where taken on skretting coarse pellet or dead maggot, the method mix was ground skretting pellet with some dead maggots mix in. I think I caught because of the swim I was lucky enough to pick on arrival, and I was there when the fish where feeding.

I also wonder if being at a water when the fish are feeding heavily and getting some ground bait in gives the fish a place to concentrate on throughout the day.

terry m

Reaction score
Put a bait, almost anything, in front of feeding fish and it will take it.

That is exactly my experience. If the fish is not feeding, any bait will be ignored with the possible exception of some predators that will grab at a lure out of frustration, annoyance or curiosity.

nicepix

Reaction score
Maize or sweetcorn seems to be the 'to go' bait over here. I can fish it side by side with pellets or boilies and it out performs them almost every time.

Last night for example I had a single grain of maize float fished in around 6 feet of water a couple of rod lengths out, and alongside, just on the edge of the swim, a free running ledger rig with a large bait, 25mm pellet or a 22mm boilie of varying types. I had six carp out and one breakage and the maize bait resulted in all the bites and captures. Never had a touch on pellet or the boilies even though fish were feeding in the swim.

The only problem is is that maize is indiscriminate size and species wise. Whilst I've had my three biggest ever carp on maize, it is fair to say that I've also had my fair share of sub 10lb fish too. Double or one and a half boilies doesn't result in many bites, but when it does the average size is much bigger and I don't get pestered with bream or roach.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Let's not forget that before all the 'must have' baits appeared most of the big carp caught during the 50's and 60's (and before) were taken with bread on much cruder tackle than that of today.
Jerry

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Let's not forget that before all the 'must have' baits appeared most of the big carp caught during the 50's and 60's (and before) were taken with bread on much cruder tackle than that of today.
Jerry

**** Walker, and Mr Crabtree, favoured small par-boiled potatoes too.

barbelboi

Reaction score
**** Walker, and Mr Crabtree, favoured small par-boiled potatoes too.

Yep, some did Jack (often on trebles until the early 50's) but potato never produced big fish like bread did which was probably why most of the big fish of the time, including DW's record breaker, Ravioli, were caught on bread.
Jerry

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yep, some did Jack (often on trebles until the early 50's) but potato never produced big fish like bread did which was probably why most of the big fish of the time, including DW's record breaker, Ravioli, were caught on bread.
Jerry

Thought **** Walker's 44lb record breaker was christened Clarissa? :confused:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thought **** Walker's 44lb record breaker was christened Clarissa? :confused:

**** called it Ravioli, it was renamed by the London Zoo, and **** hated the name Clarissa and moaned about it for years.
Jerry
PS Oops, just remembered - Clarissa was the name used by an Evening News reporter that stuck, much to DW's anoyance.

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
When it comes to 'irresistible baits'.... there are so many variables. Some venues Luncheon meat is amazing - on others seems ineffectual (or less effective).

It should be remembered that bait for the most part is just a food source.

I do however have a few theories on pressure can influence the effectiveness of a commonly used bait. Oddly enough, its hard not to find a Carp that won't eat the most boldest of baits - simple bread! Is it that most anglers don't consider bread these days?

Did it go out of vogue due to conditioned fear? (blown)... Or did the bollie take over due to convenience?

A Chubby observation.... I fished a swim with white bread and received twitchy indecisive bites.... A switch to brown bread had the tip fly round....

I regret to this day not taking up the suggestion (much earlier) of one of my fishing buddies to take up brown bread and was quite adamant it would not be worth my while (sorry Rubio!)......

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Bread fell out of favour before boilies became the standard bait of choice for carp anglers. I think one reason is that it is so hard to keep in good condition especially in summer.

It is still a killing bait though. If I'm fishing near to reeds and the water is at least a foot deep I often put a few pieces of bread just inside the reeds and watch for movement. Its amazing how many times carp will come right into the reeds usually just before dark. Problem I have over here is that there is very little suitable bread available from local sources.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I think worms should attract more fish species than any other bait i can think of. I also reckon they are pretty irresistible to most. Problem is getting them to the fish without spooking it, fishing at range with them, or having enough to use. Rarely use them unless Perch fishing, but for many fish that have seen it all a worm would be my choice to get the take.

nicepix

Reaction score
I agree to a point.... but there are a number of subtle factors that kick in..... If it was good bait + good presentation + hungry fish =

well? that would be too easy..... If we substitute 'hungry' with 'starving'.... I guess it would be!

Fish do learn from their experiences - both positive and negative! They can even tell the time...... feed them at a regular time and they become conditioned over time to expect food on the bloody dot of time!!!

Bait is an important part of the equation.....

If your presentation is good.... and you know where they are.... its all you have left to play with;)

Your last line is the key to why so many anglers search out the magic bait. They either don't know how to locate fish or are drawn on barren pegs in matches.

chav professor

Reaction score
A change bait is useful... Don't get the presentation quite right first time - or miss a bite.... A change of bait (be that smell, density, color, whatever...) can sometimes trick a fish.....

different baits, or in-deed presentation can be irresistible one day... good as useless the next...

Thats the magic of fishing........

If anyone is actually seeking out the magic bait..... or thinks they have 'cracked it'........ very suss IMO......

cg74

Reaction score
I agree to a point.... but there are a number of subtle factors that kick in..... If it was good bait + good presentation + hungry fish =

well? that would be too easy..... If we substitute 'hungry' with 'starving'.... I guess it would be!

Fish do learn from their experiences - both positive and negative! They can even tell the time...... feed them at a regular time and they become conditioned over time to expect food on the bloody dot of time!!!

Bait is an important part of the equation.....

If your presentation is good.... and you know where they are.... its all you have left to play with;)

If it was too easy it'd become insipid very quickly but fish seldom read the manual and it's that uncertainty which makes it interesting and ultimately enjoyable.

Regards a baits irresistibility factor; nothing offer greater appeal than the humble maggot fished little n' often and a worm for chemical stimulus.

chav professor

Reaction score
If it was too easy it'd become insipid very quickly but fish seldom read the manual and it's that uncertainty which makes it interesting and ultimately enjoyable.

Regards a baits irresistibility factor; nothing offer greater appeal than the humble maggot fished little n' often and a worm for chemical stimulus.

The worm does have all those subtle chemical stimuli that are difficult to manufacture synthetically....

The maggot is KING.... but you need to induce competition to get them working to full effect. Hard feeding fish almost go into a trance (can't really think of a word that properly describes it)... when I was photograghing those chub - provided I had the majority feeding hard, pre-occupation took over and I could get pretty close and take 'risks' that a Chub would normally never tolerate.

If you can induce preoccupation its effective..... but more often than not, its inducing a bite from solitary or small groups of chub. In terms of size... I find that obscenely large baits are far more effective fished as solitary offerings than I had expected....

I have not yet managed to get an individual fish 'preoccupied'.... it requires numbers of fish to be truly effective.

Keith M

Reaction score
A Chubby observation.... I fished a swim with white bread and received twitchy indecisive bites.... A switch to brown bread had the tip fly round....
It's the same if I throw white bread out for the birds; if I throw Brown wholemeal bread out they fight over it but plain white bread usually stays there until I have to pick it up and throw it away; just shows how poor white bread can be nowerdays compared to yesteryear; when it used to be a brilliant bait; and explains why I also get far more takes when fishing with Warburtons seeded brown bread than with a plain white bread. LOL

Last edited: