Coarse Fishing Venue's - Hard to find

magicone

Reaction score
Friends and myself are finding it hard to find various coarse fishing stillwater venue's in our our area.

Searched on Google and the Agency sites, but some we fish now are not even listed on either.

We are looking for general coarse and carp, no matter whether its natural, commercial or club waters around SE Monmouthshire and bordering Gloucestershire. Currently choosing between Mathern Mill, Redhill Fishery and Lydney Lake. We know there are others but these come by "word of mouth" from other fishermen such as Noxon Pond in Forest of Dean.

Is there a website better than already mentioned listing stillwaters or is it just the Agency and others slow updating their database, or even if these other unknown venues keeping themselves from such databases.

thanks

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Not too good at the geography in your parts but arn't you near to what people describe as a wonderful river...The Wye??

magicone

Reaction score
Not too good at the geography in your parts but arn't you near to what people describe as a wonderful river...The Wye??

Yes we have the Wye to the right and the Usk to the left of us, but they are not we are looking for.

Ponds or Lakes.........

Yes we could tour the counties asking in various Tackle shops, but it would be easier to view online first to choose where to go. We met a guy at Redhill near monmouth recently who travelled from Staffordshire to fish, expect he found details online about the venue.??

thanks

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Friends and myself are finding it hard to find various coarse fishing stillwater venue's in our our area.

Searched on Google and the Agency sites, but some we fish now are not even listed on either.

We are looking for general coarse and carp, no matter whether its natural, commercial or club waters around SE Monmouthshire and bordering Gloucestershire. Currently choosing between Mathern Mill, Redhill Fishery and Lydney Lake. We know there are others but these come by "word of mouth" from other fishermen such as Noxon Pond in Forest of Dean.

Is there a website better than already mentioned listing stillwaters or is it just the Agency and others slow updating their database, or even if these other unknown venues keeping themselves from such databases.

thanks

Can I guess you are under 30 and probably under 25?

In the good old days anglers used to get up of the sofa and go to town (sometimes on the bus). When we were there we went to the tackle shop where we met other like minded people and joined clubs. This gave us access to loads of local waters and a network of real people to exchange information with.

I suggest you leave the screen for a while and get into the local fishing scene. You will meet people from every walk of life from louts to Lords and all will have a tale to tell about monster fish and secret lakes. While you are in the tackle shop you could also buy something to help keep this important local anglers resource going.

I know this sounds preachy but this sort of question saddens me. So called social media should be renamed anti-social media.

Keith M

Reaction score
I agree with Titus.

Each year I travel all the way down from Hertfordshire to a lake near Herefordshire which I came across by getting out and looking, and which holds some fabulous very large Roach together with some nice Tench and Carp; which is only a stone's throw from the Wye.

You just need to get down to your tackle shops and get advice on the better venues in the area and how to get permits or permissions to fish some of them (if they are not free). An ordinance survey map is also a very useful tool to have.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Can I guess you are under 30 and probably under 25?

In the good old days anglers used to get up of the sofa and go to town (sometimes on the bus). When we were there we went to the tackle shop where we met other like minded people and joined clubs. This gave us access to loads of local waters and a network of real people to exchange information with.

I suggest you leave the screen for a while and get into the local fishing scene. You will meet people from every walk of life from louts to Lords and all will have a tale to tell about monster fish and secret lakes. While you are in the tackle shop you could also buy something to help keep this important local anglers resource going.

I know this sounds preachy but this sort of question saddens me. So called social media should be renamed anti-social media.

I agree with the sentiments expressed in this post 100%. The irony is that I have read it on the web!! :eek:mg:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree with the sentiments expressed in this post 100%. The irony is that I have read it on the web!! :eek:mg:

Hows this for irony, while you were reading it I was down the tackle shop having a natter and a cup of tea.