weighing fish

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Having seen the way the fish are weighed in the Fish-o-mania rounds on Sky, is tipping a large amount of decent sized fish into a weight sling good fish angling practice?
Could this practice cause damage to the fish scales?

richiekelly

Reaction score
Bad angling practice, fish will be damaged by this practice particularly if small fish are at the bottom of the sling.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I generally don't use a keep net and very rarely weigh a fish
If I do way one it's in hte landing net and then back in to the water (weigh of net subtracted)

I have weigh sling which has been used a couple of times when a carp to large to weigh in the landing net was caught

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fish up to around 5lb are unhooked in the landing net, usually on my knee to the general detriment of my trousers! I use an unhooking mat with larger fish and the odd one I want to weigh is put into a wet mesh weigh sling.

BarryC

Reaction score
It seems to me that in match fishing the fish are no more than a expendable commodity.
The name of the game is pounds and ounces, or should that be pounds and pence.
No doubt most will pay lipservice to fish wellfare but not at the expense of a section win.
Fish are stocked regularly to keep weights up and I guess fish mortality is a built in factor.
Not much different to rearing and shooting game birds realy.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
No it's not good angling practice and I'm sure it does damage the fishes scales.
I've no interest in "bagging up" or "taking the place apart".
Having said that I'm perfectly happy to have a quiet midweek session at such places and accept that the owners need the matches to make ends meet.
It's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

C

chefster

All the matches i fish,are well run, 2 or more nets,silvers and small fish separate,bottom rings to be pulled through,whilst net still in water,weighing mats on grass,no rolling fish down nets,2 or 3 weighs or more if needed,its quick and efficient,to alleviate stress to fish,and quickly released...Chef :)

C

chefster

What I've seen of the Fish-o-mania it's a case of tipping fish from keep net to weight sling
No a good thing to show on tv

Basically the fish are tipped in but not from a great height ,just with the weigh sling supported....I cant really comment on fisho weigh-in,as i,ve not seen it..but ,no it is,nt good to show on TV.....Chef

sam vimes

Reaction score
I would seriously doubt that much of the general public could care less. The tree huggers couldn't really care, sticking a hook in fish is more than enough to get them worked up.

The reality is that the only people that have any concern about keepnets, weigh ins, unhooking mats etc are other anglers. The cynic in me sees this as an industry driven thing. Twenty years ago, very few were using unhooking mats, towel held fish were a common sight, pictures of huge bags of irish bream and roach spilling from a keepnet onto a sheet of polythene graced the AT/AM on a regular basis. Increased fish care standards are no bad thing, but it is getting a little extreme. The carp gear fish care kit arms race is incredible. Make no mistake, fish care is now it's own little money spinner. It has gone as far as some fisheries insisting on specific makes and models of cradle having to be used. Fine and dandy if they are fishery provided, a bit much if they aren't, especially if you have something similar already that doesn't happen to be the requisite make/model.

Just post a pic on a carp forum of a big carp without a whopping great unhooking mat beneath it, step back and wait for the grief. Even if the ground beneath is thick moss or grass, it makes little difference.

terry m

Reaction score
The Fish O mania weigh ins are a disgrace IMO.

I am astonished that Keith Arthur watches that happen and appears oblivious to it, then talks about fish welfare in his next breath.

Mind you it is Keith Arthur, so correction I am not astonished at all.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Fish O mania weigh ins are a disgrace IMO.

I am astonished that Keith Arthur watches that happen and appears oblivious to it, then talks about fish welfare in his next breath.

Mind you it is Keith Arthur, so correction I am not astonished at all.

Take a look at the weigh-ins at US bass pro-fishing championships, your jaw will hit the floor! :eek: