Bivvies on rivers

• Thread starter Paul (Brummie) Williams
  • Start date
P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I read in on of the weeklies that Bivvies on the Thames are starting to cause something of a stir.

Is it now time to apply a little common sense? personally i think so, river banks are not lakes they are used by many and if we are not careful we are going to put angling in a bad light with the general public.

Before anyone jumps on me i want to add that i love night fishing on rivers, i'm currently carping on rivers and it can be slow and yes i like some sort of shelter.....but not a large bivvy commandeering walkways and making the banks loook untidy etc.

Surely a brolly with storm sides is enough.....or my own fav, a 50in brolly for daytime and an old overwrap just thrown over at dusk and removed at dawn?

If those who are hell bent on going OTT continue we are going to lose more night fishing, mark my words.

What do you think?

F

Fred Bonney

I read somewhere that a Thames side local council are banning the use of bivvies as they class them as being used for camping.

They have byelaws covering no camping.

So, I agree with Paul's view.

The other problem is bite alarms creating problems with noise polution for residents.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Good point Fred....alarms, a great bit of kit.....that can if used wrongly cost us fishing.

I never take a bedchair on to rivers either.....my chair is so comfy i could kip in it if i wanted.

By first light my swim looks like any day angler.......

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"I read in one of the weeklies that Bivvies on the Thames are starting to cause something of a stir."

Why?

Take a look at any decent map and they would see that the 'populated' area of the Thames is minute!

Providing that river night anglers observe some simple (obvious) rules, then there really should be no problem.

Sounds to me like a storm in a tea cup started by that weekly 'newspaper'

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Not so sure in this case Peter.......it really bought it home to me, i first witnessed bivvies on the Teme about 15yrs ago.

Dispite a longtime spent in bivvies it bought a shiver to me.......perhaps a little self control and discretion?

But then again, i know the likes of you, Fred and Jimmy would know the "simple rules"..............but will the "simple"?

I really do believe that the wrong use of some of the tools of angling will cost us......................a bit like using a chain saw in a park?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
".......perhaps a little self control and discretion?"

That is what it is all about Paul.

I like to think that none of the regular FM contributors would never act in such a manner as to jeopardise continued fishing on any venue.

Deanos

Reaction score
There are times that I have been a bit angry about "no night rules" on the river stretches I fish, now....h'mmm I think the rule may be a god send.

Pop a brolly up for the night as you say, its enough for me on the night stretches I do fish.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I don't like rules either Deanos......................and have in the past had "understandings" with the decision makers.

Discretion can be a very happy medium /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Peter, i'm sure regular Fm'ers would never act in that way too.......