Rain

rains

Reaction score
Hi all i would like your views to fishing in the rain do you find you catch more in less in the rain ect :)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi all i would like your views to fishing in the rain do you find you catch more in less in the rain ect :)

My dad always said fishing was better in the rain. I find there's something very satisfying about fishing in the rain, whilst snug and dry under your brolly. It poured on me today but the fish didn't really show an interest until it stopped and the wind died down.

rains

Reaction score
My dad always said fishing was better in the rain. I find there's something very satisfying about fishing in the rain, whilst snug and dry under your brolly. It poured on me today but the fish didn't really show an interest until it stopped and the wind died down.
Totally agree about it being relaxing

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I don't mind fishing in the rain so long as I am all set up.

With regards to it being better or worse; the rain can make no odds, kill, cure [when I'm struggling] or really switch them on; not sure what the ratio would be though.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Depends entirely on the circumstances. Rain can put a stop to a feeding spell, start a feeding spell, or have no impact whatsoever. It's very hard to predict what might happen.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
For tench and roach, i would say light drizzle and muggy conditions are pretty ideal. Some like a good breeze too, with it lashing down. This is often reckoned best for bream.

For other species not sure it matters so much - chub and dace can feed on sunny days.

Low light levels are generally good i think, probably why dawn or dusk are generally best times.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Not a lot in it, below is my total fishing for the last 12 years, all species:-
sunny-22%
sun/cloud-19%
overcast-27%
rain-32%

But, it does vary for species individually.

Keith M

Reaction score
In my experience whether rain is better or worse for fishing depends on several things; including:

Temperatures: Whether the rain is having a cooling effect on the water or is warming it up can have totally different effects at different times of the year.

Venue Location: e.g. On a venue where rain water is draining off roads and motorways etc it can often spell the kiss of death.

In general: I usually catch more 'in between' showers than in the rain; also on a very warm day it seems to oxygenate the water slightly and improve the fishing a tad.

Keith

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Other than the discomfort and debilitation that rain brings it can be beneficial in masking sounds and sights allowing you to get closer to the fish. I've always felt more confident in overcast or cloudy conditions rather than blue skies so markg's data came as a bit of a surprise.

Yesterday I fished through several electrical storms and bouts of torrential rain. The swim was only about 2 foot deep yet the fish were feeding confidently all the time so they don't seem bothered about the noise that a storm brings.