How did everyone get on then?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a couple of hours trotting, landed two barbel and lost one after only 20 or so seconds on the hook.

Last edited:

lancepk

Reaction score
I went in the morning and caught a 3lb jack on a spinner and a 2 1/2lb chub on bread :)

chav professor

Reaction score
5 Chub..... 2lb15oz, 4lb1oz, 2lb2oz, 5lb and 2lb5oz..... All caught on the simplest of methods... free-lined 'naturals'....

Its the best start to a season I've had in years..

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I was feeder fishing an entirely new stretch (to me) of the thames upstream of abingdon. First cast (maggot feeder) to the centre, no bites were forthcoming, however the maggots got nailed half way back on the retrieve by a jack pike of about a pound and a half, good fun on the feeder rod and squarely in the scissors so I landed him.

Second cast, I went for an inside line near an oveer hanging tree. Rod was nearly pulled off the rest.... by a six inch chublet! Out goes the feeder again, roughly the same spot... bite was missed this time.

And that was it!! Not another sniff of a bite all morning. A rain shower and the thought of a roast dinner at home had me packing up at midday. However, not the worst start to the season I can remember. My best catch was yet to come - at home - I managed 5 yorkshire puddings on account of it being father's day!! :)

fozzie41

Reaction score
Caught my first carp and bream yesterday. If i wasn't hooked on fishing before, I definitely am now!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It would be a lot more interesting if posters named the river they were fishing.
Jim C. is the only one so far to do so.
I was on the Colne (SW Herts) at 5am yesterday and started on a blockend with chopped worm and Dendra on the hook. Crayfish kept nipping at the bait so I moved to another peg and trotted maggot down a long glide.
2 small chub and some fat minnows was all I could muster.
A bit disappointing really as the colour and flow were sock on.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
And that reminds me, I had a crayfish too, nasty little b**ger managed to get a size 16 down his gob!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A glorious blank for me but very nice to get it out of the way, looking forward to settling down to some decent fishing once duffers fortnight is out of the way and the banks return to their normal empty state.

souliedave

Reaction score
Hi Binka, Went on The Severn, Sydney Avenue, Shrewsbury, Arrived around 6pm Saturday, Wandered down the stretch, Thinking to myself "Ooh I love this place". The River was low but apparently had risen about 9" to a foot since Wednesday, a nice colour to it, A few more Anglers started to arrive, there was a kind of party atmosphere, I then had a bite to eat and a couple of can's, then set up my Rods and Kit, finally a couple of hours kip in my car courtesy of my sleeping bag, i woke at 3-45 am, quick brew, I started fishing at 4 am, and was packed up to go home by 11-30 am, Sorry to say this, Around 25 Anglers, 1 Barbel about 3.5lb caught between us, no other Barbel, no Chub, no Roach, no Dace or Bleak, not even any Minnows and it's normally Stuffed with them, it was Completely Devoid of any Aquatic Life, no Streamer weed, the bottom was just Silt and Mud, There was a rake of Salmon Anglers on the weir, nothing there either, I've been fishing here for years and years, There's Something Seriously Wrong and it's an Absolute Shame to see the River like this, I'm not Slagging the place off, like I said I love the place, but it makes me feel why travel all the way from Manchester for that, when i can get it on my own doorstep. i'm really upset by this, but I won't write the place off, it's been too good to me to do that. I Also Posted on Angling Times, Anglers Mail, and Angling Trust Facebook pages, but had no replies, "I'm Only A Little Man" and because of this my voice won't be heard.:mad:

Last edited:

vort

Reaction score
My daughter and I went to Tucking Mill near Bath.
This was her first fishing trip ever and the first for me in 40 years!

I made sure my daughter caught something by using very light tackle. We were pulling in little roach and bream of a few ounces until we lost count. As we were packing up, half a dozen carp of single figure size came out of a reed bed to hoover up the odd bits of bread that were floating on the surface. We will have a go at them next time.

elliottwaters

Reaction score
Not too bad at all really. Fished the Medway, just downstream of Tonbridge. Took sometime to get the fish going but once they were “on” had a real mixed bag with roach, bleak, gudgeon, small chub, perch, bream, a bootlace eel and a ruffe. Nothing over a pound, but great fun.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Went to the Dearne and tried trotting maggots and corn to no avail. Set up a leger rod and tried meat, bread and a big bunch of maggots. Had a few nibbles with the bunch of maggots, but they were obviously small fish and no proper bite developed. So a glorious blank for me.

P6160002_zps19727f5f.jpg

Talked to a few other anglers and no-one seemed to have done much. Went with TincaTim who managed a gudgeon, a roach and some kind of strange hybrid all within the first hour or so and then nowt.

P6160003_zpsa5adcbb1.jpg

Busy day up there though, saw at least 10 anglers either already there on on their way up, including one guy who had bivvied up for the night.

Oh and a nice little family passed by a couple of times.

P6160004_zpsb34a18b0.jpg

jimlad

Reaction score
Just the one for me, but a nice start to the year. This one from the swale...

P1020524_zpsd8c857ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimlad

Reaction score
I had a couple of hours trotting, landed two barbel and lost one after only 20 or so seconds on the hook.

That's a lovely barbel, which river if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicepix

Reaction score
Busy yesterday but managed five hours this afternoon at a large public lake. Plans had to be amended somewhat as the forecast was for violent thunderstorms - and they were right.

Got to my first spot to reccy and there were carp all over the place so I went back to the car, got a rod and bait and returned to the water just before the heavens opened. Sitting under my poncho dunking a single grain of sweetcorn under the rod end saw me with two decent carp in the first half hour.

I had to rush the second due to the electric storm and in doing so broke my landing net pole. I left the rod and other stuff where it was and went back to the car to get an emergency landing net handle in the shape of a five foot bank stick. While I was there I also picked up the chair and brolly and got set up for the rest of the afternoon.

I kept trickling bait in and fishing under the rod end using a trout fishing strike indicator as a float, Blu-Tac as shot and a single grain of sweetcorn on a 10 hook to 10lb Fluoro' hook length. The fish came and went and I ended up with 7 carp between 8.5 and 17.12 lbs and a couple of bream in five hours. At one point I saw lightening strike the church tower less than 1 kilometer from me so I had to wind in and sit tight for a while.

fruitowl

Reaction score
I went on the severn below Hampton loade on Monday morning river had good depth and colour.
must be one of my shortest attempts 3 hrs nothing not even a liner tried pellet, luncheon, meat, garlic spam, paste, with groundbait without groundbait, rain came in and that was it.
went to a tackle shop in bridgnorth on way home they reckon rivers are about a month behind where they should be.
they ran a match on sunday 42 anglers and only 3 barbel plus some chub and a few other fish.
not a good start hopefully temps will pick up and improve fishing

nicepix

Reaction score
Went to the Dearne and tried trotting maggots and corn to no avail. Set up a leger rod and tried meat, bread and a big bunch of maggots. Had a few nibbles with the bunch of maggots, but they were obviously small fish and no proper bite developed. So a glorious blank for me.

The Dearne is a difficult river Neil. You'll get some lovely chub on the Cat Hill to Bolton stretch by ledgering luncheon meat in likely looking swims. If you don't get a bite in 15 minutes move on. There is usually a large shoal of dace just upstream of the by-pass bridge that will test your reflexes and the stretch immediately downstream holds some of the rare roach, but you'll need waders to exploit the swim best.